United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Where and when to ‘reprove’.

There is strong reasoning to both sides of the permissiveness of this presence, wherever it is found speaking up for wrongdoing and open faults, usually brought to the flock’s attention by the ‘watchers on the wall’. Not at all hard to perceive,

Is it the mark of a hireling to avoid the negative report, or, a distraction from the contentious watchman?

And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

Or, should the initial be the presiding alarm,

If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.

Is the best edification towards the Church achieved in a case-by-case or by the letter?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Case by case -

This is critical.

See 1 Cor 4:

"...to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

You will notice praise comes from genuine release when folks withdraw judgement waiting for the Spirit to bring conviction.

Churches that fail to follow this directive lack praise. They are bound with human judgement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟986,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Case by case -

This is critical.

See 1 Cor 4:

"...to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. 4For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 5Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, but wait until the Lord comes who will both bring to light the things hidden in the darkness and disclose the motives of men’s hearts; and then each man’s praise will come to him from God.

You will notice praise comes from genuine release when folks withdraw judgement waiting for the Spirit to bring conviction.

Churches that fail to follow this directive lack praise. The are bound with human judgement.
Admittedly, and good morning sir! I reflected on what you brought up for a time. And this is a first for me Carl, the NIV, KJV, others take quite a bit different track by saying, ‘judge nothing’, wherein those such as the NASB speak of it’s continuation rather than that judgement’s completeness,

Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, , “

You surely know where I am going with that, as though to fall in line with your closing point. If that remains intact, then those faults that are of the heaviest degree would still be subject to Church oversight,

Are you not to judge those inside? (1 Corinthians 5:12)

I trust that this doesn’t in your thinking, disrupt that praise?

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟151,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Cor, 6 Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts? Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more matters of this life? So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church? I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not among you one wise man who will be able to decide between his brethren, but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers?

Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

In Christ

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Admittedly, and good morning sir! I reflected on what you brought up for a time. And this is a first for me Carl, the NIV, KJV, others take quite a bit different track by saying, ‘judge nothing’, wherein those such as the NASB speak of it’s continuation rather than that judgement’s completeness,

Therefore do not go on passing judgment before the time, , “

You surely know where I am going with that, as though to fall in line with your closing point. If that remains intact, then those faults that are of the heaviest degree would still be subject to Church oversight,

Yes... that phrase in context - make no judgements with human judgement but wait for Him to speak by the Spirit to discern a matter.

Then the Word will be received - release will come - Praise will ring out !!!

How often this does not happen - folks look for inspired judgement - uninspired words are given - folks are not released.

Is this a cultural failing - always needing an answer and not waiting for Him to speak?

In South America Pastors pray and fast for days waiting on a Word.

Our 'Christian' culture seems to demand answers now and move on.

I have only known one brother who you would end up kneeling together with to seek God's grace on a matter.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,528.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is a very important area that will set the tone of the whole church.

Firstly - the 'least' should be heard.

Secondly wait for unity among elders - not consensus.

Thirdly present conclusions in Love and humility - not lording it over.

This will help to grow a healthy church culture.

• Agree
Reactions: rocknanchor
Upvote 0