Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I kind of do, but more specifically, I tend to think that if someone is in medical distress, little things like that ought to be forgotten.

It's all part of the package in this instance. Would it be different if the person was having a heart attack? Probably so.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2016
USA
✟8,099.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand having a picture for evidence. Posting it was inappropriate. The child is in the car and they people need medical attention. They grab her hair to snap a photo. I don't care for the people in the situation but police should be more mature than teens at a party.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I understand having a picture for evidence. Posting it was inappropriate. The child is in the car and they people need medical attention. They grab her hair to snap a photo. I don't care for the people in the situation but police should be more mature than teens at a party.
They were getting their "medical attention". They both got their narcan or whatever it's called.

The cops didn't post this as "drug shaming" , they posted it so that people can see what it's like dealing with drug addicts.

If there had been a puppy in the car instead of a kid, I can almost guarantee that people like you would've been screaming for their heads, and forget their medical treatment, etc.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Posting this picture is supposed rondo what? Make addicts recognize the error of their ways? Or is it meant to show what addiction makes people do, hoping the America public will now recognize that you can't fight drug addiction as a crime problem? Or is it to serve as a warning to people who haven't done drugs?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Posting this picture is supposed rondo what? Make addicts recognize the error of their ways? Or is it meant to show what addiction makes people do, hoping the America public will now recognize that you can't fight drug addiction as a crime problem? Or is it to serve as a warning to people who haven't done drugs?

Probably all three.

Their statement regarding the photo: "We are well aware that some may be offended by these images and for that we are truly sorry, but it is time that the non drug using public sees what we are now dealing with on a daily basis," the city said in the post.
"The poison known as heroin has taken a strong grip on many communities not just ours. The difference is we are willing to fight this problem until it's gone and if that means we offend a few people along the way we are prepared to deal with that."

Took the link out - didn't realize it was going to directly link it. UGH.

Here's the link to their general facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cityofeastliverpool/

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2016
USA
✟8,099.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
They were getting their "medical attention". They both got their narcan or whatever it's called.

The cops didn't post this as "drug shaming" , they posted it so that people can see what it's like dealing with drug addicts.

If there had been a puppy in the car instead of a kid, I can almost guarantee that people like you would've been screaming for their heads, and forget their medical treatment, etc.

Why do the police have to show us anything? If they don't like their job they are free to find other employment. Not sure who people like me are. I work in the field of Criminal Justice. The kid should have been removed immediately BEFORE the photo. If a dog was in the car they could shot it for all I care. Perhaps you need to check your bigotry.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Perhaps EMS should start showing pictures of mangled bodies and body parts after accidents to show people what they have to deal with when people don't always do the right thing.

Overweight? Doctors should show their pictures online because they're not leading a healthy lifestyle, "Faces of Heart Disease and Diabetes."

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why do the police have to show us anything? If they don't like their job they are free to find other employment. Not sure who people like me are. I work in the field of Criminal Justice. The kid should have been removed immediately BEFORE the photo. If a dog was in the car they could shot it for all I care. Perhaps you need to check your bigotry.

Bigotry? I think maybe you need to check the definition of a word before you use it.

By the way 'people like you' referred to the people getting all twisted over the photo and its potential "harm".

It's not about not liking their job, although a reasonable person might be able to understand how a police officer might not react positively to this situation.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps EMS should start showing pictures of mangled bodies and body parts after accidents to show people what they have to deal with when people don't always do the right thing.

Overweight? Doctors should show their pictures online because they're not leading a healthy lifestyle, "Faces of Heart Disease and Diabetes."

Did they not show you those horrible drivers ed movies?

Have you ever seen the photos for articles that talk about rising obesity? They nearly always have the lower half of someone's body in them. My WiiU Mii is FAT because I am fat. Anti-smoking campaigns LOVE to show pictures of lungs of smokers.

This is not a new thing.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Did they not show you those horrible drivers ed movies?

Have you ever seen the photos for articles that talk about rising obesity? They nearly always have the lower half of someone's body in them. My WiiU Mii is FAT because I am fat. Anti-smoking campaigns LOVE to show pictures of lungs of smokers.

This is not a new thing.
No, they no longer show horrible driver's education films with mangled bodies, they abandoned that in the late 1980s or early 1990s, which is good, the decline of vehicular deaths has continued without those videos: http://www.childtrends.org/?indicators=motor-vehicle-deaths

You're also missing a key point, showing the lower half of someone's body and a pair of lungs does not reveal the person's identity. Yes, I am sure this couple's arrest record is public, but not them in this condition.

What's a WiiU Mii? Some sort of video game avatar? I no longer play games, but I would encourage people to jog and hike more to deal with obesity, although I know it's more than exercise, especially when you consider how healthy food has premium prices. I am likely to be one of those skinny elderly people (due to an already low caloric intake), where I'm being told, "Eat!" but still being stubborn much like my grandparents. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
No, they no longer show horrible driver's education films with mangled bodies, they abandoned that in the late 1980s or early 1990s, which is good, the decline of vehicular deaths has continued without those videos: http://www.childtrends.org/?indicators=motor-vehicle-deaths
http://www.childtrends.org/?indicators=motor-vehicle-deaths

I saw them in 1992. My son saw them as late as 2013.

