Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
You count "the number of churches" in 3 cities - to get the total SDA denomination world wide membership -- and then say that my numbers are "probably not accurate" ???

Please be serious.

Hint - Affluent materialistic areas like Europe Australia and North America represent the smallest concentration of Adventists per capita of any region outside of the middle east.

Still - those who "are serious" for numbers in your area - note these "actual facts" in 2015, vs simply making stuff up based on a few churches in 3 cities.

South Pacific
The South Pacific Division (SPD) is comprised of Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and numerous islands throughout the South Pacific Ocean. The Adventist Church counts about 423,000 members worshiping in nearly 2,000 churches.

Note that it is topical to this thread to consider the respective size of denominations or communions on a regional basis.

Let us therefore consider the 2012 denominational size figures for the US:

Denomination name Members
(thousands)

The Roman Catholic Church 68,202 (oh shock)
Southern Baptist Convention 16,136
United Methodist Church, The 7,679

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The 6,157 - Interloper, not Christian by CF.com standards
Church of God in Christ, The 5,499
National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc 5,197
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America 4,274
National Baptist Convention of America, Inc 3,500
Assemblies of God 3,030
Presbyterian Church (USA) 2,675
African Methodist Episcopal Church 2,500
National Missionary Baptist Convention of America 2,500
Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS), 2,278
Episcopal Church 1,951

Pentecostal Assemblies of the World, Inc Churches of Christ 1,800
Churches of Christ 1,639 Also Mormon
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America 1,500
African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church 1,400
American Baptist Churches in the USA 1,308
Jehovah's Witnesses Baptist Bible Fellowship International 1,184 LOL
Church of God 1,074
Christian Churches and Churches of Christ 1,071
Seventh-day Adventist Church 1,060
United Church of Christ 1,058
TheProgressive National Baptist Convention, Inc 1,010

I do find these figures interesting. I have to confess seeing the withered state of the Episcopal Church is depressing.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The language is in reference to something the Orthodox do in countries where they own the government - the refer to all other Christian groups as "sects". I simply assumed this is how they expect to be referenced by anyone not of their same denomination.

Strictly speaking Paul mentioned that this is how the Jews viewed the Christians - as a sect of Judaism.

In the case of JWs or Mormons the word "cult" would not be inaccurate.

I myself favor a ban on proselytization by non-Orthodox churches in "the old country" as we call it in order to prevent the growth of these, as well as other cults like Hare Krishna, Scientology, etc.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This is offtopic and also relatively lacking in an appropriate level of respect for people of different faith traditions.
Or it is a question you don't want to answer. There is a saying that you should never ask a question you don't know the answer to. I know the answer to my question and your non answer has confirmed my answer.

If you find that offensive, that is your problem not mine as the fact is people don't give offence. People take it.

I could say your refusal to answer is lacking in an appropriate level of respect for me but as I am not a person who takes offence, I don't need to say that.

And you saying my question is off topic and also relatively lacking in an appropriate level of respect for people of different faith traditions suggests to me that you have a hierarchy of traditions, some of whom can be questioned but some of whom cannot because they are superior.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Or it is a question you don't want to answer. There is a saying that you should never ask a question you don't know the answer to. I know the answer to my question and your non answer has confirmed my answer.

If you find that offensive, that is your problem not mine as the fact is people don't give offence. People take it.

I could say your refusal to answer is lacking in an appropriate level of respect for me but as I am not a person who takes offence, I don't need to say that.

And you saying my question is off topic and also relatively lacking in an appropriate level of respect for people of different faith traditions suggests to me that you have a hierarchy of traditions, some of whom can be questioned but some of whom cannot because they are superior.

Please do not derail the thread.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Alas it is not my custom to dine with the Archbishop of Canterbury. Justin Welby's vestments make my eyes hurt (particularly the mitre with dolohins on it).

Say what you will about Rowan Williams, but at least the man knew how to put it down.
While i love being Anglican, I think many of our bishops, especially the primates, need to have somebody vest them. I have seen some horrible Anglican vestments.

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
While i love being Anglican, I think many of our bishops, especially the primates, need to have somebody vest them. I have seen some horrible Anglican vestments.

Anglican liturgy including vestments are exquisite when done well.

• Agree
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Anglican liturgy including vestments are exquisite when done well.
As are the Catholic, Orthodox and Lutheran; I have not seen poor examples in the orthodox, but i have seen some real dandies though.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
As are the Catholic, Orthodox and Lutheran; I have not seen poor examples in the orthodox, but i have seen some real dandies though.

I saw one really awful Orthodox vestment; the priest wore a phelonion (a chasuble) with Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,591.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I saw one really awful Orthodox vestment; the priest wore a phelonion (a chasuble) with Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer.

Since this thread is about size and oneupsmanship; I got you beat!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums