• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD/Tourettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PARCmd

Nov 27, 2007
✟7,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When has that ever been a symptom of OCD? Just wondering because I'm living with it and never heard this.

Well, isn't it that OCD symptoms include unwanted urges/impulses to do something (which includes mumbling or speaking)???

Some of us here in this forum do mumble our impulsive thoughts sometimes unwittingly, sometimes voluntarily - but just to be able to cancel those thoughts.

Some say that actually mumbling/speaking out the thoughts reflect a severe form of OCD.. I dunno if this is true..

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes Parc,
I've read that same thing about the OCD/tourette's connection in some individuals. And yes - I do think that some people verbalize the blasphemies even though they don't want to just as a person with tourette's has unpleasant and disturbing verbal tics.
Also in reading many of your posts I would definitely say that you have a severe form of OCD - but if I was you I'd go and get a firm diagnosis from a Dr. Although knowing that it's OCD doesn't cure it - it helps tremendously to know that our symptoms of OCD are not our fault - that we are experiencing a real disorder and that there are treatments for it that are very successful in managing it.
Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were doing. Still praying for you my friend.
Mitzi

Well, isn't it that OCD symptoms include unwanted urges/impulses to do something (which includes mumbling or speaking)???

Some of us here in this forum do mumble our impulsive thoughts sometimes unwittingly, sometimes voluntarily - but just to be able to cancel those thoughts.

Some say that actually mumbling/speaking out the thoughts reflect a severe form of OCD.. I dunno if this is true..

Upvote 0

PARCmd

Nov 27, 2007
✟7,820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes Parc,
I've read that same thing about the OCD/tourette's connection in some individuals. And yes - I do think that some people verbalize the blasphemies even though they don't want to just as a person with tourette's has unpleasant and disturbing verbal tics.
Also in reading many of your posts I would definitely say that you have a severe form of OCD - but if I was you I'd go and get a firm diagnosis from a Dr. Although knowing that it's OCD doesn't cure it - it helps tremendously to know that our symptoms of OCD are not our fault - that we are experiencing a real disorder and that there are treatments for it that are very successful in managing it.
Good to hear from you. I was just thinking about you yesterday and wondering how you were doing. Still praying for you my friend.
Mitzi

I wished I had listened to all your replies since last year, when I had only "thought OCD". It would not have developed to this "speaking OCD" I've been experiencing right now and I would've had a better and more normal life.

Now, I guess it's just too late, when I've did something that Christ has warned very solemnly in the Gospel. I'm so afraid of going to Hell, but even more so afraid with the fact that maybe God has give up on me. I don't want to think this way, but I can't help it - the Bible explicitly says that "whoever blasphemes against the HS has never forgiveness" - it does not explicitly exclude slips of the tongue (which I am having during OCD thoughts - which I accidentally always verbalize.) Also, I read that the unpardonable sin has nothing to do with repentance, but it simply is a heinous sin that God could not and would not forgive. The agony of possibly being condemned right now is really, really haunting me.

What's worse, I usaully don't ask for forgiveness anymore I accidentally say those blasphemies because I think that God wouldn't forgive me anyway. I try hard to stop my mouth from speaking but eventually it somehow gets to the tip of my tongue.

Though on the other side, I am not sure if I have really spoken the blasphemy (in one whole sentence), though I've mumbled it, not willfully though (I'm not sure if it is deliberate). Yesterday, my mind tells me that I have blasphemed - I somehow remember having mumbled it without any canceling word, though another side of me tells that I have not spoke, even mumbled, those evil thoughts. There is just that feeling or urge that makes me to do so, while including a canceling word.

I don't ask forgiveness anymore from God because I feel that I won't be heard or forgiven anymore..

Is the blasphemy actually canceled if I said that "I cancel that blasphemous statement I made a few moments ago?"

I really, really envy those with typical OCD because they just have thoughts, but I have actually mumbled or vocalized (I don't really know) those thoughts. Everybody knows that the unforgivable blasphemy is a "speaking sin". I get a little guilty and emotional sometimes during the day.

I desperately want Jesus back. Will He still accept me back or have I really not committed any blasphemy sin? Please help. Have you experienced this form of "speaking OCD" (i.e., unwanted impulses) :(

Upvote 0

jc9992

Oct 2, 2006
Florida
✟7,946.00
Faith
Pentecostal
i said in my pm to you,i have a similar problem and so do other people on here two i know of are ChristianGuitar man and Babegirl cuz theyve told me.

Though on the other side, I am not sure if I have really spoken the blasphemy (in one whole sentence), though I've mumbled it, not willfully though (I'm not sure if it is deliberate). Yesterday, my mind tells me that I have blasphemed - I somehow remember having mumbled it without any canceling word, though another side of me tells that I have not spoke, even mumbled, those evil thoughts. There is just that feeling or urge that makes me to do so, while including a canceling word.

