• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

OCD and cheating in school

Maddy3000

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟16,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I just...I don't want to see a doctor, because that's going to be a whole big deal...i don't know what's wrong with me, though, if my OCD is just quirky or if I have a serious problem...i notice when I fixate on my current problem (something on my "list of wrongs") I get further from God...Like I cope with the anxiety by distracting myself with TV. And sometimes my issue is serious, sometimes it's not, but I jump from one sin and obsess over it to another... I know God forgives all sin but I worry that He wants me to do something, whether it be confess to someone or something else...and that's where my obsessing is. I don't want ill-gotten gain (my AA degree), but I'm wondering if God wants me to go in and talk to the counselors again or just let it go... I feel like He wants me to go in and talk to them, and I've been so distracted over the last month with my other worries that this faded to the background...also they never got back to me the first time; I waited a month to hear from them, and nothing happened. Granted, I didn't tell them everything, but still.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just...I don't want to see a doctor, because that's going to be a whole big deal...i don't know what's wrong with me, though, if my OCD is just quirky or if I have a serious problem...i notice when I fixate on my current problem (something on my "list of wrongs") I get further from God...Like I cope with the anxiety by distracting myself with TV. And sometimes my issue is serious, sometimes it's not, but I jump from one sin and obsess over it to another... I know God forgives all sin but I worry that He wants me to do something, whether it be confess to someone or something else...and that's where my obsessing is. I don't want ill-gotten gain (my AA degree), but I'm wondering if God wants me to go in and talk to the counselors again or just let it go... I feel like He wants me to go in and talk to them, and I've been so distracted over the last month with my other worries that this faded to the background...also they never got back to me the first time; I waited a month to hear from them, and nothing happened. Granted, I didn't tell them everything, but still.
Maddy,

If it's because you might be embarrassed, or afraid someone you know will find out

I understand

It takes age and wisdom and seeing enough things before one no longer is embarrassed what others might think of them

The serenity prayer, Maddy

Look it up

You are responsible to do what you are responsible to do

You also are an adult so if the DR suggests medication, I would definitely say no and look for another option or get another opinion

But behavioral therapy:
Suggestions to substitute the improper compulsions with better activities (which yes, it sounds like you try to do) might be helpful

I am concerned about you telling your counselors only that you have cheated without telling them that you have an OCD condition that you are trying (and with DR proof) to control

But you say that GOD wants you to tell the counselors. So have you prayed more about it

When I was first converted there was a sin HE just brought to my mind and no matter how I negotiated with HIM, HE wanted me to go to the church and confess this sin. So I did

So yes if HE is directing you in this , bring what happened after you called the school counselor and ask HIM what you should do now

Keep praying
Keep asking

And still. Maybe go see the DR

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maddy3000

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟16,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I ended up getting this in response from the counselor: "I wanted to let you know that my colleague, [name withheld] (who I first referenced with you, regarding any possible disciplinary action) did contact your former and current instructors. As a result of the feedback he received from these instructors, you will not be facing any disciplinary action at this time for the report you made back on January 10th."
That's based on what I said back in January, but I'd left stuff out. So I'm trying to schedule another meeting with her (which might end up being after this quarter ends and I'm officially done at this college) and I asked her what exactly was reported, if a "blanket statement" was made that would cover what I left out anyway...
I just want this all to be over.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. I don't know what they said or what the counselors said to them.

Did you ask the woman if there is anything else that you need to do or that they need from you?

Because it appears that on their side it is over

But from this point forward you need to make sure that you finish the rest of your college education WITHOUT cheating again

Upvote 0

Maddy3000

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟16,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Did you ask the woman if there is anything else that you need to do or that they need from you?

Because it appears that on their side it is over

But from this point forward you need to make sure that you finish the rest of your college education WITHOUT cheating again
I'm meeting with her again because she said I could and I need to make sure they know everything. Also I'm thinking of asking her about ways to deal with my anxiety/OCD...

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm meeting with her again because she said I could and I need to make sure they know everything. Also I'm thinking of asking her about ways to deal with my anxiety/OCD...
I think it's a good idea to ask about your OCD

What else will you tell her?

Upvote 0

Maddy3000

Feb 20, 2017
USA
✟16,155.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think it's a good idea to ask about your OCD

What else will you tell her?
I will add "cheating on tests" to my story, since I left it out. Unless they just ran an inquiry with "cheating in classes" or something like that. If they investigated with a blanket statement, and still let me off the hook, then fine.

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will add "cheating on tests" to my story, since I left it out. Unless they just ran an inquiry with "cheating in classes" or something like that. If they investigated with a blanket statement, and still let me off the hook, then fine.
Maddy

I'm afraid your obsessing over (I don't know how to say it) the outcomes to the resolution of this issue

The "what ifs"?

I not sure if you should go any further but only control (if you can) the future impulses to cheat

I really think you need to let them know that you have this compulsion

They might assign a proctor to you for future exams.

I don't know

But I really think it's the "what ifs" that you are stressing and obsessing over

You have a need to know what they discussed rather than coming out telling them you have OCD and ask for some assistance to get you through the rest of your studies successfully

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maddy,

I'm thinking and praying for you that all things work out for the good

Because you do know that all things work out for the good for those who love GOD and are called according to HIS PURPOSE

So trust that whatever happens GOD will bring about the good

Even if you can't see it right now

I think this is one of the most difficult obstacles that we with OCD suffer

Waiting and not knowing what is before us

But here is the TRUTH

GOD is a launderer and HE purifies us so that our faith (more precious than gold ) will rest entirely in and on HIM in all situations

Once I was very anxious over something I could not control
Until I just got up, gave it to HIM and grew from immature to mature faith

A faith that walks not by sight
Not by what I needed to know and confirm at that very moment

But a faith that says though I do not know where my feet are taking me, I must trust that HE does

I hope this is helpful to you

Upvote 0