Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
I think that in this country of 300 million people, surely we could find someone with social stances similar to Ms. Winfrey's, but who also has a solid science background, and who has significant political experience (senator, governor, mayor of a large city, etc.). That's the person I want to vote for.

You are asking for a decent candidate. That will never happen anywhere in the world, by nature of this reality.

That is why partisanship and nationalism is so important: it trains the voting citizen to ignore the incorrigibility of a candidate in exchange for the sensationalism of treating elections like sporting events instead of life-altering decision making.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Profit over data? That’s Trump’s forte.

I would agree 100%...that's why I'm in the camp that says we should probably stick with someone who isn't a celebrity profiteer.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would agree 100%...that's why I'm in the camp that says we should probably stick with someone who isn't a celebrity profiteer.
Been there, done that and got stiffed on the tee shirt.
ra,relaxed_fit,x2000,fafafa:ca443f4786,front-c,295,163,750,1000-bg,f8f8f8.jpg

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When I think of the people I personally know that are all about doing the latest essential snake oil, they are all conservatives.
Speaking about snakeoil, we thought it had no effect whatsoever.
Did You know that snake poison and botox have one thing in common, it desentisices wherever it penetrates...that is why some creams that contain snakepoison have effect against wrinkles. Homemade it is easily done if one has snakes knows where the poisongland is and has a method of killing snakes and knows how to mix oil and beewax into a cream and voila' You have Your homemade natural botox or snakeoil. It might be legal to kill certain snakes on your yard, hear with the veterinary or read in the laws and regulations of Your country.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Speaking about snakeoil, we thought it had no effect whatsoever.
Did You know that snake poison and botox have one thing in common, it desentisices wherever it penetrates...that is why some creams that contain snakepoison have effect against wrinkles. Homemade it is easily done if one has snakes knows where the poisongland is and has a method of killing snakes and knows how to mix oil and beewax into a cream and voila' You have Your homemade natural botox or snakeoil. It might be legal to kill certain snakes on your yard, hear with the veterinary or read in the laws and regulations of Your country.
Fascinating.

Upvote 0

Roseonathorn

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
Finland
✟131,729.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fascinating.
In Estonia a tradition is to put a snake in a bottle of vodka and let it be there at least a year so the venom blends with the alcohol. A known to me made such thing and put it in a friends fridge and It still somewhat surprises me when I open her fridge. It is said to help against caughing and sneezing when one has a cold. Well I do not know but that dead snake does not look friendly.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Estonia a tradition is to put a snake in a bottle of vodka and let it be there at least a year so the venom blends with the alcohol. A known to me such thing and put it in a friends fridge and It still somewhat surprises me when I open her fridge. It is said to help against caughing and sneezing when one has a cold. Well I do not know but that dead snake does not look friendly.
Beats Tequila and a worm?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yet so many people who likely are pre-emptively attacking Oprah "just in case" voted for an actual Charlatan
I don't know if, "The current guy is a charlatan lets replace him with another one!" is really a winning plan, but you do you.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,831.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is moments like this that make me shake my head, and believe that powers that be are twisting online media to their agenda. I know I responded to @GoldenBoy89 and even received responses to my post, but where is the thread? I have nothing in my content on my profile since december 2017. Where did the entire conversation go? And why do I have no record of it happening on my profile? This is reminiscent of when pro Trump tweets and or Facebook posts get deleted from my accounts.

You see... I still have a record in my internet history so I know I'm not crazy. The conversation did happen.

View attachment 218000

But the entire conversation is gone. Maybe Hillary thought it was an email.
View attachment 217999

What was said about Oprah we aren't supposed to be discussing on CF?
That thread has been closed, most likely due to multiple rule violations.

That said, and just to cover my bases... All hail the Mighty O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know if, "The current guy is a charlatan lets replace him with another one!" is really a winning plan, but you do you.

Agreed. I don't care for our society being turned into a true idiocracy where we are left with nothing but running talk show hosts against reality show hosts.

I just think the criticism is funny.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If Oprah gets the nomination, I'd be tempted to vote Republican. :sigh:

Or at least independent.

I have my doubts that Oprah would be as anti-science as some of her past guests from her talk show might have been. She simply can't be much more anti-science than the current administration already is so in that regard I'd call her an improvement.

Part of me actually prefers "anti-science" in pursuit of profit vs "anti-science" just for the sake of being a new age doof. I mean, if you're gonna screw things up, at least get rich off of it.

• Haha
Reactions: TerranceL
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok, I get where you're going. However closed threads are still accessible, and the ratings, and the alerts remain present also. You just can't respond. It is "Not open for further replies".

And you will get one of these:
View attachment 218003

See the lock? Yet I can still read the thread.
View attachment 218002

The conversation I am addressing is gone. It isn't even listed in my 'content' and the rating I received is gone. I wonder if it is even in any participants 'My Content".

Please forgive me. I find it odd that the entire conversation was deleted without a PM or anything.

Im done.. please continue, and have a great new year.

Mods will delete threads as well, not just lock them from further discussion. It's not a conspiracy, I've seen lots of threads get deleted, the vast majority being threads which violated the TOS.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You mean the vaccinations-cause-autism, and smoked-kale-cures-cancer crowds? That science-loving bunch?
If you mix coconut oil into your kale, it's easier to scrape off your plate and into the trash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are certainly correct in that we shouldn’t be holding up a(nother) charlatan for POTUS.

Equally, quite a lot of the alternative medicine woo crowd are situated irritatingly within the left, like a shard of glass in the urinary tract
My aunt's family is very east Texas conservative, but they embrace all sorts of alt-med woo (the other night on Facebook they seriously were recommending potatoes in your socks as a cure) and anti-vax is politically ecumenical.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My aunt's family is very east Texas conservative, but they embrace all sorts of alt-med woo (the other night on Facebook they seriously were recommending potatoes in your socks as a cure) and anti-vax is politically ecumenical.

Anybody seen the SNL Black Jeopardy skit with Tom Hanks? I'm reminded of that by the talk of how these ideas span disparate cultures.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Anybody seen the SNL Black Jeopardy skit with Tom Hanks? I'm reminded of that by the talk of how these ideas span disparate cultures.
Yes! That was absolute genius, and you're right.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Oprah Winfrey gave a well-received speech about racism and sexism at the Golden Globes on Sunday night, and now there’s rumor of a presidential run – but we should hold off on the excitement and think about what that would actually mean for science. To take the question seriously, future president Winfrey’s track record in this area is not actually reassuring. Look at the list of dubious characters whose careers she’s used her television show and media empire to promote:

Read more at: Oprah’s Record of Promoting Charlatans Is Problematic At Best.

I thought this was an interesting article that could make for an interesting discussion and perhaps create some strange bedfellows in this forum.

We know Oprah’s political affiliations...we know which people oppose her for that. However, we know those same people are the ones who are often in the camp of embracing alternative medicine, as Oprah’s been known to do on the examples listed.

On the flip side, we also know that the people who support Oprah for her political and social stances are also the same ones who are staunch advocates for adhering to science, and make some pretty major criticisms against the GOP for no doing so.

Thoughts?

Precisely.

Right now, Oprah is the second coming of the Lightbringer. *eyeroll* The second she declares, the whole history of her televised show--and that is a LOT--would come to the fore. A lot of it is downright kooky and embarrassing, and in an age where visual is everything, it's all recorded.

Within weeks she would stop being Oprah and be just another candidate. Not only that, but she would immediately have to take a stand on controversial issues, which in many cases she has never done before. Many people would still adore her, but believe me, she would lose shine for a LOT of middle of the road Americans. And very fast.

Upvote 0