Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics have traditionally been told they need to have everything interpreted for them...

That is a real problem. This forum is clogged up with link after link talking about what the Pope said, but threads that are started with the Pope's statement's in full without editorializing are quite rare. Maybe we could all work together to improve the quality of linked content? It really doesn't matter what the Post or the Times or either of the NCRs or Father Z or some liberal Nun thinks the Pope meant, it matters what he said and did.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are so many things wrong with this thread. It's hard to know where to start. Catholics do NOT need things interpreted for them. We can read exactly what the Pope says. We can understand the written word. Media spin gets it wrong 99% of the time. Their job is circulation, whether it's a web page or newspaper or magazine or air time.
The Pope has been very plain in his statements. People hoping for sweeping change spin it to their point of view. It's ridiculous. I would like one person to cite one statement that points to this sweeping change.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Catholics do NOT need things interpreted for them. We can read exactly what the Pope says. We can understand the written world.

Well, we are to affirm the Church's official Scriptual interpretations, not our own. I agree with you that we can read what the Pope says on our own, that's why I made the suggestion that his words be posted in full and made into threads rather than starting threads linked to articles or blogposts that exist primarily as clickbait.

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
That is a real problem. This forum is clogged up with link after link talking about what the Pope said, but threads that are started with the Pope's statement's in full without editorializing are quite rare. Maybe we could all work together to improve the quality of linked content? It really doesn't matter what the Post or the Times or either of the NCRs or Father Z or some liberal Nun thinks the Pope meant, it matters what he said and did.

A good idea.
I think quoting direct translations of what the pope said, with an article linked for citation, would be much better than quoting what an article thinks the pope means.

While I hope it would encourage debate between members on the subjects on which he is quoted on, and on what exactly the pope meant; I can't help but feel a lot of threads would have a notable number of members doubting the translation instead.

Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟937,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we are to affirm the Church's official Scriptual interpretations, not our own. I agree with you that we can read what the Pope says on our own, that's why I made the suggestion that his words be posted in full and made into threads rather than starting threads linked to articles or blogposts that exist primarily as clickbait.
100% agree about his actual statements.

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
A good idea.
I think quoting direct translations of what the pope said, with an article linked for citation, would be much better than quoting what an article thinks the pope means.

While I would not be able to replace official translations, I am at the Angelus every Sunday. I could try and supply my own translations and observations. That would definitely help me with my Italian as well (my proficiency-exam is tomorrow, by the way).

But maybe some of us take the Pope's words at face value.

And maybe some of us agree with the media's interpretation--and it's not as if his actual words aren't listed most of the time.

I have had Cardinal Pell of Sydney - one of the eight members of the Pope's personal council - personally tell me that the libral leaning media does, in fact, misrepresent the Pope's words and intentions. He also told us that Pope Francis has no intention to change any doctrine or long-standing tradition (e.g. priestly celibacy). The media does claim that Francis is planning such changes; allora, unless Pope Francis has made a very poor choice in advisors, you may want to stop playing Psychologist and telling everybody about what's psychologically healthy for the people who have reservations. I make no secret of the fact that I disagree with the Pope on two philosophical issues: I believe he sometimes espouses a duel-sphere theory regarding religion and the public-square, and I doubt his method regarding resisting the redefinition of marriage; but then, I also made no secret of the fact that I disagree with Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth, Part 1 in at least three places.

I am faithful to the Holy Father, as are most traditionally-minded individuals. I've been very proud, overall, on how traditionalists have taken the Pope's surprising style. They have largely responded with ''this is challenging for me, but I'll still try and synthesize it with what I believe and do. One example is Dr. Jeff Mirus, who runs Catholicculture.org:
The Pope’s interview is a challenge to everyone—including me! - Catholic Culture

The willingness to synthesize Francis' thoughts and actions into the traditionalist's own is in stark contrast to the majority of left-leaning Catholics' approach to Benedict. I very, very rarely saw any ''liberal'' source give him any mind at all, unless they thought they could make him say what they wanted; remember when ''Light of the World'' came out, and they were all reporting on imminent change in the Church's teaching on contraception? So, why is it surprising that the same thing happens with Francis?

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
While I would not be able to replace official translations, I am at the Angelus every Sunday. I could try and supply my own translations and observations. That would definitely help me with my Italian as well (my proficiency-exam is tomorrow, by the way).
Hmm, sounds like an interesting idea.
It's up to you, but I certainly wouldn't mind.:)

Oh, and good luck.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums