Once saved is it possible to lose it (or be unsaved)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tertius

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
✟15,167.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
In one word, "no." The confusion general comes from a failure of recognizing or confusing one's POSTION (in Christ) and one's PRACTICE (post-salvation experience).

The Apostle Paul clearly outlines what our position is in Christ. Our position via the cross is that we are made "dead to sin" in the eyes of God through Christ.

Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Our position via the cross is that we are made "free from sin" in the eyes of God through Christ.

Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

The Apostle Paul outlines approximately 30 different items that encompass the God-given position of someone that is saved, which includes being a bond servant, and irrevokable adoption. If your eternal destination is dependent on your sin (or lack thereof), Christ didn't need to die.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The mixing law and grace is the exact same error that the Galatians did. By mixing self-righteousness (personal sin, or lack there of) with grace, this is "frustrating" the grace of God. Our position in Christ is that we carry or are clothed in Christ's righteousness, not our own. One's practice is another story.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

One's post-salvation practice (experience) will be addressed at the bema or judgement seat of Christ.

Upvote 0

ChrisinMI

Nov 18, 2005
✟15,439.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tertius said:
In one word, "no." The confusion general comes from a failure of recognizing or confusing one's POSTION (in Christ) and one's PRACTICE (post-salvation experience).

The Apostle Paul clearly outlines what our position is in Christ. Our position via the cross is that we are made "dead to sin" in the eyes of God through Christ.

Romans 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Romans 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Our position via the cross is that we are made "free from sin" in the eyes of God through Christ.

Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

Romans 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

The Apostle Paul outlines approximately 30 different items that encompass the God-given position of someone that is saved, which includes being a bond servant, and irrevokable adoption. If your eternal destination is dependent on your sin (or lack thereof), Christ didn't need to die.

Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

The mixing law and grace is the exact same error that the Galatians did. By mixing self-righteousness (personal sin, or lack there of) with grace, this is "frustrating" the grace of God. Our position in Christ is that we carry or are clothed in Christ's righteousness, not our own. One's practice is another story.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

One's post-salvation practice (experience) will be addressed at the bema or judgement seat of Christ.

So what about sins that are unrepented? We are suppose to ask for forgiveness. What about sins of ommission...? I have such a hard time wrapping my brain around the complete grace thing. I am getting better with it but it is still hard. So glad God is in control!

Upvote 0

Tertius

Aug 8, 2005
Visit site
✟15,167.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
ChrisinMI said:
So what about sins that are unrepented? We are suppose to ask for forgiveness. What about sins of ommission...? I have such a hard time wrapping my brain around the complete grace thing. I am getting better with it but it is still hard. So glad God is in control!

Observing the law comes natural (from the flesh), but grace is learned. Yes, I too had a very hard time coming to understand what grace really and truly is. From the perspective of salvation and your position in Christ, all of your is already forgiven. That includes all of your sin past, present and future. Repentance is simply a "change of mind," and some make it out to be something more than that. Some falsely believe that we must keep "short accounts" of each of our sins, or that there is something called "parental forgiveness." But these are not true. Don't get me wrong, I believe that the saint that sins needs to spiritually acknowledge and recognize that they fell down and sinned, but the sin is already forgiven, as the cross made us "dead to sin" and "free from sin." Christ died once for sin, and doesn't need to forgive us twice. The saint should then stand right back up, as an adult full-grown son of God, and stand as who we are in Christ.

:)

Upvote 0

eph3Nine

Mid Acts, Pauline, Dispy to the max!
Nov 7, 2005
In the hills of Tennessee
✟5,251.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ChrisinMI said:
So what about sins that are unrepented?
Hey there Chris...nice to meetcha!!:wave:

We need to look at what the word "repentance" means to understand this. When you say you think there might be sins we havent "repented of", what is it you are really thinking? I had to do this myself...so dont think Im upset with you or think you are being silly or anything....this is something you really need to think about. So...what is it you are really thinking when you worry that you havent repented?

Is it about things you arent SORRY FOR? Things you havent STOPPED DOING? Things you forgot about, and God still holds you accountable because you havent "recited" them to Him? No...repentance means to change your mind, and if you have believed in His death, burial and resurrection as sufficient payment for YOUR sin debt, then you DID change your mind. THIS is the repentance God is looking for. Its NOT making sure you remember every little sin and tell God you are sorry for it!!! NO NO NO.:eek:

Our focus is NOT to be on our sins. God has put your sins OUT OF HIS SIGHT FOREVER, and will never deal with you on the basis of your sins again! Thats the good news of OUR gospel.

