Objective morality, can it exist? Sort of....

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I’m not saying there isn’t, I’m just saying we must either believe meaning is ultimately finite and can only be enjoyed in the now and there won’t always be a now to enjoy, like a vapor or there will always be a now to enjoy because of everlasting life(God).

That's a false dichotomy. As far as something can be enjoyed, there will always be a "now", otherwise there would be nothing and no one to enjoy.

The Christian mythos of eternal life in heaven or the resurrection can certainly inspire desperate people with a sense of hope and purpose to help contain the miseries of life, and in that limited way it can be useful spiritually and psychologically. But when Christians start insisting that their mythos is absolute truth, then they are gravely mistaken and that sort of mindset can lead to a great deal of harm. People can and do kill and destroy for their faith in absolutes.

What you see as a vapor or insubstantial I really see in a less negative light. It means the true substance of all our experiences is unborn and undying. How can the concept of annihilation be applied accurately to something like that? The only thing we really lose in death is everything false and transitory about our lives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's a false dichotomy. As far as something can be enjoyed, there will always be a "now", otherwise there would be nothing and no one to enjoy.

If life doesn't last forever, then there won't always be a "now", but at least we can enjoy the "now" right now :)

The Christian mythos of eternal life in heaven or the resurrection can certainly inspire desperate people with a sense of hope and purpose to help contain the miseries of life, and in that limited way it can be useful spiritually and psychologically. But when Christians start insisting that their mythos is absolute truth, then they are gravely mistaken and that sort of mindset can lead to a great deal of harm. People can and do kill and destroy for their faith in absolutes.

Agree.

What you see as a vapor or insubstantial I really see in a less negative light.

I don't see it as insubstantial, on the contrary the vapor is very real and precious right now, but it still won't last forever, at least apart from everlasting life.

It means the true substance of all our experiences is unborn and undying.

I think maybe what you're describing here could be interpreted as God.

How can the concept of annihilation be applied accurately to something like that? The only thing we really lose in death is everything false and transitory about our lives.

I sure hope something beautiful(and appreciation of that beauty) lives on beyond my death and even the possible extinction of human consciousness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0