US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just got a new job, pay is pretty decent $19/hr (most I've ever made) but the hours aren't. My bf was disappointed by my hours cause it means we can't have dinner together. I just accepted the job but there is a part time job which may have a similar pay and may call me after the holidays for an interview.... I feel like I can't just jump ship cause now I have a job but I'm almost ready to jump ship if I can get the part time job instead just because of the time commitment involved and hours for the other job. Whatever job I get next I have to keep until I finish studying programming, cause my plan is to work remotely or freelance/contractor.
I'm just really down about the one I accepted already now. I tried to be positive but American work schedules seem to ruin everything.

The hours would be from 12:30pm-9pm. My bf gets off at 6pm and we usually eat dinner together and watch movies every night. :/

I'm scared it will strain our relationship but I also gotta pay off debts and save money. Ugh.

Btw my bf has day hours usually 7am-6pm 3 days a week, one half day, and then 1 8 hour Saturday. So our only whole day together would be Sunday.

Last edited:

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Congratulations, AngelEyes7715. It looks like you have received a Christmas present, even if not a perfect one. I hope it all works out for you and that it does not adversely impact your relationship with your bf.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just got a new job, pay is pretty decent $19/hr (most I've ever made) but the hours aren't. My bf was disappointed by my hours cause it means we can't have dinner together. I just accepted the job but there is a part time job which may have a similar pay and may call me after the holidays for an interview.... I feel like I can't just jump ship cause now I have a job but I'm almost ready to jump ship if I can get the part time job instead just because of the time commitment involved and hours for the other job. Whatever job I get next I have to keep until I finish studying programming, cause my plan is to work remotely or freelance/contractor.
I'm just really down about the one I accepted already now. I tried to be positive but American work schedules seem to ruin everything.

The hours would be from 12:30pm-9pm. My bf gets off at 6pm and we usually eat dinner together and watch movies every night. :/

I'm scared it will strain our relationship but I also gotta pay off debts and save money. Ugh.

Btw my bf has day hours usually 7am-6pm 3 days a week, one half day, and then 1 8 hour Saturday. So our only whole day together would be Sunday.
I don’t have advice, but I do have some sympathy. My wife and I only saw each other about once every 2 weeks due to our completely opposite schedules for about the first three years we knew each other. After we got married, moved and changed jobs, it got better, but my ever-changing schedule, coverage needed 24/7 365 days a year, has meant that I missed a lot of things in my kids’ lives as they grew up.

I suggest that you take advantage of the few periods of time you both have off together, and that both of you inform family and friends that this time is to be set aside for each other, so that you don’t drift apart. It is difficult, but it can be done...we’ve now been married for almost 23 years after a rocky start (in scheduling, I mean) like you describe.

Reactions: Dave G.
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Praying that Jesus resolves this.

Reactions: Angeleyes7715
Upvote 0