[Open]What makes you liberal?

spinningtutu

Jun 5, 2005
✟3,648.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I find the labels and terms to be of little use. In the general usage of words like liberal and conservative, they are always relative to a different standpoint. Because of the overall atmosphere of CF, I find that my posts tend to have the best reception in the so-called 'liberal' areas. Yet, I don't see myself as a 'Liberal'. I think in the US, for a very long time, the word 'Liberal' has been connected to one particular group of people, to the point where one cannot use 'liberal' without implying 'Liberal'. Thus the word has no real purpose, even though it should...

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
tattedsaint said:
i'm curious about this. so basically any kind of systematic thought than what you currently hold will stop you from loving as Christ loved and to share the love of God?

i'm just asking this, cause i don't see how any systematic thought could hinder someone from doing such a thing...even including conservative thinking.
i'm going to say this as best as i can. i was raised to believed homosexuality are both fundamently wrong, and therefore a sin in my book. I just could not get into my head that what i view as sin, can be tolerated as being okay, despite the fact the scriptures condemn sin. I honestly try to be open minded, but there's only so far i can go. i don't hate gays. in fact i have a good friend that's gay, and she knows, that believe her lifestyle's sin, but nonetheless, my conscience still will put as a sin, that's probally makes me kinda moderate or conservative and thus tend to avoid liberal christianity. so these are my words. i'd appreciate positive input. No bashing me please, i've already had folks bash me for my beliefs as it is.

Upvote 0

felinity

Veteran
Oct 11, 2005
✟17,761.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I'm liberal because I don't believe I have all the answers -- but I don't believe any other human being has all the answers, either.

I'm liberal because I try to live my life in accordance with my own beliefs, but I have enough faith in humanity to let others do the same, without my ridicule or disapproval.

I'm liberal because I've seen such abhorrent examples of conservatism in my life, but I'm coming to understand that those examples don't personify conservatism.

I'm liberal because I'm learning.

Always learning.

Upvote 0

march56

May 15, 2006
Wine country Temecula
✟7,925.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Freedom&Light said:
Hi there!

I often describe myself as very liberal to my conservative friends and conservative to my liberal friends.

What is it exactly that makes someone liberal?

Is it where one falls point by point on key issues? Or is the willingness to say that my way may be totally wrong and yours may be totally right- but that there's no way to be 100% sure of either way.

My conservative friends think I'm liberal in that I can say that we don't know everything for a fact- there is a lot we accept on faith. Which means that there is a potential that Christians, pro-lifers, opposers of birth control....there is the potential that that view may be wrong.

My liberal friends think I'm really conservative because I am Christian, prolife/choice, against hormonal birth control.....but like it in that I don't make anyone conform to my beliefs.

So, in your opinion...what makes you liberal? Is it the stance you take on issues, the way you interpret the Bible?

:wave:
O.K. I have a very simplistic view of this whole set of issues. It all boils down to responsibility.
Liberals believe no one should be responsible for what they do or don't do, hence the government should do for others what they can't or won't do for themselves. This kind of reasoning permeates all facets of life then to a persons criminal activity... somehow they weren't responsible , their parents didn't raise them correctly or they slipped through the cracks and the government is at fault....and on and on...
Once you beleive that people should be responsible for their own actions then you become a conservative. I myself think the biggest cop out in life is to not take responsiblity; to pass the buck... take the easy way out.... everything is somehow someone elses fault. Rubbish rubbish rubbish....
Here's a test: if you sin is it Adam and eve's fault because they brought sin into the world? Is it Gods fault because He brought Adam and Eve into the world? Is it the serpents fault because he tempted Adam and Eve in the garden? Then would it be Gods fault for creating Michael? No way ..... ultimately it is our fault if we sin even though we have a sinful nature. And it is our responsibility to get ourselves right with God.
-M.C.

