NeTrips

Apr 20, 2007
✟9,125.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Barack Obama criticised over 'cult-like' rallies

For many it is simply a sign of his charisma. But for a growing number of Barack Obama sceptics, there is something disturbing about the adulation with which the senator and Democratic presidential frontrunner is greeted as he campaigns for the White House - unnervingly akin to the hysteria of a cult, or the fervour of a religious revival.

Thousands wait in line to see him wherever he stops. Members of the audience have taken to rushing the stage during campaign rallies, forcing the public-address announcer to plead with them to back off.

And when Mr Obama eventually takes the platform to rhythmic chants of his mantra-like slogan, "Yes we can, yes we can!" fans swoon with euphoria.

Now critics are quietly voicing the fear that Mr Obama and his campaign have deliberately adopted the tone and tactics of an evangelical preacher, whipping up "Obamamania" at the expense of more serious discussion of policy and government.
"The message is becoming dangerously self-referential," he wrote in Time magazine. "The Obama campaign all too often is about how wonderful the Obama campaign is."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/02/23/wUS123.xml

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I see similarities between this a JFK's campaign, although back then the press wasn't so sensationalized and mudslinging wasn't quite the art form it is today. And I expect to see more and more of this kind of stuff because it's what the people seem to want to hear.

I don't see anything "cult" like about this, just a lot of enthusiasm.

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
desperation is in the air when a candidate is attacked for having a lot of enthusiastic support, especially considering that experts have determined that Obama talks as much about policy as any other candidate.

The problem isn't that Obama lacks the policy discussion- its that the other candidates are jealous that they lack inspiration. So they attack the inspiration. They attack the crowds. They attack the millions who have voted for the man as ignorant and delusional. Its not a good tactic, and its a sign of desperation when you're attacking the voters for a person who has gotten the most votes in this primary season of any candidate.

Upvote 0

ashibaka

ShiiAce
Jun 15, 2002
Visit site
✟9,047.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
the thing is though, that it hasn't been, at least not that I've seen in print....
Then I'll put it in print for you: Hillary Clinton supporters are cultlike. They have a totally unsubstantiated faith in a losing candidate and they obsess over defending her secretive cult of personality. To continue to support such vicious attacks on her part is an evidence of irrationality.

I'm not being serious. Only wanted to remind you that just because some random guy says it doesn't make it true :)

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jonah Goldberg has a good take at what is going on at Obama rallies here. It is at the end of the interview.

Considering Obama's associations--Rev. Wright, Nation of Islam, Dorothy Tillman, Raila Odinga, Bill Ayers--it is understandable he speaks in platitudes and refuses to discuss issues and his background. Not unusual for such a speaker to gather a crowd either as Goldberg relates above. By using the same vacuous rhetoric David Axelrod wrote for Deval Patrick, Obama and Axelrod apparently think Obama will slip into the Oval Office without anyone noticing his baggage.

But they will. And are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Jonah Goldberg has a good take at what is going on at Obama rallies here. It is at the end of the interview.

Considering Obama's associations--Rev. Wright, Nation of Islam, Dorothy Tillman, Raila Odinga, Bill Ayers--it is understandable he speaks in platitudes and refuses to discuss issues and his background. Not unusual for such a speaker to gather a crowd either as Goldberg relates above. By using the same vacuous rhetoric David Axelrod wrote for Deval Patrick, Obama and Axelrod apparently think Obama will slip into the Oval Office without anyone noticing his baggage.

But they will. And are.

So Voegelin, who's your candidate?

Upvote 0

ImmortalTechnique

Senior Veteran
May 10, 2005
✟15,270.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I find it hysterical that even Hillary has turned to mocking obama. He's due for a good cry anytime now.

don't count on it. When the attacks are as hysterical and ludicrous as the ones being leveled by the right and their new-found ally Hillary Clinton, you just stay cool and remain looking Presidential as the rest flail themselves out of a job.

Upvote 0