For both of us, they were very effective. Part of the reason I will never drink and drive is because of those videos!

You're also missing a key point, showing the lower half of someone's body and a pair of lungs does not reveal the person's identity. Yes, I am sure this couple's arrest record is public, but not them in this condition.

Consider it their mug shot then.

Drug addicts like this HAVE to hit rock bottom before they'll even consider trying to get help. If this picture helps this couple get on the wagon, great. If it doesn't help them, but it helps someone else, GREAT. If nothing else, it's bringing greater awareness to a very severe problem that encompasses every city in this country.

I would be MORTIFIED that I ever put my kid in that kind of danger, not worried about the public seeing me like that!

What's a WiiU Mii? Some sort of video game avatar? I no longer play games, but I would encourage people to jog and hike more to deal with obesity, although I know it's more than exercise, especially when you consider how healthy food has premium prices. I am likely to be one of those skinny elderly people (due to an already low caloric intake), where I'm being told, "Eat!" but still being stubborn much like my grandparents. :)

yeah, it's my "character" so to speak on my WiiU. I do some of my fitness stuff through it, and I get weighed. My Mii makes a sad face when my weight is over the ideal.

I always thought I'd be one of those skinny people, as I was a beanpole leading up to the last four years, but then my metabolism kinda blew up at me. :) I have a desk job these days, but back in 2010 I worked retail and let me tell you - nothing like an 8 hour workout everyday. I was at my skinniest during that time. I miss it, for sure!

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I saw them in 1992. My son saw them as late as 2013.

For both of us, they were very effective. Part of the reason I will never drink and drive is because of those videos!
I guess it must depend on state because they no longer show it in my school system (or any of my friends throughout my home state).

Consider it their mug shot then.

Drug addicts like this HAVE to hit rock bottom before they'll even consider trying to get help. If this picture helps this couple get on the wagon, great. If it doesn't help them, but it helps someone else, GREAT. If nothing else, it's bringing greater awareness to a very severe problem that encompasses every city in this country.

I would be MORTIFIED that I ever put my kid in that kind of danger, not worried about the public seeing me like that!
I would not consider it a mugshot because it's not one. I don't think this will be a wake up call for them because they're addicts, the whole process of arresting them and imprisoning them doesn't seem like it will clean them up. They will likely lose custody of their child, which will just free up more time for them to use drugs. Addiction is a horrible cycle, but I don't think this picture will be the bottom for them. Very sad.

yeah, it's my "character" so to speak on my WiiU. I do some of my fitness stuff through it, and I get weighed. My Mii makes a sad face when my weight is over the ideal.

I always thought I'd be one of those skinny people, as I was a beanpole leading up to the last four years, but then my metabolism kinda blew up at me. :) I have a desk job these days, but back in 2010 I worked retail and let me tell you - nothing like an 8 hour workout everyday. I was at my skinniest during that time. I miss it, for sure!
I run a lot, so I think that's been one of the reasons I am not experiencing the blow up yet. However, I can fully understand how it happens; I did a fellowship over the summer and you're mostly at your computer. I also made a decision to devote more of my energy to work and not my usual extracurricular activities and I gained weight. Luckily, the fellowship ended and whatever weight I gained disappeared after I went back to my old lifestyle. Ah, age and metabolism, it seems you have to work harder as you get older.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I guess it must depend on state because they no longer show it in my school system (or any of my friends throughout my home state).

It might. I just remember they had a very sobering (pun very much intended) on me!

I would not consider it a mugshot because it's not one. I don't think this will be a wake up call for them because they're addicts, the whole process of arresting them and imprisoning them doesn't seem like it will clean them up. They will likely lose custody of their child, which will just free up more time for them to use drugs. Addiction is a horrible cycle, but I don't think this picture will be the bottom for them. Very sad.

It's quite the cycle, since the woman is the boy's grandma and has custody of him because her daughter also has issues.

I had a friend who was addicted to crack. Horrible drug. She stole from her boyfriend, sold his cancer drugs to get money, sold her kids adderall (and actually smoked the adderal when she couldn't get her crack). It took a photo to get her to see she needed help - her son crying over her lifeless body in the bathroom. Her ex took it after the other son called him and told him to come get them because mommy was dead. Thankfully, mommy wasn't dead.

What these people also lack is family support. My friend had that, even in her ex, and was able to work very hard at getting clean.

I run a lot, so I think that's been one of the reasons I am not experiencing the blow up yet. However, I can fully understand how it happens; I did a fellowship over the summer and you're mostly at your computer. I also made a decision to devote more of my energy to work and not my usual extracurricular activities and I gained weight. Luckily, the fellowship ended and whatever weight I gained disappeared after I went back to my old lifestyle. Ah, age and metabolism, it seems you have to work harder as you get older.

There's so much more I could be doing, but then I'm just...no. I am bowling again, which is a bit of exercise, and I try to get out and play with the kids as much as possible. Getting old is NOT fun! :D

Upvote 0