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
1. I'm a universalist. I believe that while there is a Hell and it is eternal in the sense that one could effectively remain there forever if they were stubborn enough, a person is saved from Hell when they have sincerely repented and shown God a true desire to follow Him. Note that I didn't say "a true desire to get out of Hell." I believe that a soul will remain in its sins, and thus in Hell, until it can finally let go of itself and repent. In light of this, I believe that while Hell will exist eternally, and that the darkest of hearts could remain there for eons, all will eventually realize their true error and come to Christ.

2. I don't believe that any one person's doctrine is completely correct. We all have some things right and some things wrong, but we won't know the full Truth until we are with God. Thus, divisions over denomination and the like are futile and ultimately counterproductive to spiritual growth, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I have become somewhat libertarian in my beliefs concerning social issues lately. When I was 17 I believed we needed to regulate society for the sake of the children and those who are "lost." I felt we needed, for example, to legislate homosexual marriages and outlaw abortion.

Now that i'm 21, however, I feel differently about those issues. Although i'm still pro-life I don't necessarily think we need to regulate abortion. I also feel stem cell research is a great medical breakthrough. I've begun sympathizing with homosexuals and feel positively toward them now. That doesn't mean they aren't sinning, though, just that we don't need to regulate against them.

Also, since i've decided to become a criminal justice psychologist specializing in sex offenders, i've researched into them and i've become more forgiving towards various sex offenders - I used to think they all deserved to be shot :( ... not very god-like. I feel forgiveness and understanding of even the most sinful of our society is something i've gained a lot in the last couple of years - this, I feel, is a liberal attribute.

So i've definitely become more liberal/libertarian. I am also not much of a free market type of person - I feel our society (meaning America) emphasizes too much on the materialistic needs of the individual and less of the spiritual needs of the community.

:sorry: I'm rambling now...

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Liberals believe no one should be responsible for what they do or don't do,

Sorry, but that's nonsense. Liberals believe, for instance, in taking our share in the responsibility for other peoples' welfare.

Conservative tend to think that the 11th commandment is "look after No.1".

Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
artybloke said:
Sorry, but that's nonsense. Liberals believe, for instance, in taking our share in the responsibility for other peoples' welfare.

Conservative tend to think that the 11th commandment is "look after No.1".
Hmm, well, in that sense, I am definitely conservative. I believe more in the saying that you help someone more by teaching them how to fish than by giving them a fish (or something like that :) ).
As far as my Christian views, I have no idea if I qualify as liberal or not.
I don't wish to be legalistic and follow a bunch of rules just for the sake of following rules. I wish to follow the living Christ and live Him and allow Him to live through me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Freedom&Light said:
Hi there!

I often describe myself as very liberal to my conservative friends and conservative to my liberal friends.

What is it exactly that makes someone liberal?

Is it where one falls point by point on key issues? Or is the willingness to say that my way may be totally wrong and yours may be totally right- but that there's no way to be 100% sure of either way.

My conservative friends think I'm liberal in that I can say that we don't know everything for a fact- there is a lot we accept on faith. Which means that there is a potential that Christians, pro-lifers, opposers of birth control....there is the potential that that view may be wrong.

My liberal friends think I'm really conservative because I am Christian, prolife/choice, against hormonal birth control.....but like it in that I don't make anyone conform to my beliefs.

So, in your opinion...what makes you liberal? Is it the stance you take on issues, the way you interpret the Bible?

:wave:

I really do not like putting a lable on myself.

I think I fall somewhere inbetween.

The Bible helps me quite a bit but I read it carefully anymore.

Compared to snipping verses & running with them.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
higgs2 said:
Hmmm. I think it's because I look at issues from several different perpectives, and try to understand other viewpoints even if I don't agree with them.

:sigh:

It's a curse.

Same here.

It can drive you a bit bonkers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
T

Teshi

eRev said:
My belief in freedom is what makes me liberal.

Beyond Xp anything goes. I am not promoting sin, just freedom.

:amen:

The way I see it: without the freedom to choose a course of action, what sin is there in doing wrong? What virtue in doing good? Someone cannot be coerced into spirituality or religosity, they must come by their own choice.

Upvote 0