Does the scripture tell us that we are forgiven because of something WE do? Or is it because of something HE did?

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Does this say it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who REPENTS? Or does it say that the gospel of Christ is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES?

Lets look at this :

Romans 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? ( Does this say what if they dont REPENT?)

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: (Does this say that salvation is for all them that REPENT?)

Romans 3:26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

We are suppose to ask for forgiveness.

There are so many people who feel just like you do, do you know that? This is a church teaching and NOT something that the scriptures tell you to do. We arent forgiven because we ASK, but because He died, was buried and Rose again for our justification. ...but its a common misconception that we all at one time had. So lets look at this carefully...OK?:)

Why would you ASK for something that God has already said He DID? Is that "faith?" Do you think that asking is what moves God to forgive you? NOPE. Its the performance of His Son that forgave you. NOTHING you do!

NOWHERE are we told to ask for forgiveness....but to BELIEVE that He actually DID something with those sins He died for...He put them out of His sight , never to bring them up again. Since we walk by faith and NOT by sight, then we should THANK God for the forgiveness provided two thousand years ago. Take Him at His Word.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ephesians 1:7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

You see, God forgave ALL your sins, past , present and future two thousand years ago. They were ALL future when He died for them.:thumbsup:

What about sins of ommission...?

How many sins did Christ die for? Some , or all? If He died for all your sins, how many does that leave for you to worry about? Some, or NONE? He didnt forget ONE of your sins when He died for them. IF He left ONE out, He wouldnt have risen from the dead. His resurrection was PROOF POSITIVE that God the Father accepted His payment IN FULL.

God isnt dealing with you or anyone else on the basis of their SINS today! :clap: :clap: We have a SIN BEARER who took care of that problem 2000 years ago. REJOICE IN IT!

I have such a hard time wrapping my brain around the complete grace thing. I am getting better with it but it is still hard. So glad God is in control!

Stay in the Word. Especially in Pauls epistles...Romans thru Philemon...God is dealing with you in GRACE and as you soak your mind in His wonderful GOOD news, it will become more and more a part of you.

How long have you been saved? Its good that you are asking questions. I hope to see you more in here, and to get to know you better.

Huuugs...Eph3Nine

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2005
✟15,122.00
Faith
Christian
ChrisinMI said:
This was a topic of conversation among members of my church. I am wondering what the opinions here are.

Colossians 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

If we are complete in Christ(which means fulfilled), how can we then lose our salvation?

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;Romans 4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Our peace comes when we depend on what Christ did for our salvation and not what we did.

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

We have our atonement-we are complete in Christ.

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,Ephesians 1:14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

When we become believers we are sealed by God with the holy Spirit of promise.

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

Romans 8:23 And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

We have been sealed until the fulness of the Gentiles come in-The catching away of the church and our bodies will be redeemed. It is impossible to break a seal made by God. Look how long the fallen angels have been kept chained by God. Noah could not leave the Ark until God opened the door.

This why Paul tells us that we are complete in Christ.

CompleteinChrist:amen:

Upvote 0

JMWHALEN

Nov 18, 2005
✟2,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Repentance:
The term merely means to "change one's mind". The context determines what you are to change your mind about.
But it is not automatically "turning from sin", "admitting sinful behaviour"........or you are declaring that God is a sinner!:

Genesis 6:6
"And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart."

Genesis 6:7
"And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them."

Exodus 32:14
"And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people".

Numbers 23:19
"God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?"

Deuteronomy 32:36
"For the LORD shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants, when he seeth that their power is gone, and there is none shut up, or left."

Judges 2:18
"And when the LORD raised them up judges, then the LORD was with the judge, and delivered them out of the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge: for it repented the LORD because of their groanings by reason of them that oppressed them and vexed them".

1 Samuel 15:11
"It repenteth me that I have set up Saul to be king: for he is turned back from following me, and hath not performed my commandments. And it grieved Samuel; and he cried unto the LORD all night."

1 Samuel 15:29
"And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent."

1 Samuel 15:35
"And Samuel came no more to see Saul until the day of his death: nevertheless Samuel mourned for Saul: and the LORD repented that he had made Saul king over Israel."

2 Samuel 24:16
"And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite."

1 Chronicles 21:15
"And God sent an angel unto Jerusalem to destroy it: and as he was destroying, the LORD beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD stood by the threshingfloor of Ornan the Jebusite."