This is the part i relate to the most. As for everything else....youve stumped me. Honestly i really dont know what to say.I dont know if your reprobate,if your not being called by God anymore.But i do know this, God is most definetely not going to call you if youre condemned, I can give you scriptual proof on that if you like.

Heres the thing Parcmd, you are at your wits end obviously, and having experienced that myself ,no meds or ocd control methods can really help you at this point.Before i say this i want everybody to know that im not saying this is a spiritual problem because i know it isnt, but Parcmd your last option is to do some spiritual things to help you.First off i recommend that you get prayed for at your church.

You say that you desperatley want to find Jesus, then go to him.dont be afraid to get down on your knees and cry out, make an effort to pray everyday, several times a day, study the Bible(i know this cause anxiety, but read it anyway) Listen to Gospel music, sing Gospel music, If you attend church keep going and get involved in ministries. need i say more?

Parcmd youre at the point where you need to stop wondering and analyzing and doubting Jesus will accept you and just let go and strive to make things right, In a way act like you dont even have OCd just ignore everything and do all the things i suggested and see where that takes you.

Please trust me on this one, youve got nothing to lose. :)

Upvote 0

HeatherG

Oct 20, 2006
✟7,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heres the thing Parcmd, you are at your wits end obviously, and having experienced that myself ,no meds or ocd control methods can really help you at this point.

jc9992, I have to disagree with you on this point. I think Parc is suffering so badly with this OCD precisely because it is not being kept under control with appropriate medication or therapy.

Parc, I seem to remember a long time ago you said you were training to be a psychologist? Not sure if I got that right. I find it quite strange that you seem to have so little faith in medicine and therapy. You are going to be out of business if all your patients are like you! Please go see a doctor and get diagnosed, as Mitzi has said.

In answer to your question, I've heard something about a link between OCD and Tourettes as well but I don't know the details. You would be far better off asking a professional who does actually know about these things. You can also follow the other advice of jc9992 and seek prayer from your church and a closer relationship with Jesus. Of course I agree with these as well. But don't ignore the medical side any more. It can really help!:)

Praying for you.

Heather

Upvote 0

jc9992

Oct 2, 2006
Florida
✟7,946.00
Faith
Pentecostal
jc9992, I have to disagree with you on this point. I think Parc is suffering so badly with this OCD precisely because it is not being kept under control with appropriate medication or therapy.

I didnt want to be rude, but with the stuff Parcmd is saying it doesnt sound like he'd think meds would help him, thats what i meant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is it true that accidentally/involuntarily speaking out blasphemies is not OCD anymore but a symptom of Tourettes?
It would take a psychiatrist to diagnose it. It could possibly be Tourettes.

Upvote 0

RuthD

blah blah blah
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
Earth
✟191,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is common for people with tourettes to have OCD as well, however it is likely but less likely that one with OCD will exhibit some tourettes symptoms but not a full blown disorder.
Tourette's is a form of OCD.

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Parc,
I'm so sorry to be so late in replying to you. I hope you're still on the forum.
Firstly I would like to agree fully with what Heather had to say. Solid advice!!
You'll never know if meds. or therapy will help you if you don't try. I've dealt with various forms of anxiety disorders for well over 30 years. Meds. and learning to do therapy have helped me tremendously. It's never too late. When I was your age my OCD was so bad that I couldn't eat or sleep, or leave my house and could barely function. I am 5'8" tall and my weight dropped to 115 pounds. At one point my despair was so intense that I just wanted to die but I held on to the Cross of Christ desperately. Bottom line is that I eventually got better and so will you.

"Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Whosoever means any one, everyone, even people with severe religious OCD. The thing is - I know that you are already aware that true blasphemy engages the entire will of a person. There is no regret, no wishing or fearing that God is rejecting them. But OCD fogs all of this up due to the overwhelming anxiety that accompanies the fearful questions and possiblilities.
quote:
" I desperately want Jesus back."
Is this the voice of a blasphemer?? No - it's the voice of someone calling upon the name of the Lord.
But OCD will find a way to undo this reassurance if you let it keep pushing you around. It needs to be starved and the only way for you to do that is to have a professional teach you how to do that.
You have OCD. (I am positive that a professional will confirm this -please try and prove me wrong.) The blasphemies whether only in thought or verbally spoken are against your will. They are unwanted - they are intrusive and they have taken over every waking moment of your life. This is because you have fought so hard and long against them and by doing that you have fed the disorder. This is the monster of OCD.
You are not spiritually weak, or spirtually ignorant. You have an illness. A miserable tortuous illness. But OCD is not an illness for which there is no treatment. Please Parc, give up this mental warfare, you can't win it and go get some help. You have to admit that what you've been doing thus far is only making the disorder worse.
If you do have people pray for you at your church please have them pray that God will direct you and give you the courage to get professional help for your disorder.
I am deeply concerned for you - not about whether you are saved or not - but because I want very badly for you to get better.
I will continue to pray for you. Keep in touch.
Mitzi

