Ok. Question: in the Bible Jesus speaks in parables; what general statement does Evolution make?

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So basically there is a difference between text and subtext. When Jesus went around preaching, He would speak in parables - sharing text with people, but keeping the subtext to Himself and His disciples. The point was, if you were dull of heart and hard of hearing, there was no point in striking up a conversation with you - you would just continue to be the fool.

So where does Evolution stand, on that? Is there something that you believe as an Evolutionist, that you would not share with just anyone? What alternatives do you offer, to keep people interested in what the greater context might mean (just as Jesus offered parables)?

This is an important step, since it draws a line in the sand, as to whom is a fool to you and whom is not? When I offer thought bubbles to people online, I do not for example, attempt to expound what Evolution is in scripture - no! - instead I offer something up that is debatable and further care to see how it is I am corrected, if at all, so as to understand Evolution better? The point being that if Evolution collapsed tomorrow, my wits would still be about me and at least in Evolutionary terms, I would not have my survival wiped out from over-commitment to a dead theory?

This was very natural, for Jesus, to discern what it was that was appropriate, depending on His audience? He did not want merely to survive, living in fear that something He said would be considered unwise? Or worse?

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

So basically there is a difference between text and subtext. When Jesus went around preaching, He would speak in parables - sharing text with people, but keeping the subtext to Himself and His disciples. The point was, if you were dull of heart and hard of hearing, there was no point in striking up a conversation with you - you would just continue to be the fool.

So where does Evolution stand, on that? Is there something that you believe as an Evolutionist, that you would not share with just anyone? What alternatives do you offer, to keep people interested in what the greater context might mean (just as Jesus offered parables)?

This is an important step, since it draws a line in the sand, as to whom is a fool to you and whom is not? When I offer thought bubbles to people online, I do not for example, attempt to expound what Evolution is in scripture - no! - instead I offer something up that is debatable and further care to see how it is I am corrected, if at all, so as to understand Evolution better? The point being that if Evolution collapsed tomorrow, my wits would still be about me and at least in Evolutionary terms, I would not have my survival wiped out from over-commitment to a dead theory?

This was very natural, for Jesus, to discern what it was that was appropriate, depending on His audience? He did not want merely to survive, living in fear that something He said would be considered unwise? Or worse?

I don't have the time now, but all I have to say is.

WRONG!!

• Informative
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

Evolution doesn't make a 'general statement'. It doesn't tell parables or tales, or teach morality lessons. It's simply a fact of biology.
Really: LEARN ABOUT EVOLUTION!

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟242,706.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
instead I offer something up that is debatable and further care to see how it is I am corrected, if at all, so as to understand Evolution better?

This is not the way.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

Jesus thinks deaf people are fools?

So where does Evolution stand, on that?

Evolution disagrees. Evolution thinks that anyone who believes deaf people are fools are mean and nasty.

To be fair, the only person I have heard say that is you, Gottservant. Why are you so mean to deaf people?

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Jesus thinks deaf people are fools?

Evolution disagrees. Evolution thinks that anyone who believes deaf people are fools are mean and nasty.

To be fair, the only person I have heard say that is you, Gottservant. Why are you so mean to deaf people?

Ignorance of what the Parables are actually all about, and because of that ignorance, making up personal beliefs about them doesn't help find the truth

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Ignorance of what the Parables are actually all about, and because of that ignorance, making up personal beliefs about them doesn't help find the truth
Gottservant takes pretty much the same approach to science. All of his discourses are purely linguistic. He uses words as if there were no real world referents to them. In this case he is riffing on the word "parable" not the real parables of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gottservant takes pretty much the same approach to science. All of his discourses are purely linguistic. He uses words as if there were no real world referents to them. In this case he is riffing on the word "parable" not the real parables of Jesus.

Insightful. Perhaps that means linguistic distraction is possible?
antidisestablishmentarianism
floccinaucinihilipilification
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

• Haha
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evolution doesn't make a 'general statement'. It doesn't tell parables or tales, or teach morality lessons. It's simply a fact of biology.
Really: LEARN ABOUT EVOLUTION!

I'd like to know the evolutionary purpose of subtext, as well as other intrigues of communication; lying for example. How the concept of religion, especially creation, evolved would be interesting as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'd like to know the evolutionary purpose of subtext, as well as other intrigues of communication; lying for example. How the concept of religion, especially creation, evolved would be interesting as well.

The ToE have nothing to do with the above.

Learn the basics.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The ToE have nothing to do with the above.

Learn the basics.

It has been pointed out to me in the past that everything we do including thoughts and feelings are the result of evolution.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How does evolution explain religion?

Evolution = how biological organisms change over time (a fact).

The ToE = how evolution works.

Now that this very basic thing is out of the way, do you understand how stupid your question is?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Evolution = how biological organisms change over time (a fact).

The ToE = how evolution works.

Now that this very basic thing is out of the way, do you understand how stupid your question is?

Nope. How does an evolved organism (the brain) conceive beliefs that oppose it's supposed origin?

• Winner
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟349,750.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single

I think you're looking at that in the wrong way.
It's not because of evolution by itself that those things exist. It's because of the evolution of the human mind, that's what allowed humans to create those concepts.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Several parables can be understood in more than one way. The parable "Workers in the Vineyard" is one such.

Upvote 0