provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't believe my question was addressed, so I'll rephrase.

How can any denomination today prove that they have preserved the original thoughts, prayers, meditations, feelings and responses to the faith that the very first apostolic Christians and early church founders experienced?

Is history not one long telephone game spanning hundreds upon hundreds of years? How could any denomination prove they hold the origin of the principals of the faith? How could this be proved?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

How can any denomination today prove that they have preserved the original thoughts, prayers, meditations, feelings and responses to the faith that the very first apostolic Christians and early church founders experienced?

Is history not one long telephone game spanning hundreds upon hundreds of years? How could any denomination prove they hold the origin of the principals of the faith? How could this be proved?
The Scriptures are the authority, they being God's revelation from the beginning.

Anyone holding to all of them in agreement with the whole counsel of God is holding to the origin of the principles of the faith.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

While we are not a denomination, the Catholic Church has an almost 2000 year history. We still have many of the writings of the early Church Fathers. Eventually the Catholic Church compiled the Bible in a centuries long process which ended in the late 300s, and in European Christianity all Bible contains those same 73 books in the same order for almost one thousand years. In earthly terms that's very strong evidence.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
While we are not a denomination, the Catholic Church has an almost 2000 year history. We still have many of the writings of the early Church Fathers. Eventually the Catholic Church compiled the Bible in a centuries long process which ended in the late 300s, and in European Christianity all Bible contains those same 73 books in the same order for almost one thousand years. In earthly terms that's very strong evidence.

Of course, I believe that others can provide compelling evidence such as you have. For example, the EOC definitely has historic lineage. It is truly tragic that your branch of Christianity schismed from the true, catholic church.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Of course, I believe that others can provide compelling evidence such as you have. For example, the EOC definitely has historic lineage. It is truly tragic that your branch of Christianity schismed from the true, catholic church.
A number of eastern churches have reunited and recognize the pope. Sad, yes, but wonderfully Jesus in the Holy Eucharist is a holy gift that we still share.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A number of eastern churches have reunited and recognize the pope. Sad, yes, but wonderfully Jesus in the Holy Eucharist is a holy gift that we still share.

Numerically, they are a drop in the bucket, much on the order of the widely-publicized defection of Anglican clergy to Rome. The reality is that, despite all of the various challenges, both the Anglican communion and the EOC are more than holding their own. I am not the one to judge the veracity of their claims to true catholicity.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We still have many of the writings of the early Church Fathers

The issue isn't that you've retained original documents, the issue is who is able to rightly decide the meanings and interpretations of such documents. To this day.

• Agree
Reactions: bmjackson
Upvote 0