Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Anglican Journal published an interesting article recently, which to me constitutes pretty big news:
Canada's Anglican bishops unanimously endorsed a motion expressing "grave concern" about proposed legislation in Nigeria that "would prohibit or severely restrict the freedom of speech, association, expression and assembly of gay and lesbian persons." Their motion also called criticized the (Anglican) Church of Nigeria for its support of the legislation.​
The complete article may be found at the following URL:
http://anglicanjournal.com/extra/news.php?newsItem=2006-05-04_a.news
It's a brief article and worth reading in it's entirety, in my opinion.

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Fish and Bread said:
...The proposed laws, said the bishops, "criminalize civil and religious
same-sex marriage as well as the public and private expression of
same-sex affection, all public affiliation between gay persons and even
publicity, public support and media reporting of the same." The
proposals "would make the very act of listening to homosexual persons
impossible."

In unusually strong language, the bishops said they "disassociate"
themselves from the actions of the Church of Nigeria and called upon
Anglicans around the world to listen to and respect the human rights of
gay people.

Article from: Anglican Journal
http://anglicanjournal.com/extra/news.php?newsItem=2006-05-04_a.news

Where in the word are 'same-sex religious marriages' legal?!?!

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
TomUK said:

If two people of the same gender go to a church and find a priest or minister willing to marry them in most of the western world, I don't think the police would bust up the wedding service, it just wouldn't count legally in many of those countries. In their own eyes Jim and Joe might be married, but to the internal revenue service, censuses, hospitals, courts, and other state and civic agencies, they'd still be Jim and Joe, single people. I think in Nigeria, if Jim and Joe went to a chapel, they and and the minister presiding would all wind up behind bars, from the sound of things. Of course, that's not surprising, since the same would be true if Jim and Joe simply kissed each other and someone found out. I hope we can all agree, conservative or liberal, pro or anti homosexuality; that Nigeria's laws on this subject are oppressive and inhumane.

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
TomUK said:

If you mean "where in the world", Canada. The first legally registered same-sex marriages were performed in the United Church in Ontario, by banns since the civil authorities at that time would not issue a license for a same-sex marriage. A marriage by banns in Ontario is legally registered after it is performed when the clerical officiant submits the registration paperwork. Civil marriages can't be performed by banns since there is no congregation to which to publish the banns.

Now of course, the registrars will issue licenses as well, so whether the marriage is civil or religious it will be legally recognized. I can think of a couple of denominations, of which the ACC is not one, that will perform such marriages as a matter of official policy. And of course independent churches may also perform them, and registered independent marriage officiants may perform either civil ceremonies or religious ceremonies, for any flavour of religion. Private citizens may register to perform specific marriages which may constitute religious ceremonies depending on the religious beliefs of the participants.

That's just Canada. Netherlands, Spain and the other countries that recognize same-sex marriage may also accomodate legal recognition of religious ceremonies; I don't know.

If you mean "where in the word", that's a different question that should be asked in Congregation-Specific Ethics subforum

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
TomUK said:
So it is recognised as a 'marriage' in Canada, rather than a civil partership (as per here in the UK) or blessing of a union?
At present, yes. We've had a recent change of federal government, and they may introduce a new Federal Marriage Act that may attempt some redefinitions.

But the new act will still have to conform to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. If the new government judges that a redefinition won't stand any better than the previously struck-down law, they'll probably leave the status quo alone.

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Restricting freedom of speech for anyone is wrong.

Restricting Freedom of Religion is wrong as well. To tell a Homosexual that they cannot believe themselves to be married is wrong.

I don't believe they are married as marriage is between a man and a woman, but I won't tell them they don't have the right to believe it themselves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.