On the dangers of arguing via quote (YEC-style)

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We've all encountered these types of people. You bring up an issue or ask them a question, and you get a wall of text filled with quotes, often from obscure sources, purporting to support their position. They expect you to back down and admit defeat, I suppose - my goodness, QUOTES! Now, there is nothing wrong with using a quote to support a stated, reasoned argument or opinion - this is not what I am referring to. Not at all - I am referring to wall-o-quote trolling like this, employed by people that cannot make relevant or substantive arguments on their own, but nonetheless feel compelled to argue for a position because, well I guess they really really want their position to 'win.'
Creationists are famous for doing this. Professional creationists have even put out books that are little more than quotes that they claim prove evolution wrong.
History shows that creationists arguing with quotes generally have never read the source material. History shows that creationists arguing with quotes generally do not understand the subject matter and only use quotes as a sort of appeal to authority.

That is annoying enough. It is worse when a creationist uses quotes that he apparently hand-copied from a creationist source, and uses these typo-riddled, mangled quotes as an argument.

Over here, our current quote-bomb-spammer presented this quote in response to an abstract I had presented that mentioned human-chimp % similarities:

“It is clear that the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees are far more excessive than previously thought, their genomes are not 98-99% identical”
-Todd Press Human Brain evaluation PNAS 109 20121 10709-16

That is verbatim. Googling the quote returned several hits - all only to places where the quote-bomber had spammed before. So I searched for the citation:

Nothing. Well, except for the quote-bomber's footprint. Long story short, I finally found the source:

Human brain evolution: From gene discovery to phenotype discovery
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Jun 26; 109(Suppl 1): 10709–10716.
Todd M. Preuss​

So you can see why it was so hard to find - misspelled name... erroneous title.... garbled citation...

And even the quote was not correct- a comma where a semi-colon belonged:

"It is now clear that the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees are far more extensive than previously thought; their genomes are not 98% or 99% identical."​

Now, that statement is unwarranted hyperbole in my opinion, especially when we consider what the author explains later in the paper:

Humans possess species-specific genes, as a result of the numerous tandem duplications of chromosome segments that occurred in human evolution, and also recombination events (46, 47). One consequence of the numerous duplications, insertions, and deletions, is that the total DNA sequence similarity between humans and chimpanzees is not 98% to 99%, but instead closer to 95% to 96% (41, 48, 49), although the rearrangements are so extensive as to render one-dimensional comparisons overly simplistic.​

Wow - 2-4% = extensive! Who knew?

Hmmm.... It is almost as if the creationist source of Tokien's copying hadn't read the paper (they usually don't). It is obvious that Tolkien didn't read it - or any of the quotes he copies from other creationists.
I had only checked 2 other quotes that this fellow has presented, 1 turned out to be a creationist lie and the other was a misrepresentation like this one.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE

1. Do NOT trust that quotes creationists provide are accurate in any fashion, especially those with ellipses in them.
2. Do NOT trust creationists that rely extensively on quotes to make their case to be honest in their intentions.
3. DO check quotes for accuracy and context.
4. DO call out creationists that employ out of context, irrelevant, or altered quotes as arguments.

Last edited:

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
On the dangers of arguing ad-hoc evolutionary style......

One tends to make up things to suit their ends, while ignoring actual definitions......

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TAKE HOME MESSAGE

1. Do NOT trust that quotes creationists provide are accurate in any fashion, especially those with ellipses in them.
2. Do NOT trust creationists that rely extensively on quotes to make their case to be honest in their intentions.
4. DO call out creationists that employ out of context, irrelevant, or altered quotes as arguments.

Not just "Creationists" but you should check citations from your grandma as well. Even your mom. You should have learned this just after you moved out from home.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Not just "Creationists" but you should check citations from your grandma as well. Even your mom. You should have learned this just after you moved out from home.
True, but - perhaps - especially creationists.

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

One tends to make up things to suit their ends, while ignoring actual definitions......
Like how for several years you wrote "allies" instead of alleles?

Or like how even now you don't know what a continuous trait is, despite fashioning an 'argument' about interbreeding affecting them?

No problems with creationists using bogus quotes and not reading or understanding their sources?

Oh, never mind...

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

No, just creationists. Unless you can show your grandma mangling citations, ignoring context, etc.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why, yeshua . You mean you actually believe creationist disinformation? I’m shocked , shocked I tell you!

(Disinformation- when information you’re given is deliberately misleading )

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
True, but - perhaps - especially creationists.
Show me a definition I am ignoring.... But let's talk about species definition, or would you rather ignore that one????

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What's the real true purpose , if any, of this thread ?
None....... Just to make more ad-hominem attacks because they lack any scientific evidence without ignoring their definitions.....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,243.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Show me a definition I am ignoring....
I've not accused you of ignoring a defintion. What makes you think I have? My post simply expresses my view that any quotations/citations from Creationists should be scrutinised very carefully, since experience suggests these may well have been misunderstood, quoted out of context, misinterpreted, or even manipulated.

.... But let's talk about species definition, or would you rather ignore that one????
If you want to. What's your definition of a species?

