PlainMeteorologist

Mar 21, 2007
✟15,185.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus says in Matthew 5:17-18:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

So, Jesus did not abolish the Old Testament feasts. In several locations in the books of Moses (e.g., Exodus 12, Leviticus 23, Numbers 9), the children of Israel are commanded by the Lord to celebrate the Passover for all generations. Of course, this is not required for salvation. Nevertheless, the celebration of Passover is ordered by Scripture--something that is not true for holidays like Christmas or Easter (These holidays originated in paganism, but that's another thread.)

Upvote 0

Koey

Veteran
Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟9,141.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...Think not that I am come to destroy the law...So, Jesus did not abolish the Old Testament feasts...

Logical disconnect. Law not destroyed = Feasts still observed. Circumcision is part of the law. Sacrifices are part of the law. Since these are no longer observed, are they destroyed? What did Jesus mean by the word destroyed, seeing as clearly several of the OT laws are no longer required for Christians?

To me the answer lies in the Christian's observance of these things in the spirit, not the letter.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since SDA's don't believe that Christ fulfilled/accomplished the WHOLE law, then according to them, not one 'jot or tittle' has disappeared from it and they are obligated to keep EVERY aspect of it as it was given to Israel. You can't have you cake and eat it too, and you can't say that some 'aspects' of the law were fulfilled while others weren't. If Jesus didn't accomplish the whole law then NONE of it has passed.

Upvote 0

PlainMeteorologist

Mar 21, 2007
✟15,185.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Sacrifice is no longer observed because it isn't necessary--Jesus served as a sacrifice for all our sins. In terms of circumcision, I plan to observe that ordinance for any sons I have. I do not believe this is a requirement for salvation. I just think it is part of submitting to God's word.

John 14:23
Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

Since SDA's don't believe that Christ fulfilled/accomplished the WHOLE law, then according to them, not one 'jot or tittle' has disappeared from it and they are obligated to keep EVERY aspect of it as it was given to Israel. You can't have you cake and eat it too, and you can't say that some 'aspects' of the law were fulfilled while others weren't. If Jesus didn't accomplish the whole law then NONE of it has passed.

find a quote where SDAs say they don't believe Jesus fulfilled the law.

But in whose dictionary fulfill = done away????

You are unable and unwilling to admit there is a difference between the 10 commandments and the law of Moses.

Upvote 0

Splayd

Just some guy
Apr 19, 2006
✟8,071.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally - I think the whole law does still stand. It seems to me that it would be pointless to have Jesus as our high priest and passover lamb etc... if they were all done away with. Rather - our role in it all has changed. We don't have to have offer sacrifices etc... because it's all been done for us.

Ironically - the Jews don't even offer sacrifices and continue much of the ceremonial law anymore either. Their reason is because they can't as the Temple no longer stands. That's not our reason though and neither is this idea that it's all been done away with. The reason I don't is because Christ's sacrifice was sufficient for everyone who will accept it for now and forever.

Peace

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
find a quote where SDAs say they don't believe Jesus fulfilled the law.
I'll just ask you. Do you believe that Jesus fulfilled the whole law?

OntheDL said:
But in whose dictionary fulfill = done away????
I give up...whose? The law still condemns those who have not been credited with the righteousness of Christ. In fact, the law has nothing to say to the righteous in Christ. God lives in them. In case you've missed it, THAT'S A BIG DEAL!

He brought it to completion, or he accomplished it for us, as Paul says. He fulfilled the requirements of the law on our behalf. That's why salvation is in HIM alone. That's why HE is the way, truth, and life.

OntheDL said:
You are unable and unwilling to admit there is a difference between the 10 commandments and the law of Moses.
I am unwilling to divide up the law as SDA's do in order to try and promote something that the Bible does not teach. You are unwilling to see that the 'law' is the writings of Moses, ALL given by God himself. Sometimes the use of the word 'law' includes all the psalms and the writings of the prophets as well. But it certainly DOES NOT divide it into different 'divisions'. And it certainly does not allow for the 'pick and choose' method SDA's use for extracting certain aspects of the law out of its context in order to try and prove that their prophet didn't make a mistake (food laws, tithing, etc.).

Either Jesus fulfilled it all and satisfied the requirements of the law for us, or 'not one jot or tittle' has disappeared from the law (the WHOLE thing). You can't have your cake and eat it too.:)

Upvote 0

Jon0388g

Veteran
Aug 11, 2006
London
✟16,667.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Either Jesus fulfilled it all and satisfied the requirements of the law for us, or 'not one jot or tittle' has disappeared from the law (the WHOLE thing). You can't have your cake and eat it too.:)

Freeindeed, define what you mean by 'fulfilled.'

If every law has 'disappeared' then you are at liberty to kill me and not be condemned.

Just as you keep pointing the finger at SDA's who believe that only the ceremonial laws of Moses were done away with, in the same manner I point the finger at you for insisting that all the law was done away with, except nine of the commandments.

