• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Ocd wants me to doubt the Bible

Karabear10

Aug 14, 2022
✟27,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is more of a vent. Anyone who has dealt with this, I'd appreciate advice but don't feel pressured. My ocd right now is revolved on doubting the Bible and Jesus. How do I know? What if? Those are my main two thoughts. Its just so irritating. I want to believe but it feels like I'm stuck in unbelief and uncertainty

C
Cosmos777
At the end of the day, OCD, in a spiritual sense is the desire to be in control and complete certainty regarding ourselves and our life.. So although I have this war inside myself where I’m battling between belief and unbelief, which is mentally exhausting, I simply sigh, and understand that I don’t have control and there’s no answer good enough or amazing enough to stop OCD in its tracks.
Upvote 0
C
Cosmos777
I am 100% relying on God. There’s nothing I can say or do, other than to persevere. Do I worry that this constant doubt will lead to spiritual apathy, or will lead me to abandon God, and never find peace, absolutely! So I just pray for God to take control and I give up, I surrender.
Reactions: Ajj
Upvote 0
C
Cosmos777
My mind may be doing one thing but my heart is doing another. I pray for God’s strength to keep me going, and reading HIS word and worshiping, and keeping away from sin.
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

In my teens I started having questions along those lines like how I could know that God exists or how I could know that I could trust the Bible. There is nothing wrong with having those sorts of questions and in fact they are good questions to have because they lead us to dig deeper to find solid answers, which can lead us to have a stronger faith than what we had before we asked those questions. There are many books, articles, and videos on these sorts of questions.

Reactions: Karabear10
Upvote 0

subtlecollision

Feb 8, 2020
Wisconsin
✟31,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If this is indeed OCD related, what you have to do is choose to believe even when you have the doubts. When you experience the doubts, just tell yourself you're going to ignore them and "act as if" you don't have them. Don't give in to them. Keep reading your Bible, praying, listening to Christian music, going to church etc. If you do this for a while, your doubts will start to decrease.

Reactions: Ajj
Upvote 0

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, i have had those moments as an OCD suferer, and it's very scary, because i know better, but then i try not to concentrate on it(because i know it's OCD talking), also i know that i have studied enough of good books about the subject and how true and accurate those accounts are, and then, by not concentrating on it, it gradually disappears from my mind, and i am carefull not to allow my mind zoom in to those disruptive thoughts.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is more of a vent. Anyone who has dealt with this, I'd appreciate advice but don't feel pressured. My ocd right now is revolved on doubting the Bible and Jesus. How do I know? What if? Those are my main two thoughts. Its just so irritating. I want to believe but it feels like I'm stuck in unbelief and uncertainty
Please read the free web site:-
25 Tips for Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment
In particular point 4 Intrusive thought.
It suggest that one just acknowledges those thoughts and moves on.

Upvote 0

Graydon Booth

Psalm 19:1
May 10, 2022
Sacramento
✟23,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh yes, OCD does this to me all the time.

Reactions: Karabear10
Upvote 0

paulmartinnnnnnn

Feb 5, 2023
Akron
✟12,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi! This might be a dumb question and an overly scrupulous one at that (I struggle with OCD and anxiety), but I’m asking it regardless. I’ve struggled with unbelief recently, and I’m saved and still read my Bible every morning, go to church, and pray constantly, but I just feel kind of stuck and frustrated and unheard. If I’m being honest, it’s super hard to be joyful in a period like this (and I feel like I’m going through it totally alone because I’m embarrassed to tell anyone) because I want to be moving forward, and I’ve just recently started to feel joyful again through it. I was wondering, though; Romans 15:13, NASB says: “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing”, but it seems that having joy is contingent upon believing, and I’m wondering if this joy is an emotion one can feel in unbelief though you can’t really control unbelief other than through prayer.

Let me know, thank you!

