Ohio/Indiana
✟8,128.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Question..are there still churches that require parishoners to receive on the tongue?

I went to a daily mass at a parish I had never been to before and there were only about five of us there. When I went up, I held out my hands as normal and the priest looked at me funny. He then gave a kind of nervous laugh and hesitantly handed it to me. It seemed almost as if he was going to try and put it in my mouth but since I had it closed he couldn't.

I was kind of wondering how much of a mistake I made? :doh:

Counter-Reformer

Jan 30, 2006
New Hampshire
✟826.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I recieve on the toungue at my home parish, only in Parishes that I am not accustomed to (as to what the norm), will I recieve on the hand. I also do not drink from the chalice as I am a perpetual clutz and I do not want to spill the sacred blood onto the floor.

Upvote 0

IfIonlyhadabrain

May 5, 2006
✟8,751.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
When asked by a reporter what the greatest sin of modern times was, Mother Theresa said, communion in the hand.

When asked about Communion in the hands, the late Pope John Paul II said that it is allowed by the Church, but that he personally wouldn't endorse the practice.

St. Thomas Aquinas, one of the great philosophers of the Church, spoke against 'Self-communication,' which is communion which the receiver puts into his own mouth, rather than having the priest perform this act.

Though none of these positions are to be held infallible, I'd take their stance any day of the week.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
black_rain said:
Question..are there still churches that require parishoners to receive on the tongue?

Tridentine Masses still have communion on the tongue. Many Eastern Rites do too. The Latin Rite does as a general rule; it's the US that has a dispensation.

No matter what one's feelings about the issue, in the US, this is another one of those issues where the holier than thou game can't be played. Either is legitimate and up to the recipient.

Upvote 0

Kusanagi

Cyborg Surface Marshal
Jul 4, 2005
The Northeast Corridor
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While I am sitting on the pew today for the Saturday Vigil while I did a prayer for spiritual communion. I noticed that there were some who recived it on the tounge, and some in their hands. I only notice a couple of people reciving blessings (Mainly younger children). I guess in my parish its an option to eather recive it in the hand or tounge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In our church we receive on the hand, but every so often someone will receive on the tongue.... mostly older people, I have only seen this about 4 times during this year....

Our Bishop did put out a note saying he wanted for people to receive in the hands, because we are grown up and can feed ourselves... same as he asked that people not kneel for Communion, but stand, so I guess it is different from parish to parish and Bishop to Bishop?

I am thankful to be able to receive, no matter which way we are asked to do so. :)

Les

Upvote 0

stray bullet

God Made Me A Skeptic
Nov 16, 2002
✟20,457.00
Marital Status
Private
zhilan said:
I would think any parish you could receive on the tongue even if it is not the norm. If you go up, open your mouth and stick out your tongue then I don't think the priest would ever refuse you.

Priest?

No... EOEM... and I'm not receiving on the tongue from a layman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
poppinskw said:
Why are some opposed to receive from someone other than a Priest? Is this not also a ministry that layman have been called into?

Just wondering why?

Blessings

Les

Because since the very beginning, the Sacred Body and Blood have been administered only by the priests. The sort of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion that take the Eucharist to those who cannot come to Mass, however, have been in existence since the early centuries as well. But the Eucharist being distributed by lay people at the Mass/Liturgy while a priest is present is a modern invention. I also don't buy the time/convenience excuse - parishes were bursting at the seams in years past and they did not have such a thing as lay people administering communion during the Mass.

Upvote 0

AnnieG

Watering the Flos Carmeli with her tears
Aug 6, 2005
✟15,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In most churches of the Polish Catholic Mission (in Germany) people receive on the tongue, as in the homeland, although receiving in the hand is permitted, and some do. Concerning those Polish people who attend German language services, middle-aged and elderly people often receive in the hand while teenagers and young adults (such as I) usually receive on the tongue.

Upvote 0

Kusanagi

Cyborg Surface Marshal
Jul 4, 2005
The Northeast Corridor
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Susansmum said:
I make sure I sit on the left hand side that way I am assued to recieve from the priest each time :)
Strange, the priest always offers it on the right hand side while the decon offers it on the left hand side.

Upvote 0

Dewi Sant

May 21, 2015
UK
✟63,953.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
I would consider it wrong for a layperson to handle the eucharist.

The Eucharist is the body of Christ.

Too holy to be touched by human hands.
I don't think it is widely practiced anymore but in some Roman Catholic parishes, the priest would distribute communium whilst wearing gloves and give it on a spoon. This means that the body of Christ never touches the impure hands of the Priest, let alone the congregation.

In many parishes (I think this is more common than the gloves) a napkin type piece of cloth is used to bridge the gap between the chalice and mouth of the communicant. That way, if the communicant (or priest) happens to spill the precious blood of our Christ, it will not be wasted.

I suppose it all goes down to how much respect you have for the Eucharist.

Generally, if you don't know how to do something, look at how it was done in the early church.

It is interesting to hear how the Liturgy of St James teaches that the communicant may handle the eucharist. I'll have to look up on that, it seems very strange.

Something that does annoy me is how the Protestant church gives the Eucharist as though it is mere crackers and wine. :sigh:.

I know this isn't universal in the anglican church though. There are some parishes near me who do (secretly) believe in transubstansiation and will give by mouth if the communicant so wishes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.