Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm curious.

Who (....) cares?

HELLO "CONSERVATIVES" THERE ARE ACTUAL ISSUES OUT THERE. THINGS THAT ACTUALLY MATTER TO THE WELFARE AND FUTURE OF THIS NATION.

TRY BEING A LITTLE LESS ANTI-DEMOCRAT AND A LITTLE MORE PRO-AMERICAN.

IGNORE THE LITTLE ISSUE AND GO FOR THE BIG ONES, THE ONES THAT MATTER.

Or just keep being a joke politically.

Your choice.

Reactions: Risen Tree
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If Mao isn't being honored on this tree, then why is he there? When you put an ornament on a tree, you honor what that ornament represents. And while he had staffers put it on there in all likelihood, and he might not even know about it, the proper response would be to have it taken down - after all, I wouldn't put Pinochet put on my tree, because what's on my tree represents my values. If either Bush had a Pinochet ornament on their trees, with or without their knowledge, would there not have been an outcry from the left about that? Also, I'm not sure Obama's in the dark about this, he hired someone with a controversial reputation to do his "Holiday" decorations.

Personally, I have better things to worry about than whether or not Mao appears on a Christmas tree decoration.

But that's just me.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
If Mao isn't being honored on this tree, then why is he there? When you put an ornament on a tree, you honor what that ornament represents. And while he had staffers put it on there in all likelihood, and he might not even know about it, the proper response would be to have it taken down - after all, I wouldn't put Pinochet put on my tree, because what's on my tree represents my values. If either Bush had a Pinochet ornament on their trees, with or without their knowledge, would there not have been an outcry from the left about that? Also, I'm not sure Obama's in the dark about this, he hired someone with a controversial reputation to do his "Holiday" decorations.

That is the point, there wouldn't be an outcry from the left because the left isn't as seeped in this mindless manufactured outrage that is tantamount to a new wave Archie Bunker mentality.

George Bush recommended to Rove to read Mao's biography, did the left have a heart attack? (now just imagine if Obama did)
John McCain quoted Mao on the campaign trail, did the left have a heart attack? (now just imagine if Obama did)

I tell you this kind of anti-intellectual modern "commie pinko" rhetoric that we used to see in the 60s is why conservatives are leaving the right in droves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If either Bush had a Pinochet ornament on their trees, with or without their knowledge, would there not have been an outcry from the left about that?

Imagine someone putting a swastika on a dreidel and then saying it didn't matter. A dreidel is just a top. Pagans had tops. Swastikas were found in pagan Rome and Greece and in eastern religions. There was no intent to send any particular message by putting a swastika on a dreidel.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Many Libertarians and Democrats don't get it. They don't understand why this is important. Let me quote a Democrat to explain why conservatives see these things as having importance:

The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics, that determines the success of a society. The central liberal truth is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself--

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Degrade the culture, mock traditions people hold dear and society collapses. Don't go to the Cabaret. It is ugly and it leads to unbelievable ugliness.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Stressing out about Obama supposedly having Mao on a Christmas ornament is "changing the culture"?

You're right. I don't "get it". It seems like pettiness and manufacturing outrage to me.
Ringo

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
If Mao isn't being honored on this tree, then why is he there? When you put an ornament on a tree, you honor what that ornament represents.

Nope. If I'm decorating a Christmas tree, I'll put little plastic balls and tinsel and fairy lights on it. I'm not sure what they represent, but I'm not honouring anything by putting them on a tree. They just look aesthetically pleasing to me.

David.

Upvote 0

Voegelin

Reactionary
Aug 18, 2003
Connecticut
✟26,726.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The point is I, and like most Americans, can careless what people chose to put on their Christmas trees.

It is not Obama's tree. The White House is not his house. He, Michelle and their friends can go upstairs to the residence and demean the holiday to their heart's content if they wish. In private.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Noooo, guys! You're missing the point! It doesn't matter what anyone else put's on their trees, only what Obama puts on his! You see, we don't like him, so if he does ANYTHING (Even if he doesn't ;)) that is a little bit disagreeable, we have to pounce on it! That's how politics work. :D :D :) :D :) :D

Seriously, though. Honestly. Come on. THEY'RE BAUBELS ON A CHRISTMAS TREE. Not important.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
I've seen people put bears on christmas trees. Does that demean christmas? I don't think bears have anything to do with christmas.

I don't think most of the things people traditionally put on trees have anything to do with Christmas per se. Indeed, the trees themselves don't have anything to do with Christmas.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
If Mao isn't being honored on this tree, then why is he there?

I have a reindeer on my Christmas, does that mean I homour reindeer.

The rightwing mindset endlessly serves up lols to the rest of us.

The Mao figure appears to be a Warhol screen print, perhaps they are honouring Andy Warhol rather than Mao :D

As to people who want to see Jesus on a Christmas tree, why would you put Jesus on a pagan symbol of rebirth like an evergreen tree?

When you put an ornament on a tree, you honor what that ornament represents.

What a bizarro world you live in. I, apparently, honour reindeer, snowmen and father Christmas, and I never even knew :D

And it was a Christmas fool to draw in gullible rightwingers so the rest of us could point and laugh any way.

Consider yourself pointed at and laughed at

Upvote 0
R

reverend C

Why didn't you just say that you think that the american people are too stupid to agree with you politically and leave it to that?

because that's not what the post says. it says they're too stupid to defend themselves against unscrupulous manipulators, regardless of party. it just so happens that the right has made that an operating priority. not that the left is immune, but they aren't quite as dedicated to the entire concept. my point is if they are going to remain competitive, they will have to become as hopelessly unethical as their opponents. the only other option is the historical one, which is waiting until the suppression of the common man becomes so acute that the whole thing becomes a powder keg where the oppressed masses push back directly, rather than through political action.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If Mao isn't being honored on this tree, then why is he there?
Did you look at it? Did you see it? The stuff painted on his face was not exactly honoring him unless you have a really bizarre notion of honor. Even putting him on a Christmas ball seems more of a mocking than an honoring.

Many Libertarians and Democrats don't get it. They don't understand why this is important. Let me quote a Democrat to explain why conservatives see these things as having importance:

The central conservative truth is that it is culture, not politics, that determines the success of a society. The central liberal truth is that politics can change a culture and save it from itself--

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Degrade the culture, mock traditions people hold dear and society collapses. Don't go to the Cabaret. It is ugly and it leads to unbelievable ugliness.
I think the ornament is an ironic reference to certain rabid right wingers use of "Obamao" and other foolishness about Mao - it's part of the political culture of 2009 - thanks to those people.

Upvote 0
J

jamesrwright3

Stressing out about Obama supposedly having Mao on a Christmas ornament is "changing the culture"?

You're right. I don't "get it". It seems like pettiness and manufacturing outrage to me.
Ringo

It is just weird and unthinkable to have a non-Christian communist murderer of millions on a Christmas ornament. That is giving tacit approval of Mao's actions.

Upvote 0