• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Obesity/Binge Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I was wondering if there are any binge eaters who struggle with obesity here. I am feeling like I don't belong here for some reason. All the posts are about how people don't eat, or purge and keep losing weight. I just binge and weigh over 300 pounds. I feel so all alone. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is? I go to church every week and there are cookies out for people to snack on. I want them all. It is torture. Ever go to a church potluck and wonder if people are watching what you put on your plate because you want to try everything being offered?

I just feel like crying right now. :cry:

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sweetheart do not compare yourself to anyone. ED is all the same pain and hardship, no matter what kind of symptoms you have. :hug:

traci_giving_bunny_big_hug_md_wht.gif
your turn to be the bunny!

Upvote 0
S

sweetmercy

Absolutely. I've struggled with this for a long time. Sometimes I turn to food for comfort, and other times as a means of punishing myself when I feel shameful and worthless. Like, I think I don't deserve to look good, so I purposely try to make myself fat. I've been in counselling for it, but its gonna be a long road. I'm not obese yet, just a little overweight, but if I don't nip this in the bud while I'm still young, I'll end up that way!

So, yeah, I definately feel your pain, Madison.:(
Jen

Upvote 0

mikef14020

Apr 4, 2005
New York
✟746.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am over three hundred pounds more than likely because I binge eat, I really don't try dieting because it never works. I probaly am addicted to the chemicals they put in the foods but eh, its life I guess. I pray for God's help and strength in keeping my eating habits in tact, and it has been working everyday, bless him. Its awesome when I used to eat the hamburgers and fries at school and now have cut the fries and switched the hamburger for Tuna. I even eat less at work which is a shock seeing as I work at Kentucky Fried Chicken, and I get free food because I am a supervisor. Those new snackers are awesome, and very tempting I ate three today, which was my own fault. I am such a glutton sometime. I am hoping I get over this gluttony sin, and actually want to become a vegan some day eating only natural food.

Upvote 0

PromiseSeeker

You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine........
Feb 23, 2005
✟1,142.00
Faith
Baptist
Madison~

My heart goes out to you..... of course you fit in here. Being over or underweight has something to do (most of the time) with an eating disorder of some sort.

I hope that you continue to share your feelings with us.

Hang in there. Pray that God will help you with those temptations at church or anywhere else.

I know it's hard, but you're worth it!!

Upvote 0

kellyc

Mar 23, 2005
✟8,839.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

FunkyBrother

Apr 7, 2005
Oldham
Visit site
✟8,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bulimia and Obesity are most commonly a symptom of dehydration.

You're not hungry, you are thirsty. The thirst and hunger symptoms are almost the same. So people mistake hunger for dehydration. They only presume they are thirsty when they get a dry mouth, which is a BIG MISTAKE!!!

Dry mouth is one of the very last indicators of dehydration of the body. By the time dry mouth becomes an indicator of water shortage, many delicate functions of the body have been shut down and prepared for deletion. This is exactly how the ageing process is established – through a loss of enzyme functions. A dehydrated body loses sophistication and versatility. One example is juvenile diabetes, in which the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas are sacrificed as a result of persistent dehydration.

Thinking that tea, coffee, alcohol, and manufactured beverages can substitute for the pure natural water needs of the body is an elementary mistake, particularly in a body that is stressed by confronting daily problems. It is true that these beverages contain water, but most of them also contain dehydrating substances, such as caffeine. These substances rid the body of the water they are dissolved in, plus the additional water from the body’s reserves. When you drink coffee, tea, or even a beer, your body gets rid of more water than is contained in the drink. If you measure your urine volume after the beverage is taken, you will see that you have passed more urine than the volume of the drink. Another way the body loses water after drinking hot beverages is through perspiration from the pores of the skin to cool the body that has been warmed from the inside.

All water will do.

Get a book by Dr Batmanghelidj (the world’s number one water expert) I’m researching for a book at the moment and his book “Water & Salt Your Healers From Within” is my favourite of his.

Do his water cure programme.

Upvote 0

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks everyone. I was doing well with my eating, not bingeing, or overeating. Tonight I was upset about a problem I am having with my daughter, and feeling abandoned, and I bought ice cream and hot fudge sauce. I didn't binge on it, just had a bowl of it.

Thanks for hte support. I don't isolate. I am very busy, and try to go to OA, but haven't been there in a while.

Hugs,
madison

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iron Sun 254

Insane Genius
Aug 23, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Visit site
✟20,473.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to binge often whenever I was feeling sad. I topped off at around 330 but I had a doctor tell me there was direct evidence that I was heading for diabetes and that scared me to death. I've never been thin in my life but I'm now about 270 and I want to live so I'm forcing myself to "be good" though it's so hard at times. Eating is an addiction like no other because everything else is stuff that you don't need to do to survive.

Upvote 0

WhereareyouGod?

Nov 7, 2004
Hertfordshire, England
Visit site
✟15,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bubbles06 said:
Umm.. what exactly is binging? Like eating and eating and not knowing when to stop? Is this a really dumb question to ask?

Binging is indeed eating and eating but it is not necessarily not knowing when to stop it is just eating trying to fill a void in your life with food.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RedneckAnglican

Once again...the Outsyder...
Feb 5, 2005
San Antonio, Texas
Visit site
✟20,899.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
madison1101 said:
I was wondering if there are any binge eaters who struggle with obesity here. I am feeling like I don't belong here for some reason. All the posts are about how people don't eat, or purge and keep losing weight. I just binge and weigh over 300 pounds. I feel so all alone. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is? I go to church every week and there are cookies out for people to snack on. I want them all. It is torture. Ever go to a church potluck and wonder if people are watching what you put on your plate because you want to try everything being offered?

I just feel like crying right now. :cry:

Addiction is Addiction is addiction...I learned that from AA (I tried going to OA, but in this town the only OA is more like weight watchers)...I understand...I still binge about once a week...sometimes more...not like I used to...still working on some issues...you are not alone...you are NEVER alone...I TOTALLY understand about the church potlucks...I HATE eating in front of people...it's like thier watching to see what or how much you eat because I am enormus (355 lbs)...I was 397 so I guess I'm doing something right...anyway...you are not alone...none of us are...

Upvote 0

Dawn Marie

Soda for Wine
Oct 27, 2002
Ontario
✟19,684.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
I don't think I'm obese, but I definitely am overweight. I eat when I'm bored or stressed. I'll eat a plate of something, get up and grab another plate of something else. I almost never feel full.

But I'm working on stopping myself. And trying to exercise more as well.

Upvote 0

ames61

May 2, 2005
✟190.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Madison,
I'm where you are, or getting there pretty quickly. I was anorexic until I got married and started trying to get pregnant, at which point I started binge eating and overeating and went from 116 to about 280 now. That's like 2 1/2 of me. :( Sometimes its so depressing. I don't look in mirrors ever, and if I accidently catch a glimpse of myself it throws me into a tail spin. Everyone thinks I am such an "up" person, I feel like the caricature of the jolly fat person. Shopping is a nightmare. Never get through that without tears.
Anyway, you are not alone, and you will be in my prayers tonight. God bless you.

In Christ,
amy

Upvote 0

ames61

May 2, 2005
✟190.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
RedneckLutheran said:
I TOTALLY understand about the church potlucks...I HATE eating in front of people...it's like thier watching to see what or how much you eat because I am enormus (355 lbs)...I was 397 so I guess I'm doing something right...anyway...you are not alone...none of us are...
I hate eating in front of people too. . .

But---great job on 42 lbs down!!!! Keep it up!

Iron Sun--congrats to you too!

Blessings
Amy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.