Only in America: Cops giving tickets to 6-year-olds.

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The story: As police have increased their presence in Texas schools, more and more students — including elementary-school kids — are being slapped with court dates instead of detention, a recent study discovered. According to Texas Appleseed, a nonprofit group, more than 1,000 Class C misdemeanor tickets were given out in Texas's 10 biggest school districts over a six-year-period for minor offenses such as leaving class early or using profanity in school. (Watch a dramatization of the controversy.) The organization's report, titled "Texas' School-to-Prison Pipeline," also noted that such tickets can cost families up to $500, that black and Hispanics are ticketed more often than whites, and that "where a child attends school — not the severity of the allegation — was the best indicator of whether the child would be ticketed instead of sent to the principal's office," according to the Associated Press. Texas Appleseed recommends that the state ban the practice of ticketing students younger than 14.

http://theweek.com/article/index/211140/only-in-america-cops-giving-tickets-to-6-year-olds

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lol Texas, of course.

And its not like the kids can actually pay those kinds of fines. It just places a burden on the parent. And if the parent can't pay the fines, who gets the warrant to throw them in jail? the kid or the parent?

Juvy. Expose 6yr olds to juvy, get them use to it early, great philosophy.

I do not support giving rule breakers vacation(suspension), but I also don't think they should be fined money they don't earn, have no idea the value they cost their parents, and learn nothing from.

Arrest in school should be for legitamate crimes. Do they cite people walking down the streets for profanity? Assault, battery, illegal drug posession, illegal drug selling, vandilism, real crimes. Not saying a four letter word to close to a cop.
*&^% in the hallway of my highschool there was curse word after curse word, from the time you left one room, until you got to the next.

While I don't agree with Protocol11's view, that is how the cops are being directed to act and can see the reasoning behind his thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
yes, you can get cited in public for profanity.

although I believe when the offender is a kid, the parent should be cited since they're obviously failing somewhere.

Fining parents if there children use schoolyard language would certainly raise some serious money.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What a waste! All it would do is take some of the parent's money, but it would expose such young children to court. Well, here's a question: Do you think exposing such a young child to court is necessary? It just seems like another way to make $$$ at the childrens' expense.

It's not the court that's the problem, it's where some of these kids end up if they don't get scared straight.

and it's not at the expense of the children, let's get that striaght. It's a cost the parents have to bear.

It would be better if they were writing tickets and then the kids had to do some type of community service. Even 6 year olds understand that concept.

Fining parents if there children use schoolyard language would certainly raise some serious money.

True, except I'm not sure the term "schoolyard language" is correct. We're talking obscenities. I don't consider learning cuss words to be a normal part of a kid's education.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's not the court that's the problem, it's where some of these kids end up if they don't get scared straight.

and it's not at the expense of the children, let's get that striaght. It's a cost the parents have to bear.

It would be better if they were writing tickets and then the kids had to do some type of community service. Even 6 year olds understand that concept.

True, except I'm not sure the term "schoolyard language" is correct. We're talking obscenities. I don't consider learning cuss words to be a normal part of a kid's education.

We need to scare kindergartners straight so they wont wind up in jail?

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

police_state-newsweek.jpg

Reactions: BobW188
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We need to scare kindergartners straight so they wont wind up in jail?

I said 6 year olds understand the concept of community service.

If a 6 year old is getting in trouble with the law already, there's issues there. But what I was talking about was the fact that courts aren't scary places. Or they shouldn't be. If people are making their kids afraid of courts, there's also an issue there.

Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist

If a 6 year old is getting in trouble with the law already, there's issues there. But what I was talking about was the fact that courts aren't scary places. Or they shouldn't be. If people are making their kids afraid of courts, there's also an issue there.

If 6 year olds are getting into trouble with the law over normal six year old behaviour then maybe the issue is the law.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Children aren't getting in trouble with the law in normal ways here, that's the point of why the article is so ridiculous. Whatever happened with just detention?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,630.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Ah, I see. Not sure I agree that courts should not be scary places. I know if I was to go to court for breaking the law I would find it scary.

The issue for me in this is the notion that we should be using the law to police school children. In terms of corrective action this strikes me as a "swatting a fly with a sledge hammer" type scenario.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0