Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How should Christians deal with alcohol? Is getting drunk ok? Just communion wine? What does the Bible say? What is your own position?
There are no drunkards in the kingdom of Heaven. The way I now see it, why put the calories in your body? Since getting drunk is seriously against God’s teachings, why drink alcohol?

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How should Christians deal with alcohol? Is getting drunk ok? Just communion wine? What does the Bible say? What is your own position?

My position is the Scriptural position: drinking in moderation is okay but drunkenness is a sin which is even said to exclude one from the Kingdom. Many passages can be drawn out to support this but I will bring four which will symbolize the rest...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Neither sexually immoral people, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor passive homosexual partners, nor dominant homosexual partners, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, not drunkards, not abusive persons, not swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and any who go astray by it are not wise."

But despite this it is considered a gift from God:

Psalm 103:13-15 (104 in Hebrew numbering) "Thou [God] waterest the hills from thy upper rooms: the earth shall be filled with the fruit of thy works: Bringing forth grass for cattle, and herb for the service of men. That thou mayst bring bread out of the earth: And that wine may cheer the heart of man. That he may make the face cheerful with oil: and that bread may strengthen man's heart."

Joel 2:23-24 "O children of Sion, rejoice, and be joyful in the Lord your God: because he hath given you a teacher of justice, and he will make the early and the latter rain to come down to you as in the beginning. And the floors shall be filled with wheat, and the presses shall overflow with wine and oil." [It is an abundant blessing of God]

Jesus famously also made water into wine, drank wine at the Last Supper, and so we know it's consumption surely is not a sin even beyond these verses. Wine was used to worship God as well in the OT which He commanded. So: moderation good, don't get drunk, it is a gift of God. That is the Christian position (although if you do not want to no one has to drink at all, abstinence is also good).

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Drinking in moderation is fine. People who have a problem with it should avoid it. There are plenty of good reasons to voluntarily abstain from alcohol, but prohibition should not be imposed on people. Not only do we have history to tell us the problems with that like the rise of organized crime, and rebellion of the populace etc. but on the positive side, wine and its affects are positively used in the Bible to describe things like "being empowered by the Holy Spirit" like the boldness etc. that comes from that and those analogies go out the window when everybody abstains and uses grape juice for Communion.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I'm going to answer this from a Christian worldview.

Your first question, I think, has largely to do with the cultural views towards alcohol. For instance, in America, it is usually viewed as unchristlike for a Christian to drink alcohol at all. However, in Europe, that may not be the case. It may be perfectly fine for one to have a glass of wine or beer, and do nothing to hurt their witness. That is the key difference. Romans 13:13-23 is a great passage that addresses doing something that may cause a brother to stumble and that is what we, as Christians, want to avoid.

Your second question is answered simply with the verse, Ephesians 5:18 which expressly forbids getting drunk.

Your third question is a matter of preference and wanting to stick to tradition. I hate wine...especially communion wine, but will I take communion if they are doing it with wine, sure.

My own position, as an American, is that a Christian should not drink because it could hurt their witness. I also believe that anybody who is in ministry should not drink at all but that's just a personal belief as I believe that a minister of the Gospel also, by extension, takes on the Nazarite vow which forbade drinking for those under it and we also need to keep ourselves above reproach, meaning to not give anyone reason to speak against you, as it says in Titus 1:6-7 and 1 Timothy 3:2-3. Like I stated earlier though, if the overall culture is one where alcohol is not viewed in a negative light for a Christian to drink, then it is fine Biblically. However, if it is viewed in a negative light, it is not ok biblically.

• Prayers
Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
There are no drunkards in the kingdom of Heaven. The way I now see it, why put the calories in your body? Since getting drunk is seriously against God’s teachings, why drink alcohol?
There are no gluttons either. Why even eat? Why even put the calories from a snack into your body?

• Agree
Reactions: Abaxvahl
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Your first question, I think, has largely to do with the cultural views towards alcohol. For instance, in America, it is usually viewed as unchristlike for a Christian to drink alcohol at all. However, in Europe, that may not be the case. It may be perfectly fine for one to have a glass of wine or beer, and do nothing to hurt their witness. That is the key difference. Romans 13:13-23 is a great passage that addresses doing something that may cause a brother to stumble and that is what we, as Christians, want to avoid.

Your second question is answered simply with the verse, Ephesians 5:18 which expressly forbids getting drunk.

Your third question is a matter of preference and wanting to stick to tradition. I hate wine...especially communion wine, but will I take communion if they are doing it with wine, sure.

My own position, as an American, is that a Christian should not drink because it could hurt their witness. I also believe that anybody who is in ministry should not drink at all but that's just a personal belief as I believe that a minister of the Gospel also, by extension, takes on the Nazarite vow which forbade drinking for those under it and we also need to keep ourselves above reproach, meaning to not give anyone reason to speak against you, as it says in Titus 1:6-7 and 1 Timothy 3:2-3. Like I stated earlier though, if the overall culture is one where alcohol is not viewed in a negative light for a Christian to drink, then it is fine Biblically. However, if it is viewed in a negative light, it is not ok biblically.
I rarely drink alcohol, but can remember Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding in Cana.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am satisfied with Jesus and loving people. So, alcoholic drinks do not offer me much for satisfaction.

