Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Scenes from Chapter II. The Market-Place

The door of the jail being flung open from within there appeared, in the first place, like a black shadow emerging into sunshine, the grim and gristly presence of the town-beadle, with a sword by his side, and his staff of office in his hand. This personage prefigured and represented in his aspect the whole dismal severity of the Puritanic code of law, which it was his business to administer in its final and closest application to the offender. Stretching forth the official staff in his left hand, he laid his right upon the shoulder of a young woman, whom he thus drew forward, until, on the threshold of the prison-door, she repelled him, by an action marked with natural dignity and force of character, and stepped into the open air as if by her own free will. She bore in her arms a child, a baby of some three months old, who winked and turned aside its little face from the too vivid light of day; because its existence, heretofore, had brought it acquaintance only with the grey twilight of a dungeon, or other darksome apartment of the prison.

The grim beadle now made a gesture with his staff. "Make way, good people--make way, in the King's name!" cried he. "Open a passage; and I promise ye, Mistress Prynne shall be set where man, woman, and child may have a fair sight of her brave apparel from this time till an hour past meridian. A blessing on the righteous colony of the Massachusetts, where iniquity is dragged out into the sunshine! Come along, Madame Hester, and show your scarlet letter in the market-place!"

It was no great distance, in those days, from the prison door to the market-place. Measured by the prisoner's experience, however, it might be reckoned a journey of some length; for haughty as her demeanour was, she perchance underwent an agony from every footstep of those that thronged to see her, as if her heart had been flung into the street for them all to spurn and trample upon. In our nature, however, there is a provision, alike marvellous and merciful, that the sufferer should never know the intensity of what he endures by its present torture, but chiefly by the pang that rankles after it.

Had there been a Papist among the crowd of Puritans, he might have seen in this beautiful woman, so picturesque in her attire and mien, and with the infant at her bosom, an object to remind him of the image of Divine Maternity, which so many illustrious painters have vied with one another to represent; something which should remind him, indeed, but only by contrast, of that sacred image of sinless motherhood, whose infant was to redeem the world. Here, there was the taint of deepest sin in the most sacred quality of human life, working such effect, that the world was only the darker for this woman's beauty, and the more lost for the infant that she had borne.

But, under the leaden infliction which it was her doom to endure, she felt, at moments, as if she must needs shriek out with the full power of her lungs, and cast herself from the scaffold down upon the ground, or else go mad at once.

Lastly, in lieu of these shifting scenes, came back the rude market-place of the Puritan, settlement, with all the townspeople assembled, and levelling their stern regards at Hester Prynne--yes, at herself--who stood on the scaffold of the pillory, an infant on her arm, and the letter A, in scarlet, fantastically embroidered with gold thread, upon her bosom.

Could it be true? She clutched the child so fiercely to her breast that it sent forth a cry; she turned her eyes downward at the scarlet letter, and even touched it with her finger, to assure herself that the infant and the shame were real. Yes these were her realities--all else had vanished

Reactions: Gwendolyn

Annabel Lee

Beware the Thought Police
Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I know a discussion of inner sin versus outer sin could be interesting. I do ask that only those posters familiar with the story contribute. I'm also assuming that this book is still required reading in highschool.

Who was the real sinner in this story?

This woman?

"What do we talk of marks and brands, whether on the bodice of her gown or the flesh of her forehead?" cried another female, the ugliest as well as the most pitiless of these self-constituted judges. "This woman has brought shame upon us all, and ought to die; Is there not law for it? Truly there is, both in the Scripture and the statute-book. Then let the magistrates, who have made it of no effect, thank themselves if their own wives and daughters go astray"

Chillingsworth?

Dimmesdale?

The Elders?

Possibly the entire heartless Puritan village.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Annabel Lee said:
"What do we talk of marks and brands, whether on the bodice of her gown or the flesh of her forehead?" cried another female, the ugliest as well as the most pitiless of these self-constituted judges. "This woman has brought shame upon us all, and ought to die; Is there not law for it? Truly there is, both in the Scripture and the statute-book. Then let the magistrates, who have made it of no effect, thank themselves if their own wives and daughters go astray"
I am struck again by the horrible self-contradiction of this male-centered morality that punished women so mercilessly, yet, as this female says, it is the men's fault (for not having exercised enough control) if their women go astray. So: IS the woman responsible and punishable for her acts; or is she an intellectual and spiritual minor who needs constant control (but then why punish HER for the consequences of not having had it)?

Upvote 0

Poohbear246

Feb 17, 2005
✟1,702.00
Faith
Catholic
I always found Hester's inability to forgive herself.....puzzling. Even after, as Hawthorne tells us, Pearl moves on to become a fine lady in England, Hester remains in America. Pearl, as you might remember, constantly reminds Hester of the Scarlet Letter through her very existence, and her preternaturally precocious demeanor. With Pearl grown up and tamed as it were, Hester is free to go wherever she wishes, yet chooses to remain at the site of her sin. The letter A is engraved on her tombstone.

Should she have let her past actions define the rest of her life, long after the deaths of Chillingworth, Dimmesdale, et. al.? Her status as an angel of comfort redeems her, but she doesn't allow herself be redeemed....she seems crushed under the weight of her sin despite her status as angel.

I was going to say that Hawthorne doesn't let women triumph over their faults, but really he doesn't let *anyone* do so in this book!

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Annabel Lee said:
I know a discussion of inner sin versus outer sin could be interesting. I do ask that only those posters familiar with the story contribute. I'm also assuming that this book is still required reading in highschool.

