Ordinances

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What are the ordinances that are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11: 2 that Paul expects his followers to keep?

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

:)
I don't know the answer. But the Greek word occurs in the NT 13 times, and in the KJV is translated "traditions" in all verses except this one.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Most might agree they are baptism and Lord's table.
Now comes the snag of who may approve the one who gives or recieves.
Then fitting Eph. 2 : 15 along with the other verses.

That is what I was thinking as well. The verse discusses the Sacrament (or Lord's table), but I thought it would be fun to ask anyway.

Thanks for the input.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are the ordinances that are mentioned in 1 Corinthians 11: 2 that Paul expects his followers to keep?

2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

Ordinances mean all the teachings that he gave.

I think the meaning is same as in this:

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
Mat. 28:19-20

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

See the expanded definition from Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon here:

Greek Lexicon :: G3862 (KJV)

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ordinances mean all the teachings that he gave.

I think the meaning is same as in this:

Therefore go, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I commanded you. Behold, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.
Mat. 28:19-20

You are suggesting that these are not ordinances as we understand the word, but rather just the teachings he gave them.

Interesting. Thank you for your input.

Upvote 0

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Ran77, if you're looking for the earliest extra-Biblical evidence of Christian traditions, you might want to take a look at the Didache. It's often dated to the first century.

Thank you.

I'm not really looking for anything specific. I was just interested in what others had to offer on the verse.

Upvote 0