United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT ON!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread has been moved from the Christian Forums How-To? and a one week redirect link has been left.

Documentation of thread move is HERE for staff only!

~~~~~~~~~~~~MOD HAT OFF!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
ffrankson, that is not a good Christian witness, but you have to understand that Christians are still human and still have struggles. God has called us His own, His children, and we have accepted His invitation to be in His family, but that doesn't mean that we are instantaneously perfect. He works on us, bit by bit, and it's like a construction zone, messy. I have noticed that as He changes me, other people's perceptions of me do not change as fast, and that is frustrating, because this change in me is constant. I am not the woman I was yesterday. I say all of that to let you in on this - it's a process.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Today, I was cut off by a guy in a tricked-out Audi. He was on his cellphone and speeding. On the back of his car he had a "NOTW" sticker. If this was a one time event, I would say nothing. But it happens A Lot. I'm just wondering, in what way are people who live this way "not of this world"?

You are assuming that just be cause a person has 'things' like that audi or may have needed to be somewhere in a hurry he is 'of this world.' How is it you believe you are in a position to judge this man by looking into a 3 second window of his life?

I know I upset some people a few weeks ago with me weaving in and out of traffic in an old musle car trying to let the paramedics in to my uncles house an hour away. (all the while talking on the cell phone) My actions for that hour do not completely reflect what it is i have in my heart. Rather no one could possiable know what I was doing or why.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Today, I was cut off by a guy in a tricked-out Audi. He was on his cellphone and speeding. On the back of his car he had a "NOTW" sticker. If this was a one time event, I would say nothing. But it happens A Lot. I'm just wondering, in what way are people who live this way "not of this world"?

First: Christians aren't perfect. A church is not meant for perfect people. It is meant for regular people; people with struggles and stresses and all the normal things that humans experience.

Second: How often has this happened to you? I would suspect confirmation bias is playing a role in this as well. What I mean is that when a person has a "hypothesis" in their head already, then it becomes easier and easier to find those examples that confirm their hypothesis simply because they notice the anomalies. So, your hypothesis could be "Christians cut me off all the time" and from there, your brain starts noticing all the Christians that cut you off while ignoring the non-Christians that cut you off.

Unrelated note: What city do you live in? I hardly ever have people cut me off in my city so I'm surprised you have a sample size large enough to make a conclusion.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to a study, people with bumper stickers on their vehicles tend to be aggressive drivers, and it doesn't matter if it's a sticker for the Texans football team or a WWJD sticker.

I've actually never heard of this NOTW thing, but it's not a new concept. The idea is that Christians are like foreigners, and our ultimate citizenship belongs in Heaven. Jehovah's Witnesses take this concept farther than it was intended, and do not participate in politics, birthdays, or holidays.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase "In the world, not of the world." That's basically what it means. We live in the world, but we're supposed to hold ourselves to higher standards. If they're driving like maniacs (and the chances of them having a genuinely good reason to do so is extremely slim) then they're not really living up to those standards. But then again, I know some good Christians who I love dearly, but they drive like idiots. It's like people on the road have a completely different personality than anywhere else.

Upvote 0