I stop here dueto post space constraints. The LORD God repented over 30 times!

The good news is not stop sinning-that is not the gospel of Christ of 1 Cor. 15:1-4, for that is truly bad news,for no one can stop sinning, or turn from all their sins, and, more importantly, justification is not dependent on this. Stop sinning is santification, not justification. People are making the condition of justification to be stop sinning-No! The simple reqirement is BELIEF on the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ-this is simple, and this is the only requirement. We must not make the requirement for justification conditioned upon something we do=that is a work. "Turning from sin", "stop sinning"=service/sanctification(sanctify=holy=consecrate:to be set aside for God's use).... are works of service.

I may sound like "a broken record", but we must "call" anyone that attempts to pervert the gospel of Christ with another gospel, which is not good news(Galatians Chapter 1), but is under a curse. That is,any attempts to add a works-based performance system as a requirement for justification, and that includes service, and that includes the erroneous notion that "repent", in the context of salvation, means "to turn from your sins", should be rebuked. This is "serious business" folks-souls are at stake. Justification is a one time event, and repentance, as it pertains to justification, and salvation from the penalty of sin(notice I did not say repentance as it pertains to salvation from the power of sin, which is SANCTIFICATION), is also a one time event.

We must notstand idly by and allow someone to make the typical "Lordship salvation" argument, which is also under a curse, by confusing SERVICE=SANCTIFICATION=OBEY, with salvation. The biblical order is SONSHIP, then SERVICE, and not vica versa. We must define this word as the Holy Bible does, and this is not just semantics. And the Holy Bible defines repent simply as "to change one's mind or heart"-it is that simple. The context of the subject matter determines about what one must "change your mind".

How do we know that repent means "change of mind"? As shown, because the LORD God repented. No believer on this board would claim that the LORD God can sin.

But repentance is never defined as "turning from your sins", "a work that requires something on our part","getting sin out of your life", "stop continually and intentionally keep doing the same thing" "changing your actions", as it pertains to justication(declaration of righteusness) of the sinner, and is never made a prerequisite, an "up front charge", a "down payment", in any of the presentation of the "gospel of Christ", the "gospel of the grace of God", as presented by the apostle Paul in Romans through Philemon, and as outlined in 1 Corinthians 15:1-5-never. Repent, as it refers to man and his acceptance by a Holy God with regards to justification, refers to man changing his mind about himself and his ability to save himself through a performance based system, i.e., "The Law". It is a "mental about face", a realization of man's own sinfulness(conviction), an abhorrence of oneself(Isaiah's "...Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips...." -6:5), an "I cannot save myself-only the LORD God can save me" mindset.

The Biblical order is SONSHIP(justification), then SERVICE(sanctification). Those who reverse this biblical order are putting the proverbial "horse before the cart", and are confusing service to our Father as sons with service to become sons. Those who make statements such as "make Jesus Lord of your life", "turn your life over to Jesus, give your life to Jesus", despite the fact that the heart of the gospel is the Lord Jesus Christ GIVING HIS LIFE FOR US, and has nothing to do with us giving him anything, make this deadly error. The LORD God needs nothing from us(Acts 17:25, Job 35:7, Haggai 2:8) and is not, and will not, condition/make "giving our life to Him"(service) the basis for His acceptance of us. Again, The LORD God has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ's voluntary acrificial offering of HIS LIFE, not ours, as proptiatory(satisfactory). All service is a priviledged responsibility given as a gift to those who have been declared adopted sons by faith in the finished and faithful work of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I ask everyone on this board to ask themselves if they have "stopped sinning", "turned from all their sins". I have not, but I thank the LORD that my salvation is not, and cannot be, dependent on what I do, but was already done 2000 years ago by the Lord Jesus Christ, by his faith, and all the LORD God asks is that I believe it! News, by defintion, is something that has already happened!

No one on this board has,or can, "truely(and this is a subjective criteria)repent(ed) of all their sins", no one on this board has, or can "surrender 100% to the Lordship of Jesus Christ(and this is a subjective criteria), no one has "put away the things or our previous life and life style", no one has, or can, "live(d) for God 100%", for all have been pronounced "guilty"(Romans 3:19 ), and "...come short of the glory of God...."(Romans 3:23), in not only what we do, but what we do not do, and how we think. Sin is not jusy "wrong doing", it is "wrong being". Nor will the LORD God accept any offering these acts of service as a basis for justification, but will only accept the death by blood OFFERING of the Lord Jesus Christ's spotless life, NOT OURS, and his resurrection, as a basis for our justification as sons.

