Proud member of the Loud Few
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
✟23,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BigToe, I was simply trying to keep people from getting warnings nothing more. I don't mod in here so I can't threaten any action. It was more of a heads up since i Have seen it happen before and didn't want to see anyone get warned over it here.

Upvote 0

BigToe

You are my itchy sweater.
Jun 24, 2003
Sudzo's Purple Palace of Snuggles
Visit site
✟35,932.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Oh I completely understand why you said what you said, and it was nice of you to give folks a heads up. I just think a lot of us haven't heard of open theism before and as such don't know what it is to even know how we'd be breaking any rules. But I suppose we should just learn in the thread CaDan started and then that would help people avoid warnings :)

Upvote 0

inquisitor_11

Viva la revolucion!
Feb 26, 2004
Caves Beach
✟15,963.00
Faith
Christian
Im not trying to be deliberately provocative or debate the rules, and I think that CF has done quite a a good job at maintaining a fairly inclusive environment.

This decision (and interpretation of the Nicene Creed) makes me wonder how long it will be till the noose tightens on Theistic Evolution. After all, it does say "Maker of Heaven and Earth"....

Reactions: Loki
Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Ok, here is my question, and perhaps I'm being too simplistic or too dense, or both.

A. One aspect of Open Theism states that God does not know the future.
B. Nicene Creed states that Jesus Christ is God.

C. Ergo, Jesus Christ would not know the future.

D. But, Jesus Christ knows Judas will betray Him. (ie: prediction of future event)
E. Jesus Christ predicts His own death (ie: prediction of future event)
F. Jesus Christ predicts His own resurrection (ie: prediction of future event)

See where I'm going with this?

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nyj said:
Ok, here is my question, and perhaps I'm being too simplistic or too dense, or both.

A. One aspect of Open Theism states that God does not know the future.
B. Nicene Creed states that Jesus Christ is God.

C. Ergo, Jesus Christ would not know the future.

D. But, Jesus Christ knows Judas will betray Him. (ie: prediction of future event)
E. Jesus Christ predicts His own death (ie: prediction of future event)
F. Jesus Christ predicts His own resurrection (ie: prediction of future event)

See where I'm going with this?

My very rough understanding is that OpTh suggests that God experiences time sort of like the way we do. Because the future does not exist, it is not knowable at all. Now, because God knows a lot more about the past and the present than we do, God can make really good predictions about the future--certainly better than ours! And because God is still omnipotent, God can promise to do things in the future.

This is what I have been able to glean from the web--which seems to over-represent the views of those in opposition. The entire thing strikes me as a very speculative attempt to explain some problematic verses in the OT.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.