Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
But how does Obamacare feed into your increase? It hasn't gone into affect yet.
Perhaps you missed the chart I posted earlier which shows that some Obamacare taxes have already gone into effect.

obamacare-taxes.jpg

A bigger tax jump goes into effect next year and each year after ...

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But how does Obamacare feed into your increase? It hasn't gone into affect yet.

Obamacare was also behind his January 1st decree about pain medicine and pain clinics. Many of the States have already complied to add the red tape (FL did so July 1st).... now MDs are NOT writing pain medicine scripts at all.. because Obama requires a detailed comprehensive questionaire and urine testing for EACH prescription! Pain patients are suffering without the medication. Pain clinics are overwhelmed, and insurance companies are refusing to authorize pain doctors. Go figure.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obamacare was also behind his January 1st decree about pain medicine and pain clinics. Many of the States have already complied to add the red tape (FL did so July 1st).... now MDs are NOT writing pain medicine scripts at all.. because Obama requires a detailed comprehensive questionaire and urine testing for EACH prescription! Pain patients are suffering without the medication. Pain clinics are overwhelmed, and insurance companies are refusing to authorize pain doctors. Go figure.

Got a link for that?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm living it. My DIL in AL is living it. Others I've met on the web are living it.

FL, GA, SC, WA, KY, VA or WVA, TN too I think have already cracked down...

it's under the guise of pain clinic pill mills (which the government and the State's failed to watch, so now legitimate pain patients are suffering).

This might address it, though, the big plan went into effect Jan 1 2012 http://townhall.com/columnists/jaco...wn_on_opioid_prescriptions_will_hurt_patients

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I posted about this earlier. My portion of the premium for myself and my wife will increase about 4% next year. My copay/deductible profile is the same as 2012. Some benefits have increased in line with ACA (lifetime limit removed; no co-pays for certain preventive services.) So no complaints from me. So far.

But in principle, why shouldn't cost-sharing be expected? Insurance should not be first-dollar coverage for every conceivable health need. One reason why our medical expenses are high is because Americans are conditioned to think insurance will pay for almost everything. We've been isolated from what our care actually costs. The proper purpose of any insurance--health included--is protection from catastrophic loss. People should be responsible for their initial health expenses themselves, up to a reasonable point. This keeps insurance costs low, and it encourages responsible money management. If you know you will have out-of-pocket-costs, you should budget to have the funds available. Not to mention that whenever possible, you'll shop around for the best value when you buy something yourself. Conservatives especially should be on-board with this.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm living it. My DIL in AL is living it. Others I've met on the web are living it.

FL, GA, SC, WA, KY, VA or WVA, TN too I think have already cracked down...

it's under the guise of pain clinic pill mills (which the government and the State's failed to watch, so now legitimate pain patients are suffering).

This might address it, though, the big plan went into effect Jan 1 2012 Drug Control vs. Pain Control: A Crackdown on Opioid Prescriptions Will Hurt Patients - Jacob Sullum - Page 1
That seems more a result of the War on Drugs than Obamacare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

utdbear

Catalina Wine Mixer....POW!
Jul 6, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟4,578.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks to Obamacare, even employers will save money. Like the woman in Florida who's 59 and has a pre-existing (cancer) condition. Her premium is over $1,500 per month for herself and one employee. However, she will qualify for a little-known new program called the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan that will kick-in in six months. In Florida, the PCIP's monthly premiums range from $376 to $505 per month. Even at the top-end, when she includes her employee, her premium will still be almost half than what she now pays.

Larger companies will benefit even more from Obamacare, because they will be able to buy insurance in bulk at a greater savings.

Companies with 50-plus employees will be required to provide healthcare options. Now, does that mean that the employer will have to pay entire premiums? No. They provide healthcare options by way of the company's bulk rate. The employer may opt to pay a percentage of employees' premium, or just pay for administering the program (which means hiring an employee to manage the same). I would think employers would be happy to provide a way for their employees to insure themselves and their families. But, based on the complaints, maybe not.

I just enrolled in my benefits for the year. My PPO(from my company) last year was $3,900 per year for the family, with a $250 individual deductible and $500 family deductible in network. $2,500 out of pocket max.

This year the premium is $9,000, deductible is $750 indiv./$1,500 family and out of pocket max. Oh and sick visits are subject to the deductible now, where there was a $20 copay the time before.

Please explain how I and my family are better for this.

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just enrolled in my benefits for the year. My PPO(from my company) last year was $3,900 per year for the family, with a $250 individual deductible and $500 family deductible in network. $2,500 out of pocket max.

This year the premium is $9,000, deductible is $750 indiv./$1,500 family and out of pocket max. Oh and sick visits are subject to the deductible now, where there was a $20 copay the time before.

Please explain how I and my family are better for this.

Your increases would've happened regardless, that's the point of Obamacare -- "affordable healthcare." $9000 doesn't sound affordable to me. Do your assessment again once Obamacare kicks in for employers in 2014.

Upvote 0

Mr. Pedantic

Jul 13, 2011
Auckland
✟9,178.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I thought the cost increases were because the healthcare reform is adding money to preventive medicine programs, but it still has to cover the cost of all the people who already have health conditions. So my understanding of this was, it'll get cheaper, but it will take decades to get there.

Upvote 0