Jon

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

I'll just ask you. Do you believe that Jesus fulfilled the whole law?

I give up...whose? The law still condemns those who have not been credited with the righteousness of Christ. In fact, the law has nothing to say to the righteous in Christ. God lives in them. In case you've missed it, THAT'S A BIG DEAL!

He brought it to completion, or he accomplished it for us, as Paul says. He fulfilled the requirements of the law on our behalf. That's why salvation is in HIM alone. That's why HE is the way, truth, and life.
Just answer the questions. Stop going around circles. We've been there before. No help.

The law still condemns those who have not been credited with the righteousness of Christ. In fact, the law has nothing to say to the righteous in Christ. God lives in them. In case you've missed it, THAT'S A BIG DEAL!

If you drive recklessly and got caught, you come under the condemnation of the law. But if you drive lawfully, you wouldn't even know about it.

You are saying Jesus did it all for, that He kept the law so you don't have to. There is nothing for you to do. Then answer this question: So if the unbelievers and believers all break the law; and the unbelievers and believer all have nothing to do, then why many will perish? then why God doesn't save all of them if they didn't have to do ANYTHING.

I am unwilling to divide up the law as SDA's do in order to try and promote something that the Bible does not teach. You are unwilling to see that the 'law' is the writings of Moses, ALL given by God himself. Sometimes the use of the word 'law' includes all the psalms and the writings of the prophets as well. But it certainly DOES NOT divide it into different 'divisions'. And it certainly does not allow for the 'pick and choose' method SDA's use for extracting certain aspects of the law out of its context in order to try and prove that their prophet didn't make a mistake (food laws, tithing, etc.).
No, actually the bible does say the 10 commandments were written by the finger of God. The law of Moses weren't. And 10 commandments are stored in side the Ark of Covenant and the book of law of Moses were stored outside.

And the bible furthermore says the law of Moses were added because of transgression. Answer the question: was the sabbath commandment added because of transgression?

Right, Jesus didn't say which law. So you can use it for your argument. But then the sacrifices are done away with but 'thou shalt not kill...' part still apply. So there is a difference.

But you will not admit it because if you do that's equal to admitting you are breaking the law and breaking the sabbath. So it continues...

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Freeindeed, define what you mean by 'fulfilled.'
Brought to completion. Accomplished. To satisfy the requirements of. It is finished!

If every law has 'disappeared' then you are at liberty to kill me and not be condemned.
Think about your accusation against God! Have you read the law of Christ? How can you accuse his Spirit of murdering people? What a preposterous thing to say! Who controls your mind? Is it your 'free-will' or is it the Holy Spirit? I surrendered my 'free-will' a long time ago (the Holy Spirit did this for me too).

Just as you keep pointing the finger at SDA's who believe that only the ceremonial laws of Moses were done away with,
None of the Gospels divide the law as you have, and the Epistles do not divide the law as you (SDAism) have. The LAW was just that, the LAW (which included all 5 books of Moses, the Psalms, and the Prophets)! He did not come to fulfill only a portion of the law that was against Israel, he came to fulfill the whole thing!

in the same manner I point the finger at you for insisting that all the law was done away with, except nine of the commandments.
I never said that! You're putting words into my mouth!

Jesus accomplished the WHOLE law for us. Not just bits and pieces as SDA's claim. He did it ALL for us. I would never attempt to divide the law into little compartments because the language doesn't allow it. And, besides that, nobody has EVER kept it! Do you understand that!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOBODY has ever kept it and all are condemned by it. Read 2 Cor 3!!!!! It is the 'ministration of DEATH!', and it's engraved on stone. The Spirit brings life, not the old covenant/10 commandments! You're lifting up the very thing that condemns you to death! You're embracing DEATH!!!!!

Go read for yourself. Read the whole book of Galatians, and do it asking the Holy Spirit to teach you instead of a denomination. READ IT!!!!!!! It will point you in the direction of SALVATION through CHRIST, rather than DEATH through LAW KEEPING!

I DO NOT point a finger at you...the LAW you keep lifting up is, because you do not keep it perfectly. And even if you did, your sin nature is not cured! Only Jesus can remove the veil and transform you into the NEW CREATION. You're looking in the wrong place. Look to JESUS ONLY! He is salvation!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just answer the questions. Stop going around circles. We've been there before. No help.
And I will go around in 'circles' as many times as it takes for you to recognize that salvation is in Jesus Christ alone! You may reject him before we get to that point, but I'll still be here.

If you drive recklessly and got caught, you come under the condemnation of the law. But if you drive lawfully, you wouldn't even know about it.

You are saying Jesus did it all for, that He kept the law so you don't have to.
I didn't even say he kept the law. You said that. I have said that he had authority over the law and that he accomplished it, fulfilled it, brought it to completion, for us since there was NO WAY for us to do this (we were born with a sin nature which obedience does not conquer).