Upvote 0

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can have joy when you trust God in your struggles, and you can overcome unbelief by trusting God and His word, but that scripture does not mean or say that you can not have joy if you have issues with unbelief. Joy is not contingent in belief(because that's not what this scripture says), eventhough it's true that if you have faith you can be a joyfull person.
What this scripture means can be easier understood in NIV version:
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
Apostle Paul is simply praying that God would fill them with joy and peace "as" they trust(believe) in God.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,076.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It seems to be a universal symptom for OCD sufferers including me. I could not bury the vast amount of contradictions in the Bible.

And then I couldn't find anywhere in the Bible that Jesus said we should continue reading the scriptures as words to His disciples. He did say he's sending the Spirit of Truth to guide us into ALL Truth.

Many Christians defend this by saying the Spirit of Truth will point us to the Bible to get us underway with the Truth. But I found such argument extremely absurd. Because if that argument is true, it makes the Bible the higher authority than the Holy Spirit concerning matters of the truth.

What goes in my mind. I'm lost in the jungle. I ask a stranger who should I ask for directions. Stranger #1 tells me to go Stranger #2 because #2 would know everything about navigating the jungle. Then it's Stranger #2 the one I should be talking to. Stranger #2 would be the higher authority in jungle navigation.

It doesn't make sense if The Holy Spirit knows everything and tells us everything we need to know then only the Holy Spirit is telling the Truth. Everything else could be corrupted. God's Word although incorruptible is not physical, there's not enough physical volume to contain all the Teachings of Jesus as said by His Beloved Disciples. Therefore, the only claim that is divine, incorruptible does not exist in physical manner. The Bible is physical, therefore it cannot be IT. Even the Bible itself makes no guarantee the scriptures are pure, uncorrupted. Even Jesus did not instruct His disciples to read scriptures.

Even the Bible is screaming Holy Spirit. That's how it goes in my mind because that's how it says. I could not make myself believe what isn't true, what isn't guaranteed.

Upvote 0

Isa41:10

Sep 13, 2021
Twin Cities
✟17,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, I can understand where you're coming from, having OCD myself for a couple decades. The type of OCD I have is Scrupulosity and I have obsessional thoughts primarily revolving around my eternal security. Although I haven't had the exact thoughts you've been describing, I can understand how they make you feel. Over the years I've come to recognize the feeling OCD brings. It's a very distinct anxiety that is unlike other "normal" anxiety or worries I have in everyday life.

For the past seven years at least, God has really been pointing me to the verse "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10) and showing me the immense depth of wisdom packed in it, especially when it comes to OCD. When I'm doing the mental gymnastics of compulsions (with my compulsions being mainly internal) I'm totally frantic, spinning the triggering thought over and over in my mind in a desperate act to "make sure" I didn't mean the thoughts I had with the hope that once I'm "certain" then the anxiety will be alleviated. It's beyond tiring to say the least, and an ongoing battle that seems to only get worse the more I fight it. And yet, through it all, God keeps pointing me back to that verse – "Be still and know that I am God."

Something I've noticed in myself, in those in this forum, in others I know who struggle with all assortments of hardships, is that we all share a common denominator that runs through the heart of our struggles – emotions. We're all feeling something, and that something is intense negative emotions. What is the real sting from OCD? Is it the thoughts? No, it's the emotions. Without the emotions that come with the intrusive thoughts then the thoughts would be nothing more than a fleeting mist in the wind. But when those emotions pierce us, it's painful, blindingly painful. Yet God still beckons me to the same verse – "Be still and know that I am God."

Emotions are a sensation. They can be positive or negative, intense or subtle, motivating or distracting, but ultimately they aren't a physical presence that hogties us into submission beyond our control. When it comes to OCD the emotions can be terrible, just awful, and yet even in the deepest pit of terror that we may feel, the emotions are still what they are – a sensation. We're feeling them, but they aren't us. They're happening to us, but they aren't who we are. They don't control us, they have no authority over us, they don't have power in and of themselves to overtake us. The only power they wield only comes from how much we give to them. The reason I get neck deep in compulsions and am so mentally frantic is because of the emotions egging me on, and the more I give in to the compulsions to dull the emotions the more I feed them, and the more I feed the emotions the stronger they get, and the stronger they get the more influence they have to get me to do more compulsions and continue the toxic cycle.