Phrases such as "giving one's life, heart("commitment") is not the proper object of faith.. Again, salvation has nothing to do with "giving" God anything! Salvation is not my gift to God. Rather, it is the issue of receiving a gift from God. The issue in salvation is not what we give to Him, but what He gives to us-eternal life. The issue is not giving your life to Christ-it is Christ giving up His life as an atoning sacrifice for you. Salvation has nothing to do with "giving up your life", "surrendering your life".........-It was the Lord Jesus Christ who gave up His life and made full surrender when he yielded His life at Calvary. Again, when a lost person is told to "surrender his life, give his life to Jesus, commit his life to Jesus.........", this wrongly presumes that a person has something worthy to give(whether that is time, money, service......), and confuses SERVICE with SALVATION. It requires a "commitment" to serve Christ "up front" before salvation, and it presents a work-based performance system as a basis for acceptance by God.

Phrases such as "Give your heart to Jesus" may sound very romantic, but we are not saved by "falling in love with Jesus"-we are saved by believing in the Lord Jesus Christ's finished work at Calvary and His resurrection 3 days later. Giving one's heart, life(commitment) is an activity of service to the Lord, and and, as such, service and dedication is something the LORD appeals to believers to do(Romans 12:1-2, for eg.). But this is service from those who have become his own. The biblical order is sonship, then service. Service, then sonship is a work-based performance system, as typified by the Roman Catholic Church, and "perverts the gospel of Christ"(Gal. 1:7). Statements such as " ...I believe salvation is a journey; it is not a moment in time" reflect this mindset and false doctrine. Sanctification is a journey, but justification is not. Justification is a "moment in time" declaration of righteousness based on the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I usually ask anyone that believes that I must make "commitment to follow Him" as a requirement for justification:

How much "commitment"? 40%? 50%? 89%? How much "abiding"? How much "following", "surrender"? How much of your life have you given?Who here has "truely repented of their sins" in thought, word, and deed, with their entire body, soul, and spirit?

Consider the book of Galatians, which is a stern, severe, corrective, and solemn message-there is no word of commendation, praise or thanksgiving. Paul's "heart" is laid bare here as the letters are peppered with deep emotion and strong feeling. This is his "fighting epistle"-he is on a war path, with no tolerance for legalism! It is the declaration of freedom from all types of legalism. While Romans was from Paul's "head" with its lawyerly, systematic treatise on justification by faith, and faith alone, Galatians was from his heart. It is the boldest, strongest declaration and DEFENSE(as is this post) of the doctrine of justification by faith in and out of the scriptures, and, as such, is God's polemic on behalf of the most vital truth of the Christian truth against any attack. That is, not only is a sinner saved by grace through faith(not commitment), but the saved sinner lives by grace (sanctification=commitment=the Christian "walk").

But we must not confuse justification(the declaration of righteousness) with sanctification! Yes, we are saved from the penalty of sin(justification), the power of sin(sanctification), and the presense of sin(glorification), but these are not equivalent biblical doctrines, and people are perverting the gospel of Christ by putting the proverbial "horse before the cart", i. e., they are placing sanctification=commitment=give your life to Christ in the wrong biblical order-as a "prerequisite" to justification, or as the means to justification. No, No, No!! Interestingly enough, Paul had nothing but condemnation for the Galatians, and yet, for the Corinthians, the most carnal bunch of Christians, who were engaged in adultery, drunkeness, gluttony.....he had words of encouragement, and never questioned their justification, as witnessed by his continual reference to them as "in Christ". This should be an object lesson for us all, and should cause each of us to cry with joy and praise for the truly amazing grace bestowed upon each one of us wherby we are made "...accepted in the beloved...."(Ephesians 1:6) by this great God of ours(Psalms 145:3). And this should be our motivation to "...walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called...."(Ephesians 4:1), "..walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God...."(Colossians 1:10), "...walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory...."(1 Thessalonians 2:12), "..walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more...."(1 Thessalonians 4:1),."...as children of light...."(Ephesians 5:8), which is our "....reasonable seervice...."(Romans 12:1) as sons.

I apologize if I seemed repetitious in this post. However, given my background as a former "Roman", this strikes a "hot button" with me!

FYE: http://www.graceforall.net/No%20compromise_whalen.htm

Now, those that proclaim this message should be set for "...the afflictions of the gospel"(2 Tim. 1:8).