I suspect there are people who drink and seek other pleasures, in order to feel something different than their misery. They need Jesus instead, who can give us "rest for your souls." (Matthew 11:28-30)

"'Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.'" (Matthew 11:28-30)

And there seem to be people who are aggressive and controlling and seeking excitement . . . trying to have some sort of satisfaction which never can come with that > enough can never be enough; and their drinking never satisfies them, plus it has them doing what is dangerous and not learning how to relate in love. But Jesus gives us rest with sensitive and caring sharing as family with Him and one another.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I rarely drink alcohol, but can remember Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding in Cana.

Exactly, it was socially acceptable, and expected, to drink in that culture. In other areas, it is still acceptable to do so. In other areas and culture it does nothing but hurt one's witness which, in the aforementioned scripture in Romans, ought not be done. It all depends on ones disposition to alcohol, if they can stop before getting drunk, the culture they are in, among other factors that should be considered.

For instance, I cannot drink without getting drunk. Therefore, I don't drink. Do I tell others that they should not drink because I cannot? No. I give them advice and advise them of what the Bible actually says towards it but always state that it only forbids getting drunk, not enjoying a beer or glass of wine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Exactly, it was socially acceptable, and expected, to drink in that culture. In other areas, it is still acceptable to do so. In other areas and culture it does nothing but hurt one's witness which, in the aforementioned scripture in Romans, ought not be done. It all depends on ones disposition to alcohol, if they can stop before getting drunk, the culture they are in, among other factors that should be considered.

For instance, I cannot drink without getting drunk. Therefore, I don't drink. Do I tell others that they should not drink because I cannot? No. I give them advice and advise them of what the Bible actually says towards it but always state that it only forbids getting drunk, not enjoying a beer or glass of wine.
You should not drink alcohol. Some may not eat meat, they may need B-12 supplements. Others are allergic to milk. Heart patients may need to reduce fat and cholesterol intake.

I know if I drink more than a glass or two of beer or wine, I might get in an accident, or increase the risk of cancer.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Your first question, I think, has largely to do with the cultural views towards alcohol. For instance, in America, it is usually viewed as unchristlike for a Christian to drink alcohol at all.
No, it isn't. Most Christians and Christian churches advocate moderation, and that's for a number of good reasons. Christ created wine expressly for the use of wedding guests and most Christian churches use wine in their worship services. The idea of needing to abstain altogether is mistaken, therefore.

• Agree
Reactions: Abaxvahl
Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, it isn't. Most Christians and Christian churches advocate moderation, and that's for a number of good reasons. Christ created wine expressly for the use of wedding guests and most Christian churches use wine in their worship services. The idea of needing to abstain altogether is mistaken, therefore.

I guess I just heard, "What are you doing drinking? I thought you were a Christian." one too many times from non-believers...and I wasn't even drunk.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My position is the Scriptural position: drinking in moderation is okay but drunkenness is a sin which is even said to exclude one from the Kingdom. Many passages can be drawn out to support this but I will bring four which will symbolize the rest...

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Neither sexually immoral people, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor passive homosexual partners, nor dominant homosexual partners, nor thieves, nor greedy persons, not drunkards, not abusive persons, not swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Proverbs 20:1 "Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and any who go astray by it are not wise."

But despite this it is considered a gift from God:

Psalm 103:13-15 (104 in Hebrew numbering) "Thou [God] waterest the hills from thy upper rooms: the earth shall be filled with the fruit of thy works: Bringing forth grass for cattle, and herb for the service of men. That thou mayst bring bread out of the earth: And that wine may cheer the heart of man. That he may make the face cheerful with oil: and that bread may strengthen man's heart."

Joel 2:23-24 "O children of Sion, rejoice, and be joyful in the Lord your God: because he hath given you a teacher of justice, and he will make the early and the latter rain to come down to you as in the beginning. And the floors shall be filled with wheat, and the presses shall overflow with wine and oil." [It is an abundant blessing of God]

Jesus famously also made water into wine, drank wine at the Last Supper, and so we know it's consumption surely is not a sin even beyond these verses. Wine was used to worship God as well in the OT which He commanded. So: moderation good, don't get drunk, it is a gift of God. That is the Christian position (although if you do not want to no one has to drink at all, abstinence is also good).
It is possible to drink alcohol in a manner that doesn't result in drunkenness.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,584.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
You should not drink alcohol. Some may not eat meat, they may need B-12 supplements. Others are allergic to milk. Heart patients may need to reduce fat and cholesterol intake.

I know if I drink more than a glass or two of beer or wine, I might get in an accident, or increase the risk of cancer.
The food you're probably eating does too, and you do it several times daily.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I guess I just heard, "What are you doing drinking? I thought you were a Christian." one too many times from non-believers...and I wasn't even drunk.
:) Yeh, I hear you! And it's more likely in the USA than in Europe, I agree, but I certainly do not think it's the majority view among Christians here.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Both OT and NT are against getting drunk. I was a drunk for 4 years, ending up psychologically dependent and with serious health issues. Alcohol is a factor in a great deal of violence, especially within the family. I went from binging, to moderate, to hardly ever, to never. I don't miss it one bit.

People drink to excess for a reason, usually to cover up the meaningless of their existence. Once I became a Christian, I did not need alcohol any more.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no gluttons either. Why even eat? Why even put the calories from a snack into your body?
Your logic escapes me. You have to eat, you don’t have to drink alcohol. Eating doesn’t make you act a fool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0