✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are only 66 books God's word?

Does the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox claim there are more books in the Bible that is God's word as well or is it just there for historical quality?

How important are these other books? Is 66 books fine? are we missing anything?

Sorry I am confused, and trying to figure this out. I don't want to be missing anything important.

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As far as I know the Orthodox church considers the books in question canonical. Some of which even the Roman Catholic church does not.

Whether or not it's important to you would be based on which church you go to. From my point of view, and opinion, they are important. That said, I go to an Orthodox church.

Upvote 0

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As far as I know the Orthodox church considers the books in question canonical. Some of which even the Roman Catholic church does not.

Whether or not it's important to you would be based on which church you go to. From my point of view, and opinion, they are important. That said, I go to an Orthodox church.

Important to the extent, that without them a man has a high chance of losing his soul?

How high of a level of importance exactly?

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The opinion of the majority there are more books to the canon of scripture than exist in the Protestant canon. The canons differ in these respective Churches. Look up the canon lists if your interested.

How important these books are depends on the view of the person who holds them canonical. The Catholic Church puts them within the category of Deuterocanon, a second canon. An Orthodox view I've heard goes even further and suggests there are some books in the bible more valuable than others. The Gospels for instance are above all other books. Smaller epistles like Jude, while obviously valuable are not as important as Paul's epistles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You don't think 66 is a weird number?

What odd about 66 or 666 or 999 or 966 or whichever combo is that the birthplace of Islam - Saudi is also very fond of that number.

999 is their police hotline, 966 is their country code.

What's more, the Hexagram of Judaism could also be numerically interpreted as "666"

So yes, it seems to be persistent in Abrahamic religions - Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.

Like I said, just a simple coincidence, nothing to see here, not implying anything! move along!

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Does the Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox claim there are more books in the Bible that is God's word as well or is it just there for historical quality?

Sorry I am confused, and trying to figure this out. I don't want to be missing anything important.
Nothing outside the 66 books of the Bible show themselves to have the same qualities of inspiration, inerrancy, and infallibility. None of them carry the same degree of manuscript witness, and overall unity. The 66 books of inspired Scripture possess an amazing and unique level of unity that speaks to one common author. The books of the Bible is penned by 40 different people, on three different continents, and over thousands of years and yet has only one consistent message.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The Oriental Orthodox Church does not maintain a closed canon to begin with. Each particular member of our communion has their own history by which they received the Bible in their own language for their people, and so there are some (particularly the Ethiopians and Eritreans) who have a much broader canon than any others. This is not a problem, because their understanding is the Orthodox understanding, according to our common confession.

You could have any number of books and have either the correct or the incorrect understanding. It wouldn't matter if a group had four or four hundred books if they didn't know how to understand them.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,944.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Nothing outside the 66 books of the Bible show themselves to have the same qualities of inspiration, inerrancy, and infallibility.

I've read many of those books (non canon) scriptures. Book of Enoch, Apocryphon of John, etc.

To me, they seem just as inerrant and infallible as the canon scriptures if I treat them with the same regard as canon scriptures (without scrutiny and assuming they are infallible).

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The number of the books in the Bible is 66. The number of man in 6.

Just a curious coincidence, nothing more! Nothing to see here, move along!

Well, the number would be reduced if we didn't divide some of the OT books into smaller books.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Nothing outside the 66 books of the Bible show themselves to have the same qualities of inspiration, inerrancy, and infallibility. None of them carry the same degree of manuscript witness, and overall unity. The 66 books of inspired Scripture possess an amazing and unique level of unity that speaks to one common author. The books of the Bible is penned by 40 different people, on three different continents, and over thousands of years and yet has only one consistent message.

Perfect post.

If one reads the apocrypha, there are even historical problems found in several of the books as well.

"It was the twelfth year of Nebuchadnezzar who reigned over the Assyrians in the great city of Nineveh." - Judith 1:1

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

I can't speak for any of those groups, but when the Sadducees question Jesus concerning the resurrection in Matthew 22, He responds by telling them they are in error because they neither know the scriptures or the power of God.

What He states they should have known from the scriptures isn't found anywhere in the Old Testament, but rather it's located in 1 Enoch 15. That's an indirect endorsement of 1 Enoch by Jesus Himself.

• Informative
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it is important to note that even the Roman Catholic Church regard the other books found in their Bible to be apocrypha. Meaning that they are valuable but not equal in authority to the original cannon. Not to be confuses with the pseudepigrapha, like the Book of Enoch, which are falsely-attributed works, texts whose claimed author is not the true author, or a work whose real author attributed it to a figure of the past.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Oriental Orthodox Church does not maintain a closed canon to begin with. Each particular member of our communion has their own history by which they received the Bible in their own language for their people, and so there are some (particularly the Ethiopians and Eritreans) who have a much broader canon than any others. This is not a problem, because their understanding is the Orthodox understanding, according to our common confession.

You could have any number of books and have either the correct or the incorrect understanding. It wouldn't matter if a group had four or four hundred books if they didn't know how to understand them.

Yes, I've heard this. Is it true that some even accept the gnostic gospel accounts and pseudo-works (Thomas, Apocalypse of Peter, etc)?

Upvote 0

Justified112

Jan 15, 2019
Midwest US
✟25,034.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've read many of those books (non canon) scriptures. Book of Enoch, Apocryphon of John, etc.

To me, they seem just as inerrant and infallible as the canon scriptures if I treat them with the same regard as canon scriptures (without scrutiny and assuming they are infallible).
That is an emotional response to those books, not a scholarly response. There are good reasons why they are not Scripture. When you test them against what the Scriptures say and when you test them against the historical manuscript witness, it comes very clear why they are not infallible and inerrant, and why do not stand up to scholarly scrutiny. They have historical value, but no theological value.

For one thing, the Bible's 66 books are centered around ONE message, the redemption of mankind, and the kingdom agenda of restoring man back to God through Jesus Christ. That message is NOT contained in the texts outside the 66 books of the Christian Bible.

They are not historically accurate. One of the books of the apocrypha, for example has Nebuchadnezzar as the King of Syria, which is historically false, and that means it is not inerrant. Other examples could be given. The book of Tobit teaches salvation through works (alms).

Nothing in books like the Apocrypha contain anything that supports the biblical message of salvation by grace through faith that permeates both Old and New Testament, no types and shadows of Christ, nothing like what is in the true Bible.

The New Testament enjoys a manuscript witness of 25,000 Greek manuscripts that range from the 2nd century AD to the 5th century AD. They agree 100% at all possible points of comparison. That 25,000 includes 5,000 primary manuscripts of the NT in Greek and 20,000 Greek quotations of the NT. If we lost the 5,000 manuscripts, we could reproduce the entire NT from just the Greek quotations with the exception of about 7 verses. No other ancient manuscript enjoys the level of textual witness. There is no disagreement between Greek NT manuscripts from dating from the 2nd century and those that date from the 5th century. There is perfect agreement.

That being said, there are 150,000 variants in the text, but those do not affect the inerrancy of the text, as inerrancy only applies to the substance of the historical core of the claims of Scripture. Most variants amount to thinks like misspelled words, or minor scribal errors, or word reversals like Christ Jesus vs. Jesus Christ.

Nothing like that can be said for any ancient documents outside of the 66 books of the Bible.

Upvote 0