In Christ,
John M. Whalen

Upvote 0

JMWHALEN

Nov 18, 2005
✟2,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Eternal Security

By John M. Whalen

Those who deny the eternal security of the believer fail to understand the cross work of the Lord Jesus Christ, and it's finality. In fact, this is why the question arises, "Is once saved always saved" a true statement?

I realize that this topic deserves more than just a few "random" verses thrown out in support of the doctrine of eternal security, but I will just focus on a few points:

1. 2 Cor 5:17-19 : "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation."

When Christ died two thousand years ago all our sin was still in the future. He paid for all sin, for all men, for all time. God is not imputing (charging to one's account) sin to anyone today. We are not saved by getting rid of our sin but by belief of the truth of the gospel which is "Christ died FOR our sins, was buried and rose again the third day"=the gospel of Christ- 1 Cor. 15:1-4.

2. The seal and pledge of the Holy Spirit is the guarantee of our redemption in Christ by God.
In simple terms, a symbol is something that represents something else. Two of the symbols of the Holy Spirit are as a seal, and as a pledge.

As a Seal:

" Write ye also for the Jews, as it liketh you, in the king's name, and seal it with the king's ring: for the writing which is written in the king's name, and sealed with the king's ring, MAY NO MAN REVERSE (emphasis mine)." Esther 8:8
"And a stone was brought, and laid upon the mouth of the den; and the king sealed it with his own signet, and with the signet of his lords; that the purpose might NOT BE CHANGED(emphasis mine) concerning Daniel." Daniel 6:17
"So she wrote letters in Ahab's name, and sealed them with his seal, and sent the letters unto the elders and to the nobles that were in his city, dwelling with Naboth." 1 Kings 21:8

Most frequently, a seal was a signet ring with a design or imprint on it peculiar to the owner and to authenticate official documents. Thus, a signet ring is a finger ring that bears an engraved seal(Genesis 41:42) For example, when the king's ring was pressed against the hot wax that sealed a document, the sealed scroll then bore an imprint that IDENTIFIED it with the king. This would be similar in our times to our signature on a check. No document was valid without it. It was used in the following ways:

-It indicated a FINISHED transaction": In Jeremiah 32:9-11, the prophet Jeremiah purchases the field Hanameel with money as the LORD God had instructed him to do. After the price was set,, paid for, and the deed was signed, he sealed the deed. The seal was "evidence"(Jer. 32:10,11,12,14) that the purchase was official and complete-it was a FINISHED transaction(see also John 17:4 and 19:30).

This is what Paul is telling us in 2 Cor. 1:22-God the Father and God the Son settled the matter of our salvation between themselves-we partake of the FINISHED work. God, at this point, gives us the Holy Spirit, showing us that salvation is a completed, finished transaction.

-It obtains security: Notice in Esther 8:8, "...May no man reverse....", and Daniel 6:17, "...not be changed....". While the king was in power and lived, no one could change what was sealed by his own ring. Seals were the universal means of safeguarding, "securing" letters, treasures, "guaranteeing" legal evidence. This carried the authority of the king . In Daniel 6:15,17 the strict etiquette of the Persian court obliged the king never to revoke an order once given-the lion's den was sealed. In Matthew 27:66, the Lord Jesus Christ's tomb was sealed so that His body would be undisturbed-"...and made the sepulchre SURE, SEALING(emphasis mine) the stone". The context here shows that this was an official sealing that was intended to be so arranged that the seal could not be broken without detection. In the Revelation 7:2-4, one hundred and forty four thousand servants are sealed so they will be protected, secured from the impending judgment. In the Revelation 20:3, Satan is cast into the bottomless pit for 1000 years-his tenure here is made CERTAIN by the sealing of the pit. In all these cases, the seal is affixed in order to make sure, guarantee, someone or something is SECURE. Paul again uses this figure of the seal to the Holy Spirit in Ephesians 1:13, "...ye WERE(emphasis mine-past tense) sealed with that Holy Spirit of PROMISE(emphasis mine-guarantee of security)", and again in Ephesians 4:30, "...ye are sealed UNTO(emphasis mine-notice this is secure until we receive our redeemed bodies!) the day of redemption." The same principle applies to the King of Kings. God has sealed believers of today into the Body of Christ and now nothing can reverse that sealing. It is a secure seal-absolute security.

