Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Testing a vocation to belong with a Religious Order certainly is not for the for the faint-hearted. It takes longer and is often far tougher than the testing for a priestly vocation. Religious Orders come in a wide variety as the core of both being professed [taking vows for life] and living under a rule of/for life are lived out. The first step is to talk at length with a Spiritual Director and to undertake some retreats at a variety of orders guesthouses. Once a sense of vocation begins to emerge you can begin to make contact with the order you have a sense of calling with. IF the Novice Gaurdian and other sisters sense you MIGHT belong with them you spend time as an Aspirant - one who aspires towards and asks questions. It is during this stage many choose not to take things further or perhaps seek with the help of another Order that may be a better match. Only when there is a clear sense of calling to a religious life discerned can a person be admitted as a postulent and live with an order. It can take 10 years or so from admission as a postulent to taking life vows. From experience you do not escape the world by living with even an enclosed order of Sisters. Imagine being stuck in some surreal world where you have to love and share the last bit of jam with the most irritating member of your church 24/7 and you will understand its far from easy! Someday's I can be heard to say parts of my rule through gritted teeth.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
** Most orders will NOT accept people in debt untill they have cleared their debt. To be in debt is to be owned by money and that is in dissonance to the purpose of taking a vow of voluntary poverty. That means you choose the freedom of poverty which is not the same as being in debt.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure how serious my friend is but I'm sure you can't just go an join a convent just like that. As with everything in the RCC there's probably a lot of ritual and process you need to go through. Well she has gone to the Vatican this week so maybe she is going to ask the higher ups there or something. I don't know.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To me it sound like your friend be "venting"...very few go to be a nun or sister.
I said the same thing after suffering a few broken hearts before I found the man I'm married to.
I went as far as learning their ways, taking on Catholic ways/ church etc... it was all for nothing because no matter how many times my heart got broken over some guy who didn't want me for a wife...I knew deep down I wasn't going to be no nun...people "romanticize" going away to become a nun, you don't have to go away...you can live a consecrated to the Lord, just as the bible teaches...following Jesus, honoring scripture, helping your "neighbor" etc.
If the Lord directs you to go some place, that be different.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
To me it sound like your friend be "venting"...very few go to be a nun or sister.
I said the same thing after suffering a few broken hearts before I found the man I'm married to.
I went as far as learning their ways, taking on Catholic ways/ church etc... it was all for nothing because no matter how many times my heart got broken over some guy who didn't want me for a wife...I knew deep down I wasn't going to be no nun...people "romanticize" going away to become a nun, you don't have to go away...you can live a consecrated to the Lord, just as the bible teaches...following Jesus, honoring scripture, helping your "neighbor" etc.
If the Lord directs you to go some place, that be different.
Yes I dont know what to say to her.

Her bf break up was quite a while ago now and she hasnt been seeing someone regualrly since. My friend is already catholic though its not like she just decided one day nun life is for her she already knows a fair bit about it being raised catholic. I did ask her did she actually know any nuns personally or in this order and she said no.

So..yea. Im sure if the Lord is telling her to go He would make it clear.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Update ...Friend found full time job so isnt going to be nun (at this time) and as far as i know its a secular job.
I dont know if she will eventually give up this job if she doesnt like it and be a nun later when shes paid all her debt off but I imagine it wont be any time soon.

Anyway thanks for replies.
There was this tv series that explained all the process you have to go through to be a nun i found online but didnt get round to watching it and now cant remeber what it was called. I think it was a doco on different women and their journey.

Kind of like how women all get trained to be in ballet thats what it reminded me of, very few go on to have a full ballet career because the dance discipline just takes over your life.

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know some nuns in town. They are very special and it seems there is no end to their love of God and people.

I love them ... they're always helping people and those smiles and hugs are absolutely priceless!

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I dont know any nuns and never actually met any in my life. All I know are the ones on tv and movies.
Obviously they are not in my circle of fellowship, or are so cloistered away nobody really interacts with them.
Some are 'cloistered away' literally. The Discalced Carmelites a few miles from my home spend their days in prayer and do not go out and I've never seen a one of them. They are reportedly a vibrant community quite serious about praying for you, me, and the whole world. On the other hand, the Nashville Dominican sisters that teach at our parish elementary and middle school can be seen walking the neighborhood, at the grocery store, and the kids all want to be in one of the sisters classes. Their motherhouse is so full of postulants that they are seriously cramped in their growing pains.

Next time you see one, and the only kind you will see are those not cloistered, dare to strike up a short conversation.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have never seen one. How would I know they are a nun if they not wearing their habit uniform?
All the best ones do. Here's what Nashville Dominicans look like.
th

th

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Never see any walking round my town. There are two catholic high schools up the road from me though and a primary school further afield, sometimes go when they have a gala but never ever see any nuns.
Well, they're not EVERYWHERE. It's a blessing to have the ones we have.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.