Ok. Question: in the Bible Jesus speaks in parables; what general statement does Evolution make?

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why? It's a misnomer. Evolution isn't "atheist" and it never has been. (It is secular. Like all sciences it takes no position on the existence of god(s) though it does not use one as an explanation.)

Arggh! Why did I respond the first reply to this message when the explanation I just typed was clearly written in this post and then deliberately omitted. No more.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you say: "atheistic plumbing" or "atheistic supply chain management"?
No.

Neither do I say "atheistic evolution."

Unless it is on a graph that is presented to me, and I want to ask about it.

Even if the presenter overlooked it, the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak, when people get on MY case about mentioning it.

I'm glad it was overlooked, as I didn't know anyone would arc and spark about it, until someone accidentally posted it, and I questioned it.

And I have a feeling that, had I not said anything, atheists wouldn't have even batted an eye at it.

But when I used it to make a point, they were all over ME about it.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,641.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No.

Neither do I say "atheistic evolution."

Unless it is on a graph that is presented to me, and I want to ask about it.

Even if the presenter overlooked it, the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak, when people get on MY case about mentioning it.

I'm glad it was overlooked, as I didn't know anyone would arc and spark about it, until someone accidentally posted it, and I questioned it.

And I have a feeling that, had I not said anything, atheists wouldn't have even batted an eye at it.

But when I used it to make a point, they were all over ME about it.

I don't remember where you got it (probably some dishonest creationist/apologist), but frankly it doesn't matter. You're the one that keeps bringing it up.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't remember where you got it (probably some dishonest creationist/apologist),
Or an honest agnostic.

Here's where it all started: The Origins of Young Earth Creationism

Hans Blaster said:
... but frankly ...
Correct.

Frank.
Hans Blaster said:
You're the one that keeps bringing it up.
It's a real eye-opener to me.

I'm ... frankly ... surprised at how much a single word can be grammatically correct, but scientifically off-limits.

Upvote 0

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

So basically there is a difference between text and subtext. When Jesus went around preaching, He would speak in parables - sharing text with people, but keeping the subtext to Himself and His disciples. The point was, if you were dull of heart and hard of hearing, there was no point in striking up a conversation with you - you would just continue to be the fool.

So where does Evolution stand, on that? Is there something that you believe as an Evolutionist, that you would not share with just anyone? What alternatives do you offer, to keep people interested in what the greater context might mean (just as Jesus offered parables)?

This is an important step, since it draws a line in the sand, as to whom is a fool to you and whom is not? When I offer thought bubbles to people online, I do not for example, attempt to expound what Evolution is in scripture - no! - instead I offer something up that is debatable and further care to see how it is I am corrected, if at all, so as to understand Evolution better? The point being that if Evolution collapsed tomorrow, my wits would still be about me and at least in Evolutionary terms, I would not have my survival wiped out from over-commitment to a dead theory?

This was very natural, for Jesus, to discern what it was that was appropriate, depending on His audience? He did not want merely to survive, living in fear that something He said would be considered unwise? Or worse?

Evolution does not make ANY statement.
Evolution is a process of imperfect genetic replication, as filtered through selective pressures on the environment.
The only way that evolution could collapse, is if all life ceased to exist.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Evolution does not make ANY statement.
Evolution is a process of imperfect genetic replication, as filtered through selective pressures on the environment.
The only way that evolution could collapse, is if all life ceased to exist.
On the Harvard scale of Cosmic Evolution, that falls under "Future Evolution."

s_5.gif

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,744.00
Faith
Atheist
What's your beef with the term "atheistic evolution"?
Could it be that atheists don't have some type of evolution particular to them, any more than do stamp-collectors, speleologists, or road-sweepers?

Perhaps the use of "atheistic evolution" was for explicit contrast to "theistic evolution" for the purposes of that chart...

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps the use of "atheistic evolution" was for explicit contrast to "theistic evolution" for the purposes of that chart...
As I pointed out in the first three lines of Post 382.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You just like using any old label you see, don't you?
Here's where it all started: Post 29

I didn't think a thing of it, until I questioned it; then all of a sudden, it's like I was the one who brought it up.

It's interesting that I've been using that term since 2008 without any "backlash," as one poster put it.

Here's the first time I used it: Taking Questions on the Creation

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,719.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So basically there is a difference between text and subtext. When Jesus went around preaching, He would speak in parables - sharing text with people, but keeping the subtext to Himself and His disciples.

The parables were historical events. The Holy Spirit offers up the value of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟268,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Evolution has no value to show

Warden_of_the_Storm said:

There would be something to see showing it if there was. Why not show there is, if there is?

Kylie said:
Evolution leads to organisms becoming better adapted to survive the pressures they find themselves facing. How is this not value?

If it was actually the case, this occurs and God is not involved, that would have value, for us. But whether we say that happens rather than say it was otherwise has nothing to do with being of value.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,719.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There would be something to see showing it if there was. Why not show there is, if there is?

So, to you, what counts as something of value with regards to evolution?

Because asking something that is descriptive of biology to offer something of value is based on either a very poor understanding of science, or just ignorance in general.

Upvote 0