Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think you need to add: Do they want to believe in a God or do they not want to believe in a God.
All the atheists and agnostics I have talked with really do not want there to be a Christian God, but will not admit that to being their reason to not believe in God.
Hi, I don't think we've met yet.

I used to believe and wanted a god to exist.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's apparently troubling that we exist at all...

... from what I've seen on the Ex-Christian.net forums, the feelings seem to be mutual among some on both sides. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
... from what I've seen on the Ex-Christian.net forums, the feelings seem to be mutual among some on both sides. :dontcare:

Wow, I didn't know those forums existed...what exactly do they mean by "Christian"?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow, I didn't know those forums existed...what exactly do they mean by "Christian"?

In the case of "ex"-christian, it means exactly that ... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do you think Voldemort is like if he did exist?

Seriously.

I was a Christian. I used to believe and wanted that god to exist.
Why would you "want" the Christian God to exist?
What changes in you life would you make if the Christian God did exist?
Would you Love such a God?

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would you "want" the Christian God to exist?
What changes in you life would you make if the Christian God did exist?
Would you Love such a God?
The Christian God could get you into Heaven. Who wouldn’t want that?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep, Christian God. I thought he was like everything you currently do.
The Greeks made up gods like they were "everything you currently do", so is that what you feel the Christian God is described as being?
If you did know the Christian God existed what changes would you make in your life?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Christian God could get you into Heaven. Who wouldn’t want that?

...but at the same time, the Christian God won't smile upon our having huge, self-centered Bank Accounts, or a bevy of women (or men, I guess these days) for our sexual pleasures, or perpetual celebrity stardom or vast social empowerment, either!

And who really wants to worship a god that won't let us have any of those kinds of (material) things, even with a promise of 'heaven' in the mix? :sorry:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...but at the same time, the Christian God won't smile upon our having huge, self-centered Bank Accounts, or a bevy of women (or men, I guess these days) for our sexual pleasures, or perpetual celebrity stardom or vast social empowerment, either!

And who really wants to worship a god that won't let us have any of those kinds of (material) things, even with a promise of 'heaven' in the mix? :sorry:
Those who feel they would be hell bound.
But isn’t God forgiving? It seems very easy to bypass this Hell-anxiety if you just take on the belief that God sees you as a good person despite your inevitable moral failures. There are plenty of permissive conceptions of God that would be more appealing than atheism if you’re looking for spiritual meaning and an afterlife. Atheism is rife with existential horrors. Let’s not be too quick to assume people are running to atheism as a refuge from Hell.

• Informative
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But isn’t God forgiving? It seems very easy to bypass this Hell-anxiety if you just take on the belief that God sees you as a good person despite your inevitable moral failures. There are plenty of permissive conceptions of God that would be more appealing than atheism if you’re looking for spiritual meaning and an afterlife. Atheism is rife with existential horrors. Let’s not be too quick to assume people are running to atheism as a refuge from Hell.

Who said anything about Hell as a prompt? I didn't. I'm not sure how this response of your's follows to what I've just previously stated, gaara. :dontcare:...or are you comparing my response with bling's?

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who said anything about Hell as a prompt? I didn't. I'm not sure how this response of your's follows to what I've just previously stated, gaara. :dontcare:...or are you comparing my response with bling's?
Yes, the Hell element was for Bling, but the permissive god-concept works for both of your replies.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, the Hell element was for Bling, but the permissive god-concept works for both of your replies.

Permissive god? You mean, something like Dionysus or Prometheus? ^_^ ... well ya! Who wouldn't enjoy a Bacchanalia or two, or three? Or better yet: the high-life like that which Solomon had! M'boy!

Upvote 0