Now, I guess it's just too late, when I've did something that Christ has warned very solemnly in the Gospel. I'm so afraid of going to Hell, but even more so afraid with the fact that maybe God has give up on me. I don't want to think this way, but I can't help it - the Bible explicitly says that "whoever blasphemes against the HS has never forgiveness" - it does not explicitly exclude slips of the tongue (which I am having during OCD thoughts - which I accidentally always verbalize.) Also, I read that the unpardonable sin has nothing to do with repentance, but it simply is a heinous sin that God could not and would not forgive. The agony of possibly being condemned right now is really, really haunting me.

What's worse, I usaully don't ask for forgiveness anymore I accidentally say those blasphemies because I think that God wouldn't forgive me anyway. I try hard to stop my mouth from speaking but eventually it somehow gets to the tip of my tongue.

I don't ask forgiveness anymore from God because I feel that I won't be heard or forgiven anymore..

Is the blasphemy actually canceled if I said that "I cancel that blasphemous statement I made a few moments ago?"

I really, really envy those with typical OCD because they just have thoughts, but I have actually mumbled or vocalized (I don't really know) those thoughts. Everybody knows that the unforgivable blasphemy is a "speaking sin". I get a little guilty and emotional sometimes during the day.

I desperately want Jesus back. Will He still accept me back or have I really not committed any blasphemy sin? Please help. Have you experienced this form of "speaking OCD" (i.e., unwanted impulses) :([/quote]

Upvote 0

babegirl111

Jan 17, 2008
✟7,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey, Parc. Your OCD is very severe and yes I have experienced thinking I have mumbled something blasphemous unwittingly. It is a symptom of OCD and one thing is that I think we forget that blaspemy of the Holy Spirit is completely rejecting the Holy Spirit, and if you don't have the Holy Spirit how can you be convicted and ask for forgiveness. If you speak against the Holy Spirit willingly obviously you don't care and your not convicted. Think about athiest that are converted, do you think that GOD wouldn't except them if they decided to come to HIM??? If you notice people with OCD Like us always feel that we are convicted and want to ask for forgiveness for pretty much everything. It is OCD, you are sick and you need to get help immediately. I do think Ocd takes professional help but you also have to help yourself too. Don't give up. GOD BLESS YOU!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheDeepblue

Feb 28, 2008
✟7,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What can seperate us from God's love?
Romans 8:38 - For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor
powers,
Romans 8:39 - nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord

Can OCD or anything else thwart God's plans for His people?
Phillipians 1:6 - Being confident of this very thing, that He which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.

Can OCD snatch us from God's hand?
John 10:28 - And I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:29 - My Father who has given them to Me is greater than all, and no one can snatch them out of the Father's hand.

This is the part i relate to the most. As for everything else....youve stumped me. Honestly i really dont know what to say.I dont know if your reprobate,if your not being called by God anymore.

Perhaps not the best choice of words jc. I can relate to the part where PARC says he doesn't feel like asking God forgiveness anymore because he feels condemned and it would be useless. Thankfully God has helped me on this and he will do the same for PARC. Just because you don't relate to specific issues that are a part of PARC's personal struggle with his OCD doesn't mean they aren't OCD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

picassoui

I mean no offense but a word of advice for those who might try to seek reassurance from someone who is a traditional calvinist ...DONT..
It will only make it worse.. The idea that God decides to save some and damn others will drive someone with OCD insane. The idea that you are now a reprobate and cut off from grace will drive someone with OCD insane .Some of the most wonderful well meaning people cause the most harm.

To par again i tottaly relate and you are in my prayers .

Upvote 0

kaykay537

In memoriam of Aaron~~ 12-12-1984-7-7-2001
May 7, 2008
North Texas
✟10,129.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm also late in responding to this thread, but let me just add that OCD will usually find a reason, exeption clause why you particulary can't be forgiven. If one thing gets settled, another arises. This is the nature of OCD. Does this make sense?

I don't recommend that OCD strugglers surf the net. Too much ill advised material out there. ANYONE can post a website,ya know?

That said, I have recommended the following website and I post it here again.

www.net-burst.net/guilty/scrupulosity.htm

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm also late in responding to this thread, but let me just add that OCD will usually find a reason, exeption clause why you particulary can't be forgiven. If one thing gets settled, another arises. This is the nature of OCD. Does this make sense?

Yes Kaykay,
You make perfect sense! You can't solve or outlogic OCD it will always find another "but what about....?" The harder we look for the exits the deeper we get into the maze.
Great Post!
Mitzi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.