However, when I choose to "be still" then that same toxic cycle breaks, and the game changes completely. That's when the emotion's bluff is called and they're exposed. Again, emotions can't do anything on their own accord – they can't harm me, they can't harm you, they can't harm others, they can't make the outcomes that I am terrified of happening actually happen. Are they deafening? Yes. Intense? Absolutely. Distracting? All the time. Real? Very. True? ...No. In control? No. All knowing? No. All powerful? No. God? Not even close. Emotions are emotions, which are sensations – something we feel. And the more I'm still and not taking the bait on engaging in a fight with my emotions that I won't ever win, the more I pull the emotions out of the driver's seat.

The art of being "still" – and something the devil completely doesn't want us to do – is to be okay in our emotions. It doesn't mean we have to like them, embrace them, tolerate them, give them a side hug or anything, but to simply "be still" in the midst of them. It's not suppressing them or pretending they don't exist, but rather to not get all riled up and act on them as they run a muck all around us. The opposite of being still is fighting, so to "be still" is to lay down our flimsy weapons we've fashioned ourselves to fight OCD with (and ultimately to fight our emotions) and to just surrender – to be still. Now, the verse doesn't say, "Be still and it's going to be a piece of cake and totally peaceful and not hard at all and know that I am God," because to actually apply this verse in our lives, especially when it comes to OCD, is challenging – crazy hard actually. But. Not. Impossible. And the only reason why it's not impossible is because of the One the latter half of the verse is referring to – God. When we choose to "be still", to be okay with the emotions by not fighting back with compulsions, then we experience a deliverance that only the Deliverer can bring, and as we experience one deliverance after another we will "know" God like the verse says.

"My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he will pluck my feet out of the net" (Psalm 25:15). There's a lot in this verse. First, the psalmist (or we could insert ourselves in this scenario), is caught in a net – a hardship, a difficulty, an emotional struggle from the barrage of intrusive thoughts. And yet, we take our eyes off the net, and in doing so we're surrendering, because if it was our prerogative to get out of the net ourselves then we would need to focus on it. But we don't, we shift our gaze to Jesus – the very One, the only One, who will pluck us from the net that entangles us. But notice it doesn't say, "My eyes are ever toward the Lord, and immediately he plucks me out of that horrible net and I'm totally chill and calm and without a care in the world." As we're fixing our eyes on Jesus we're still in the net, still in the struggle, but being still in the emotions while we wait for God to deliver us from them.

Know this, the focal point isn't waging war against OCD in general, with the goal of reaching a point where you don't have intrusive thoughts anymore and thus be at peace. If the devil doesn't beat us down with the OCD itself then he can use our motivation to escape OCD by enticing us to fight it on our own, in our own understanding, in our own strength. And we will never win that fight on our own. Ever. But if we stop trying to get out of the net we hate so much by our own means and instead lift our eyes to Jesus and wait on Him to calm the storm inside us, then, and only then, will we experience the peace we so desire.

Practically this can look like so many different things (one of which is therapy, which I highly recommend), but ultimately it comes down to the moment by moment determination to choose to sit at the table Jesus has prepared in the presence of our enemies – which, in this case, is our emotions – and wait for Him to deliver us.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest," Jesus has said. And He meant it. The battle belongs to Him, not you. He calls you not to fight, for "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14). And when you do, you will know Him more and the love and peace only He can give.

Upvote 0

AnnaKorp

Jun 13, 2023
Maassluis
✟8,101.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi from the Netherlands,

I’m glad I found this page (although the searching is probably a compulsion, ghehe). But I’m currently in the middle of this horrible obsession too. For the past 3 years on and off I’ve had intrusive doubts (like every other non obsessive Christian has them too). But I seem to linger on them way too long. I HATE IT. I just want my old faith back, but try to live with the uncertainty right now. Maybe I’ll never have back what I once had…

For me it’s soft for my soul to see other people are struggling with this theme too. It makes me feel less alone.

