JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
""[It]'s been funny to watch some of these politicians completely rewrite history now that you're back on your feet. These are the folks who said if we went forward with our plan to rescue Detroit, "You can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye." Now they're saying they were right all along. Or worse, they're saying that the problem is that you, the workers, made out like bandits in all of this; that saving the American auto industry was just about paying back unions. Really? Even by the standards of this town, that's a load of you-know-what. About 700,000 retirees saw a reduction in the health care benefits they had earned. Many of you saw hours reduced, or pay and wages scaled back. You gave up some of your rights as workers. Promises were made to you over the years that you gave up for the sake and survival of this industry, its workers, and their families. You want to talk about values? Hard work -- that's a value. Looking out for one another -- that's a value. The idea that we're all in it together -- that I am my brother's keeper; I am my sister's keeper -- that is a value. But they're still talking about you as if you're some greedy special interest that needs to be beaten. Since when are hardworking men and women special interests? Since when is the idea that we look out for each other a bad thing? To borrow a line from our old friend Ted Kennedy: What is it about working men and women they find so offensive?""

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
....more:

"With the economy in complete free-fall, there weren&#8217;t any private companies or investors willing to take a chance on the auto industry. Anyone in the financial sector could tell you that. (<---except Mitt Romney)

So we could have kept giving billions of taxpayer dollars to the automakers without demanding real change (<---as structured under Bush)

"....or accountability in return (<---that Gov'mnt take over we hear about Obama)

" ... The other option we had was to do nothing, and allow these companies to fail. In fact, some politicians said we should. Some even said we should &#8220;let Detroit go bankrupt.&#8221; (<--as per Romney and as far as I know every single GOP politician)

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Obama is President today because the people of Michigan and Florida weren't allowed to have their votes counted during the presidential primaries of 2008. Everyone conveniently forgets this.

Full voting rights restored to Florida and Michigan

"...The move, which had been sought by former presidential candidate Hillary Clinton since shortly after the primary season began, was endorsed by presumptive nominee Barack Obama last month."​

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"About 700,000 retirees saw a reduction in the health care benefits they had earned. Many of you saw hours reduced, or pay and wages scaled back. You gave up some of your rights as workers. Promises were made to you over the years that you gave up for the sake and survival of this industry, its workers, and their families"

Now there's an example of Obama's record that he can run on. I'll bet when auto workers voter for Obama the first time around they didn't know that's what he meant by Hope and Change.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
"About 700,000 retirees saw a reduction in the health care benefits they had earned. Many of you saw hours reduced, or pay and wages scaled back. You gave up some of your rights as workers. Promises were made to you over the years that you gave up for the sake and survival of this industry, its workers, and their families"

Now there's an example of Obama's record that he can run on. I'll bet when auto workers voter for Obama the first time around they didn't know that's what he meant by Hope and Change.

Sorry, concessions is part of give and take when it comes to union negotiations transpiring well before Obama's redressing managements restructuring plans. In fact, from the time of outsourcing they have constantly conceded benefits and pay.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sorry, concessions is part of give and take when it comes to union negotiations transpiring well before Obama's redressing managements restructuring plans. In fact, from the time of outsourcing they have constantly conceded benefits and pay.
Maybe if he doesn't use that as a campaign slogan, his opponent will.

Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
Maybe if he doesn't use that as a campaign slogan, his opponent will.

I don't think any of his potential opponents would want to raise the auto industry as an issue seeing if they had their way there wouldn't be much of a US based auto industry left.

They can try, and it would be red meat for a narrow niche of that same mind set, but a losing proposition given the general voting public.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think any of his potential opponents would want to raise the auto industry as an issue seeing if they had their way there wouldn't be much of a US based auto industry left.

They can try, and it would be red meat for a narrow niche of that same mind set, but a losing proposition given the general voting public.
If his opponents had their way, we'd still have the US based auto industry, but we'd also still have the billions we lost bailing them out only so they could file bankruptcy anyway

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status