There is nothing for you to do.
The believer rests in the finished work of Christ. He has already been made righteous and he/she follows the Holy Spirit (God himslef) who lives in him/her as a guarantee of all that God has promised. (I know your spirit knows this is true!):)

Then answer this question: So if the unbelievers and believers all break the law; and the unbelievers and believer all have nothing to do, then why many will perish? then why God doesn't save all of them if they didn't have to do ANYTHING.
Because, while many trust in Jesus for their salvation, there are many who insist that they must play a part in saving themselves. Imputed righteousness comes from Christ alone. We have no righteousness on our own. Our works, apart from Christ, are filthy works.

No, actually the bible does say the 10 commandments were written by the finger of God.
No problem. After Moses broke (interesting, isn't it?) the first set, written with the finger of God (and commanded by God), Moses was commanded to go back up the mountain. He was commanded to prepare two stone tablets again, just like the first ones God prepared. He told him the terms of the covenant again.

"Moses was up on the mountain with the Lord forty days and forty nights. In all that time he neither ate nor drank. At that time he wrote the terms of the covenant--the Ten Commandments--on stone tablets. When Moses came down the mountain carrying the stone tablets inscribed with the terms of the covenant, he wasn't aware that his face glowed because he had spoken to the Lord fact to face." Ex 34:28,29 (Read the whole chapter, and then, JUST FOR FUN!, go read II Cor. 3! You'll be amazed if you allow Jesus to remove the veil for you!).

The law of Moses weren't. And 10 commandments are stored in side the Ark of Covenant and the book of law of Moses were stored outside.
It's all ONE law. The 'book of the law' contained the 10 commandments too! You did realize that, right!?? And, obviously the covenant itself (old covenant) was placed inside the ARK OF THE COVENANT! I hope you see this! It's amazing when the veil is gone becuase of Jesus. The COVENANT/10 COMMANDMENTS were inside the ARK OF THE COVENANT! Please tell me you get this!:)

And the bible furthermore says the law of Moses were added because of transgression. Answer the question: was the sabbath commandment added because of transgression?
There's only ONE law! I understand what you're doing though and why you want to do it. I used to do the same thing. Question: Who gave ALL the commands the Jews refer to as THE LAW? Was it Moses, or God, or a combination of the two. Go back through the 5 books of Moses and look at who's giving the commands. It's ALL God!

Right, Jesus didn't say which law. So you can use it for your argument. But then the sacrifices are done away with but 'thou shalt not kill...' part still apply. So there is a difference.
There's only ONE law. Check it out. The language (Greek or Hebrew, take your pick) does not allow for the divisions SDA's try to make (and other law-based groups).

But you will not admit it because if you do that's equal to admitting you are breaking the law and breaking the sabbath. So it continues...
And it does. You lift up the law...I lift up Jesus!

I am praying the veil will be removed as you turn to Jesus alone for your salvation. It only took 35 years for me!

Upvote 0
O

OntheDL

And it does. You lift up the law...I lift up Jesus!
Hmmm...you don't understand the law.

The law represents Jesus' character: the standard of righteousness. The law is a mirror, only when you look into it, you might see the dirt on your face. It shows you your need for Jesus. Do away the law, you do away the need for the savior.

I am praying the veil will be removed as you turn to Jesus alone for your salvation. It only took 35 years for me!

Right, but you never truly understood Adventism. Or you would not have been a drop-out.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...you don't understand the law.

The law represents Jesus' character: the standard of righteousness. The law is a mirror, only when you look into it, you might see the dirt on your face. It shows you your need for Jesus. Do away the law, you do away the need for the savior.
The law is a death sentence to those who are under it. Nobody said anything about the law being 'done away' with. You can't be married to the law and Christ at the same time. The law served it's purpose and now has nothing to say to those who have the righteousness of Christ imputed to them. We don't live by the letter of the law, but by the Spirit of Christ.

OntheDL said:
Right, but you never truly understood Adventism. Or you would not have been a drop-out.
LOL! You're too funny!:) I left Adventism BECAUSE I understood it. The reason people stay is because they THINK they understand it, when in reality they do not.

Follow Christ alone!

Upvote 0

djconklin

Moderate SDA
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
✟19,306.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
NT Christians are not to keep the jewish annual feasts

Hmm, seems someone forgot to tell them that because they were keeping the feasts, new moons and ceremonial sabbaths at Colossae and Paul didn't chew them out for doing it!

The law is a death sentence to those who are under it.

The law can only be a death sentence when you violate it! So, stop hating and start loving. Or, as the prophet said "Cease to do evil, learn to do good." In fancy modern terms that's called "cognitive behaviorial therapy". Turn to God and live! Hate the sin within you and turn yourself over to Him daily (Paul said "I die daily." He wouldn't have had to say that if the law wasn't "relevant" to your daily life somehow.). Paul wrote: "Be ye transfromed by the renewing of your mind" he wouldn't have said that if Christ's imputed righteousness solved all the problems.

Follow Christ alone!

That's what the SDA church teaches, right on!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.