Hope we’ll all sense a bit of improvement in the upcoming time ❤️

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi from the Netherlands,

I’m glad I found this page (although the searching is probably a compulsion, ghehe). But I’m currently in the middle of this horrible obsession too. For the past 3 years on and off I’ve had intrusive doubts (like every other non obsessive Christian has them too). But I seem to linger on them way too long. I HATE IT. I just want my old faith back, but try to live with the uncertainty right now. Maybe I’ll never have back what I once had…

For me it’s soft for my soul to see other people are struggling with this theme too. It makes me feel less alone.

Hope we’ll all sense a bit of improvement in the upcoming time ❤️
Thank you so much for sharing! You are definitely not alone! OCD is hard to have, but we can learn so much through dealing with it, and there is a lot of hope and help available. Are you currently getting any help for your OCD (e.g. medication or therapy)?

Upvote 0

paulmartinnnnnnn

Feb 5, 2023
Akron
✟12,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I have a few questions for those on this thread, so bare with me. I’m 18 with Scrupulosity (religious OCD) and anxiety, so take these questions with that in mind. I’ve been a believer for my whole life but got saved around 12, but I’ve had intense doubts about God’s existence for around 3 years. I’ve fed into the compulsions (OCD term) and tried to watch/read so many evidences of God and miracles, but I still have doubts and I don’t want to. I read my Bible daily, go to church, have a good prayer life, worship Him, and have been truly saved, but is that all enough if I don’t have concrete faith? I can’t control the faith and I really want to believe, but it’s all just left me asking if I’m included when God talks about believers.

There are two verses in particular that have become the subject of my mindstruggles recently:

“Without faith it is impossible to please God”

This one’s pretty clear why I’d struggle with it.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

Are those with unbelief or scrupulosity that makes it relatively impossible to accept anything or any proof(I’ve had scrupulosity for 3 years, OCD for my whole life, it’s miserable, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone) simply not supposed to enter the Kingdom? I’ve really been struggling.

I plan on seeing a Christian counselor but if someone could answer these questions in the meantime, that would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I have a few questions for those on this thread, so bare with me. I’m 18 with Scrupulosity (religious OCD) and anxiety, so take these questions with that in mind. I’ve been a believer for my whole life but got saved around 12, but I’ve had intense doubts about God’s existence for around 3 years. I’ve fed into the compulsions (OCD term) and tried to watch/read so many evidences of God and miracles, but I still have doubts and I don’t want to. I read my Bible daily, go to church, have a good prayer life, worship Him, and have been truly saved, but is that all enough if I don’t have concrete faith? I can’t control the faith and I really want to believe, but it’s all just left me asking if I’m included when God talks about believers.

There are two verses in particular that have become the subject of my mindstruggles recently:

“Without faith it is impossible to please God”

This one’s pretty clear why I’d struggle with it.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope."

Are those with unbelief or scrupulosity that makes it relatively impossible to accept anything or any proof(I’ve had scrupulosity for 3 years, OCD for my whole life, it’s miserable, I wouldn’t wish it on anyone) simply not supposed to enter the Kingdom? I’ve really been struggling.

I plan on seeing a Christian counselor but if someone could answer these questions in the meantime, that would be incredibly helpful. Thank you!
Thank you for sharing your struggle! I have had OCD most of my life, and have struggled with scrupulosity a lot. With OCD, it is important not to feed the compulsions. Have you been able to practice doing this? Also, do you have any support for dealing with your OCD? I can recommend a few resources. One that I like is the Facebook support group Christianity and Anxiety Disorders. Also the blog articles at Scrupulosity.com: Faith-based Solutions for Religious OCD - Scrupulosity.com.

Upvote 0