Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
We've seen at least one person with that sentiment tattooed on their bodies at least once in our lifetime, yes? The question I wanted to ask about this is:

Do you think that this phrase is used to justify poor choices in life above all, by some people, these days? I often see people using it as such in a defensive manner. Or is that just me reading into it? As usual, no disrespect meant by asking this, but asking for input, for ideas to refine my perspective.

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We've seen at least one person with that sentiment tattooed on their bodies at least once in our lifetime, yes? The question I wanted to ask about this is:

Do you think that this phrase is used to justify poor choices in life above all, by some people, these days? I often see people using it as such in a defensive manner. Or is that just me reading into it? As usual, no disrespect meant by asking this, but asking for input, for ideas to refine my perspective.

An interesting question -- personally, I don't see it as a justification or excuse.

Theologically speaking, is there any difference between that sentiment and "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone"? Because they seem to be sending the same message to me.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It could be defensive, but in all reality, only God can judge a person.Human judgment can be flawed, because only God knows the heart. Maybe they are just telling themselves the truth, whether they know it or not.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Yes, it is an inherently defensive statement, meant to justify actions that others find problematic. In some ways it is true and in some ways it is not, depending on what we mean by "judge."

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If we take it to mean "only God's judgement matters" then that seems a reasonable position for a religious person to take. I suspect, however, they mean "I don't care what you think. I do what I want."

...which can also be a reasonable position.

Upvote 0

CallofChrist

Site Supporter
Apr 24, 2012
St.Paul, MN
✟89,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Having it tattooed on your body is pretty ironic because God judges tattoos as sinful. So God can definitely judge you if you have that tattooed.

Christians are not bound by ceremonial law. However, it may still be worth questioning if God wants us to alter our bodies. That being said, I do not personal have any conviction for or against tattoos. I would have to pray about it before I even considered getting one. I know that sometimes even ministers get tattoos, but that does not prove anything either way.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Which choices have you decided are poor?
Do you mean anyone else's choices?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I find that the people who choose that particular tattoo, tend to be the ones who show up to church hungover, or still drunk. They tend to get fired for stealing, and for consistent bad H&S practices. They tend to crash their cars. And they tend to pick fights.
They tend to pop out a lot of babies, that end up in CAS. Or they father a lot of babies, by a wide collection of women.
They are asking us to suspend good sense, and afford them the trust they have long since destroyed.
I will judge them. And they dont like it.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
well if you break the law and get caught, you'll soon find out that its here on earth that you will be judged.

Even if its not an issue of law, if you act poorly in your words and deeds, society will judge you and you will suffer the consequences of it. So no, If you believe in God, its obvious that a God is not the only one to judge and sentence you.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
in all reality, only God can judge a person.Human judgment can be flawed, because only God knows the heart.
Naaw; knowing the heart and perfection is not necessary in order to judge someone. Like it or not, flawed and imperfect people judge other people all the time.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If only God can judge, why do people have a title of "Judge"? And why do people serve on juries?

Society couldn't exist without people judging.

Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟40,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

You need to do a serious Bible study on the word krinw, in the Greek New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

There is an exclusive community called Gloriavale on the West Coast of New Zealand. A number of males in that community have been exposed as sexual predators, including the founder of the community (who served a prison sentence and has now passed on), When these men are caught after long periods of sexual abuse and rape of young women in the community, they are required to repent and have to spend time in a hut away from the main areas. After a period of time, they are admitted back into the community, and the young women are expected to "forgive" them. The police are never contacted. if a young woman is raped and she reports it, often she is accused of being a harlot because she didn't kick or scream when she was being raped. Some have been forced to leave the community to get away from these sexual predators, who, after "repenting" just go on sexually abusing women.

At present there are two prominent men before the Court on charges, and if found guilty face years in prison. What is concerning is how many other men sexually abusing women in that community and who have not been caught? Women in that community are brain washed into being submissive to men.

My view is that although this is a professing Christian community, I don't think it is Christian at all. A toxic community like this is never Christian and those who remain in it are deceived into following a Jesus who is not the Jesus of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Flaunge

Nov 22, 2023
Rio de Janeiro
✟461.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ultimately, that phrase is correct, since it's God who'll judge you on the really important issues such as salvation/damnation, eternal rewards, etc. But other people do have the right to judge your actions as inappropriate and act accordingly with things like ostracism, banishment from property and so on.

Paul for instance didn't judge the man who was having inappropriate relations with his father's wife in 1 COR 5 as in determining he was going to hell; he simply removed the man from the congregation.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find that the people who choose that particular tattoo, tend to be the ones who show up to church hungover, or still drunk. They tend to get fired for stealing, and for consistent bad H&S practices. They tend to crash their cars. And they tend to pick fights.
They tend to pop out a lot of babies, that end up in CAS. Or they father a lot of babies, by a wide collection of women.
They are asking us to suspend good sense, and afford them the trust they have long since destroyed.
I will judge them. And they dont like it.
lol, stereotypes are fun.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Just earlier this week, I was watching a People's Court episode where the defendant lost, and on their way out exclaimed "Only God can judge me!" It was funny, because in fact she had just been judged by Judge Marilyn Milian. IOW the answer to your question is yes, people use this as an excuse to not be accountable for their actions.

Upvote 0