ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I consider all three of you friends of mine, but y'all are making my head hurt!
bangHeadAgainstWall.gif
You have to let me know how you find all of those quirky images.:p

Upvote 0

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Concerning end times terminology.

The word "soon" (Gr. tachus) has a meaning of quickly, like suddenly quickly.
The word "near" (Gr. eggus) has a meaning of distance, not time. Like 50 ft. away, as an example.

Vv.8-9 of the following text present a clearer picture of this scenario.
The Lord's coming is near, yet He is standing at the door. Not moving.

JAS 5:7 Be patient, then, brothers, until the Lord's coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop and how patient he is for the autumn and spring rains. 8 You too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near. 9 Don't grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!

And the reason for a delay is the fact that we are not living holy and Godly lives (v.11). Because when that Day comes, we better be found in good shape.
God delays that Day because He wants us to repent. (v.9)

Our good behavior will SPEED God's coming (v.12).

2PE 3:3 First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, "Where is this `coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." ... ... ...
2PE 3:8 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
2PE 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare.
2PE 3:11 Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and godly lives 12 as you look forward to the day of God and speed its coming. That day will bring about the destruction of the heavens by fire, and the elements will melt in the heat. 13 But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.
2PE 3:14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.

No wonder Satan wants us to fight each other ... this will delay that Day.

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Another good one.....

attachment.php

My StepDad is an elder now, and he has brought my Mom over to the preterist way. Being that I am a futurist who believes we are in the fifth trump/seal, we don't even talk scripture anymore because we have to respect each others views.
I really need to find a fellowship church, but I find myself just studying via the internet with a wide selection of pastors. I do miss fellowship though.

Attachments

• !cid_image002.gif
    !cid_image002.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Edial

Site Supporter
Nov 3, 2004
United States
✟63,157.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion we cannot interpret the signs of the times.

MT 16:2 He replied, "When evening comes, you say, `It will be fair weather, for the sky is red,' 3 and in the morning, `Today it will be stormy, for the sky is red and overcast.' You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times. 4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away.

The sign that the Pharisees wanted was perhabs the Joel sign of the sun being covered and so forth.
Jesus however, gave them the sign of Jonah ... because once the Joel sign is there, without Jonah's sign ... it is too late. :)

However, we should interpret prophecies of the end times. (Mt. 24:25)
Not signs, but prophecies.

But this must be looked at from a perspective of "birth pains" (v.8), meaning some events, such as wars and famines will be increasing in frequency. The time of peace between these events will be shorter and shorter. (Mt.24:3-25).
Then, at some point after v.8, this will lead to more definite events.

HOWEVER, the emphasis on watching these prophecies is so that we will not be deceived by false christs (vv.24,26,27).

And I'll tell you ... it takes some wisdom to figure out the future EVEN based on prophecies. :)
We could easily see the past events as reflected in the prophecies ... but future - tough. :)

It took some really wise men to figure out the exact time of Christ's birth. :)
Merry Christmas, by the way. :)

Thanks, :)
Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I looked at that Obama picture in your avatar and suddenly feel hungry. :D:)
If on the day the president elect is sworn in to office, I put a caption that says “ we gonna eat some white house food tonight baby” underneath the picture, would you consider that racist?

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bill is my favorite Irish Hot Head. Wish I had his money….lol