• Winner
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We've all encountered these types of people. You bring up an issue or ask them a question, and you get a wall of text filled with quotes, often from obscure sources, purporting to support their position. They expect you to back down and admit defeat, I suppose - my goodness, QUOTES! Now, there is nothing wrong with using a quote to support a stated, reasoned argument or opinion - this is not what I am referring to. Not at all - I am referring to wall-o-quote trolling like this, employed by people that cannot make relevant or substantive arguments on their own, but nonetheless feel compelled to argue for a position because, well I guess they really really want their position to 'win.'
Creationists are famous for doing this. Professional creationists have even put out books that are little more than quotes that they claim prove evolution wrong.
History shows that creationists arguing with quotes generally have never read the source material. History shows that creationists arguing with quotes generally do not understand the subject matter and only use quotes as a sort of appeal to authority.

That is annoying enough. It is worse when a creationist uses quotes that he apparently hand-copied from a creationist source, and uses these typo-riddled, mangled quotes as an argument.

Over here, our current quote-bomb-spammer presented this quote in response to an abstract I had presented that mentioned human-chimp % similarities:

“It is clear that the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees are far more excessive than previously thought, their genomes are not 98-99% identical”

That is verbatim. Googling the quote returned several hits - all only to places where the quote-bomber had spammed before. So I searched for the citation:

Nothing. Well, except for the quote-bomber's footprint. Long story short, I finally found the source:

Human brain evolution: From gene discovery to phenotype discovery
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Jun 26; 109(Suppl 1): 10709–10716.
Todd M. Preuss​

So you can see why it was so hard to find - misspelled name... erroneous title.... garbled citation...

And even the quote was not correct- a comma where a semi-colon belonged:

"It is now clear that the genetic differences between humans and chimpanzees are far more extensive than previously thought; their genomes are not 98% or 99% identical."​

Now, that statement is unwarranted hyperbole in my opinion, especially when we consider what the author explains later in the paper:

Humans possess species-specific genes, as a result of the numerous tandem duplications of chromosome segments that occurred in human evolution, and also recombination events (46, 47). One consequence of the numerous duplications, insertions, and deletions, is that the total DNA sequence similarity between humans and chimpanzees is not 98% to 99%, but instead closer to 95% to 96% (41, 48, 49), although the rearrangements are so extensive as to render one-dimensional comparisons overly simplistic.​

Wow - 2-4% = extensive! Who knew?

Hmmm.... It is almost as if the creationist source of Tokien's copying hadn't read the paper (they usually don't). It is obvious that Tolkien didn't read it - or any of the quotes he copies from other creationists.
I had only checked 2 other quotes that this fellow has presented, 1 turned out to be a creationist lie and the other was a misrepresentation like this one.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE

I noticed the same thing with his geology related quotes. They not only missrepresented the conclusions of the researchers, but they also had errors in what was quote mined.

Upvote 0

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Typical example of evolutionistic dishonesty.

Evolutionist: The evolution of microbes to man is a proven fact.
Creationist: Evolution has never been proven.
Evolutionist: Yes it has. Evolution simply means change over time. Are you denying that changes happen over time?
Creationist: Well, anyone can see that changes happen, and this takes time. I renovated my house - changed it over time. No one would deny that.
Evolutionist: There you have it. Evolution of microbes to man is a proven fact.
Creationist: !? What have changes over time got to do with microbes or men?

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Creationist: Evolution has never been proven.
Evolutionist: Yes it has. Evolution simply means change over time. Are you denying that changes happen over time?
Creationist: Well, anyone can see that changes happen, and this takes time. I renovated my house - changed it over time. No one would deny that.
Evolutionist: There you have it. Evolution of microbes to man is a proven fact.
You have totally misrepresented what evolution claims - your post is a giant strawman.

Your implication that the support for the theory of evolution is based solely on observed change over time is a huge falsehood of which you should be rightly ashamed (you know, the "thou shalt not bear false witness" thing).

But I am sure you are perfectly fine with doing great violence to the truth in service of a rigid fundamentalist take on the first few chapters of Genesis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doctor.Sphinx

Dec 10, 2017
De Nile
✟20,762.00
Country
Egypt
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You have totally misrepresented what evolution claims - your post is a giant strawman.
If only this were true.

Your implication that the support for the theory of evolution is based solely on observed change over time is a huge falsehood of which you should be rightly ashamed (you know, the "thou shalt not bear false witness" thing).
Alas, it is not.

But I am sure you are perfectly fine with doing great violence to the truth in service of a rigid fundamentalist take on the first few chapters of Genesis.
If only all evolutionists were as honest as you claim in your post above, I would not have to have posted what I did, and there would likely be far fewer evolutionists.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alas, it is not.
Your egregious and entirely unacceptable misrepresentation cannot be allowed to remain unchallenged!

Your fictitious dialogue in post 14 entirely misrepresents what any evolution expert would claim. It is simply beggars credulity to imagine that evolutionists base the theory solely on observing change over time!

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks to the efforts of tas8831, as well as others, the creationists are finally getting their well overdue "time's up" dressing down.

There might be some creationists who argue their point with recourse to lying and all other manner of entirely disreputable debating tactics; however, we see in recent threads the extent of the dishonesty in the creationist camp.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There’s not a single chat room that I’ve been in that doesn’t have the same problem- creationist newspeak, deliberate disinformation and outright lies. I’m starting to see why some atheists tend to have such contempt for believers. I can’t honestly blame the atheists if this is their introduction to faith . I’m a believer and it disgusts me.

Upvote 0