Miami
✟9,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My oldest is about to head off to college. I'm looking for some guidance from other parents who have dealt with your oldest child leaving and going off to college. First, what are some tips/tricks you guys have for move in day? Also, I'm worried that my son won't want to communicate with me anymore once he gets to college? Has anybody dealt with their college student ignoring your calls or texts, and if so, what is some advice you have for dealing with the situation or lessons you learned from the situation? Thanks for the help guys!

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My oldest has just graduated from college, and my second-oldest has just completed her freshman year. I don't really have any move-in day tips at the moment, though the Internet can give you good lists of the kinds of things a student needs in a dorm room.

On communication: Typically, students will miss their home and family; but they will also be very busy, and will be making new friends. So, write or email or text, as is your preference, but relax and let your son reply at his own pace. Maybe it'll take a day, or a week, for your son to get around to replying to your text or email. After all, he really should be switching off his phone and turning his attention to his classes, his homework, and his college friends; those things are what college is for.

Of course you'll want to hear what new things he's experiencing, and he'll probably want to hear a comforting voice from home. You might set up a time once a week or so where you can call or video-chat and catch up with each other's news.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My oldest is about to head off to college. I'm looking for some guidance from other parents who have dealt with your oldest child leaving and going off to college. First, what are some tips/tricks you guys have for move in day? Also, I'm worried that my son won't want to communicate with me anymore once he gets to college? Has anybody dealt with their college student ignoring your calls or texts, and if so, what is some advice you have for dealing with the situation or lessons you learned from the situation? Thanks for the help guys!

If you have done your job as a parent they will be well adjusted people and love you and will communicate with you. If they get distracted by the things of the world and forget to communicate with you, reach out to them in a loving kind NOT pushy way, pray they find their way in life.

Upvote 0