-It indicates ownership: Again in Jeremiah 32:11, 12 explains of evidence of a completed purchase being taken to Baruch. In verse 13, 14, 15 Jeremiah tells Baruch to take the evidences of the purchase and put then in an earthen vessel- Jeremiah has the right to do this because he has OWNERSHIP of the land. In Haggai 2:23, "In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will make thee as a signet: for I have CHOSE(emphasis mine) thee, saith the LORD of hosts." And hence, "For ye are bought with a price...."(1 Cor. 6:20)

It is used to identify something: In 2 Timothy 2:19 , the Holy Spirit through Paul says "the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that ARE HIS(emphasis mine)." God has ownership of a believer. The Holy Spirit has sealed the purchase. Thus, just as the king's imprint IDENTIFIED it with the king, the sealing ministry of the Holy Spirit IDENTIFIES us as the bought property, by blood, of the Lord Jesus Christ.

As a Pledge:

In 2 Cor. 5:5 we are told that God has given us "...the earnest of the Spirit.", and in Ephesians 1:14 we are told that the Holy Spirit "...is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possess...." The word "earnest" means "pledge", that is, first installment, deposit, or "down payment". This is a price laid down in advance to secure legal claim to an article. The purchaser was under legal obligation to make further payments until the purchase was complete. Thus, the LORD God is telling us that the presence of the Holy Spirit as a pledge is a symbol of telling us 1. "I claim you-you are my property"-again, 1 Cor. 6:19-20 builds on this theme, and 2. "I obligate myself-I guarantee to complete My work in every believer".

The Holy Spirit's presence guarantees our inheritance per Eph. 1:14. Our inheritance encompasses all that the Lord Jesus Christ(including His righteousness) is and all that the Lord Jesus Christ has- "And if children, then heirs, heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ...."(Romans 8:17). This is fully guaranteed by God the Father, and the "warranty" is the Holy Spirit Himself.

Per Ephesians 1:13, the sealing of the Holy Spirit takes place as a result of a person believing the gospel of salvation. Notice in this verse is that upon believing the gospel we are "sealed" into our salvation. This sealing takes place by the Holy Spirit, which is the third member of the Godhead. God promises us that upon our belief in the gospel, He will seal us into the Body of Christ. The Holy Spirit takes us and "places", or IDENTIFIES us into one body- the Body of Christ. This is called the baptism BY the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 12:13 states "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." Please notice here that we are not baptized into the Holy Spirit(as at Pentecost where the Lord Jesus Christ is the baptizer), but rather the Holy Spirit is baptizing us into the Body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13, 27). Ephesians 4:4 says, "There is one body" which is the Body of Christ, and which we are placed into, IDENTIFIED into, by the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 4:5 states that there is "one baptism", and the baptism BY the Holy Spirit is this one baptism, which is our seal of salvation. Also notice that this is not a water baptism-it is a spiritual baptism(IDENTIFICATION) since it is performed by the Holy Spirit. The word "baptized" is often assumed to always be associated with water. However, we can conclude that this is not a water baptism- it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that seals our salvation. If we are to believe that the baptism referred to in I Corinthians 12:13 is with water, then we must also believe that water baptism is necessary for salvation. However, we know that NO physical works are required for salvation by reading Ephesians 2:8, and 9, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Thus, it is the baptism by the Holy Spirit that seals our salvation. We know this because it is through our baptism into the Body of Christ that we receive IDENTIFICATION with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection. Again, remember that they Holy Spirit baptizes us upon our belief in the gospel (Eph. 1:13). Romans 6:3 says, "so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into His death?" (This is our identification with Christ’s death). Romans 6:4 says "Therefore we are buried with Him by baptism into death" (identification with Christ’s burial.). Verse 4 also says "that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father even as we also should walk in newness of life." (Our identification with Christ’s resurrection). Verse five says "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God". As a result of us being identified with Christ’s death, burial, and resurrection then, verse 22 says we are free from sin and we have "everlasting life". Verse 22 says "But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." Therefore, we can conclude that our sealing by the Holy Spirit, which is a final, secure transaction, places us into the Body of Christ. As a result of the baptism (IDENTIFICATION) by the Holy Spirit we receive everlasting life. We can count on that as being hidden in Christ and we will never be removed.

In Christ and with Christ,

John M. Whalen

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elect

It is God that Justifies
Jun 9, 2005
Wichita Falls, TX
Visit site
✟667.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Tertius said:

This is a very good post! Well done. the amazing sovereign Grace of God, what a blessing.
:thumbsup:

Phi 1:6 being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a goodwork in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ,

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.