Who was the real sinner in this story?

This woman?

Chillingsworth?

Dimmesdale?

The Elders?

Possibly the entire heartless Puritan village.

This is one of my favourite novels. Awesome idea for a thread, Annabel. When I get back from work I'd be happy to contribute. :)

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Globalnomad said:
I am struck again by the horrible self-contradiction of this male-centered morality that punished women so mercilessly, yet, as this female says, it is the men's fault (for not having exercised enough control) if their women go astray. So: IS the woman responsible and punishable for her acts; or is she an intellectual and spiritual minor who needs constant control (but then why punish HER for the consequences of not having had it)?

She was definitely treated as an intellectual and spiritual minor, but that wouldn't keep the male authority figures from punishing her.

Hester was, in a way, a sacrifice for the towns morality.
And being held in a dank prison through most of her pregancy, giving birth in that cell (it never says if she was allowed a midwife, it's highly doubtful though) the innocent child suffers also.

"I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children."

And to the Puritan mindset, the infant wasn't innocent and must suffer along with her mother.

Upvote 0

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Poohbear246 said:
I always found Hester's inability to forgive herself.....puzzling. Even after, as Hawthorne tells us, Pearl moves on to become a fine lady in England, Hester remains in America. Pearl, as you might remember, constantly reminds Hester of the Scarlet Letter through her very existence, and her preternaturally precocious demeanor. With Pearl grown up and tamed as it were, Hester is free to go wherever she wishes, yet chooses to remain at the site of her sin. The letter A is engraved on her tombstone.

Should she have let her past actions define the rest of her life, long after the deaths of Chillingworth, Dimmesdale, et. al.? Her status as an angel of comfort redeems her, but she doesn't allow herself be redeemed....she seems crushed under the weight of her sin despite her status as angel.
Or is it not that she cannot forgive herself, but that she can see that the past cannot be undone and is part of what we are? Would leaving be admitting the power that others have over her, to drive her away from where she would chose to be?

Upvote 0

Annabel Lee

Feb 8, 2002
Q'onoS
✟39,227.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Cat59 said:
Or is it not that she cannot forgive herself, but that she can see that the past cannot be undone and is part of what we are? Would leaving be admitting the power that others have over her, to drive her away from where she would chose to be?

I agree. I don't think it's a matter of forgiving herself but rather placing herself above the judgements of Puritan society.

Hester seperated herself from the society that deemed her sinful, and maybe that was her salvation.

"Much of the marble coldness of Hester's impression was to be attributed to the circumstance that her life had turned, in a great measure, from passion and feeling to thought. Standing alone in the world--alone, as to any dependence on society, and with little Pearl to be guided and protected--alone, and hopeless of retrieving her position, even had she not scorned to consider it desirable--she cast away the fragment a broken chain.

The world's law was no law for her mind. It was an age in which the human intellect, newly emancipated, had taken a more active and a wider range than for many centuries before. Men of the sword had overthrown nobles and kings. Men bolder than these had overthrown and rearranged--not actually, but within the sphere of theory, which was their most real abode--the whole system of ancient prejudice, wherewith was linked much of ancient principle. Hester Prynne imbibed this spirit. She assumed a freedom of speculation, then common enough on the other side of the Atlantic, but which our forefathers, had they known it, would have held to be a deadlier crime than that stigmatised by the scarlet letter. In her lonesome cottage, by the seashore, thoughts visited her such as dared to enter no other dwelling in New England; shadowy guests, that would have been as perilous as demons to their entertainer, could they have been seen so much as knocking at her door."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cat59

Just me
Aug 28, 2003
Beautiful Wales
Visit site
✟40,090.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Annabel Lee said:
I agree. I don't think it's a matter of forgiving herself but rather placing herself above the judgements of Puritan society.

Hester seperated herself from the society that deemed her sinful, and maybe that was her salvation.
And became her ability to bring salvation to others...due to the rejection and pain and suffering she had been through, she could reach out and understand and minister greatly to those around her.
As is often the case...
It was the depths of despair suffered by Corrie and Betsie ten Boom in the concentration camps, where they were degraded and humiliated by men that made them realise there was no pit so deep that the God they believed in could not be deeper still...and allowed the surviving sister to do great things out of the suffering and misery she had endured at the hands of others.

But there was a more real life for Hester Prynne, here, in New England, that in that unknown region where Pearl had found a home. Here had been her sin; here, her sorrow; and here was yet to be her penitence. She had returned, therefore, and resumed of her own free will, for not the sternest magistrate of that iron period would have imposed it--resumed the symbol of which we have related so dark a tale. Never afterwards did it quit her bosom. But, in the lapse of the toilsome, thoughtful, and self-devoted years that made up Hester's life, the scarlet letter ceased to be a stigma which attracted the world's scorn and bitterness, and became a type of something to be sorrowed over, and looked upon with awe, yet with reverence too. And, as Hester Prynne had no selfish ends, nor lived in any measure for her own profit and enjoyment, people brought all their sorrows and perplexities, and besought her counsel, as one who had herself gone through a mighty trouble. Women, more especially--in the continually recurring trials of wounded, wasted, wronged, misplaced, or erring and sinful passion--or with the dreary burden of a heart unyielded, because unvalued and unsought came to Hester's cottage, demanding why they were so wretched, and what the remedy! Hester comforted and counselled them, as best she might

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.