#notmytaxbreak

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If anyone feels that you unjustly received money from the Trump tax cuts, you are encouraged to send that back in donation to trickle down government. Lets show them what kind of middle class we can create that wasn't being created before!!!

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MissingThePoint.gif

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
What if I end up paying more in taxes after all is said and done?

(I haven't crunched the numbers on the 'as-passed' bill but it was a possibility under the two separate proposals if itemized deductions were lost and the standard (even doubled) applied)

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While we may get a tax cut this year, it ends in 2027 while the tax breaks for the wealthy and the corporations never end. Worse than that, we are passing the ginormous debt to our children and we may very well end up cutting benefits to the elderly, the disabled and the indigent. Yay.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if I end up paying more in taxes after all is said and done?
Then that would be a situation where you could not be trusted with that money so we need to put that extra money in the hands of government that can be clearly trusted to do what is right and give that money to people that need it more then you do.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Then that would be a situation where you could not be trusted with that money so we need to put that extra money in the hands of government that can be clearly trusted to do what is right and give that money to people that need it more then you do.
Like the financially oppressed billionaires?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
*wonders how it seems I'll be doing better under the bill while everyone talks about how it screws the middle class*
As I see it, candidly, it depends.
The way the bill was structured the more income the more likely you'll benefit.
For those making less, then the amount one benefits becomes a balancing act of trade-offs.
IF, you're on the lower end of middle class and you get a $600 a year tax break BUT (just as example) health insurance ends up going up because of the elimination of the mandate.. or the now under-funded federal government cuts spending for schools and infrastructure (like happened in Kansas), then state and local taxes could go up to offset the differences.
Any combinations of these things could end up costing you more.
A $600 tax break doesn't benefit you in the long run if it causes other expenses to rise $1000.
this is the argument - whether you or I agree with it is a secondary consideration.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,958.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If I had the option to keep my taxes at their current level with any of the “cut” going towards the deficit/debt I would take it, but hey debt/deficits are only an issue when a democrat is in the White House.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
If anyone feels that you unjustly received money from the Trump tax cuts, you are encouraged to send that back in donation to trickle down government. Lets show them what kind of middle class we can create that wasn't being created before!!!

Will you be sending in a check to cover your families portion of the national debt?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

eh, not really. As far as I can tell, the hardest hits come to those in the upper middle class and those in high-COL states where prices equate to what someone in the upper middle class would pay elsewhere.

*wonders how it seems I'll be doing better under the bill while everyone talks about how it screws the middle class*

Yeah, the freak out over this is kind of nuts. It's not gonna help people nearly as much as advertised, but at the same time, unless it's followed with some drastic cuts to public services, it's not gonna hurt people the way that's being claimed. Except for the folks who buy health insurance through the exchanges - they could get hosed now that the mandate is gone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
eh, not really. As far as I can tell, the hardest hits come to those in the upper middle class and those in high-COL states where prices equate to what someone in the upper middle class would pay elsewhere.
There is no doubt that the wealthy are getting their taxes cut.
everyone else, middle-class and down, are subject to the trade-off of tax savings vs. incurred increases.
I'm not disagreeing with your point, just being more general in my comment than trying to nail down specifics.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
For those making less, then the amount one benefits becomes a balancing act of trade-offs.
IF, you're on the lower end of middle class and you get a $600 a year tax break BUT (just as example) health insurance ends up going up because of the elimination of the mandate.. or the now under-funded federal government cuts spending for schools and infrastructure (like happened in Kansas), then state and local taxes could go up to offset the differences.
Any combinations of these things could end up costing you more.
A $600 tax break doesn't benefit you in the long run if it causes other expenses to rise $1000.
this is the argument - whether you or I agree with it is a secondary consideration.

I am lower-middle class. The people who seem to get hosed are the ones who itemize every little thing, like the guy who balked on here once at me saying that senators making 100 grand a year was too much.

Why am I a paying a higher percentage of my income in taxes then a billionaire?

Dunno your particular situation, but what should really upset you is all the little loopholes congress puts in for them and their friends.

Yeah, the freak out over this is kind of nuts. It's not gonna help people nearly as much as advertised, but at the same time, unless it's followed with some drastic cuts to public services, it's not gonna hurt people the way that's being claimed. Except for the folks who buy health insurance through the exchanges - they could get hosed now that the mandate is gone.

True, although the mandate should have never passed SCOTUS in the first place. Regardless of one's views on single-payer or Obamacare, mandating people purchase health coverage just doesn't work within the current constitution.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,435.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Dunno your particular situation, but what should really upset you is all the little loopholes congress puts in for them and their friends.

It does, though not as much as the cold hearted removal of the medical deduction. Having gone through a major medical event a couple times in my life I know how much it helped to be able to deduct that 20K I spent out of pocket from my taxes. It was the difference between keeping my house and losing it.

The part that I find most egregious though is the deficit it creates. I would of been fine with them reducing the corporate rate if they could of offset the cost. Even if that meant raising our taxes. But doing so while adding it to the debt is unconscionable.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True, although the mandate should have never passed SCOTUS in the first place. Regardless of one's views on single-payer or Obamacare, mandating people purchase health coverage just doesn't work within the current constitution.

I realize that some people didn't pay for insurance due to their own reasons. Yet, majority of those that pay the fine couldn't afford insurance.

So, you get fined for not being able to pay for insurance...so those worse off can have it.

Now, when they take that fine away? Premiums are said to go up. Kind of tells you something.

I hope they fix the stupid thing. It's unfair to everyone at this point. Stupid politicians are so busy throwing barbs at each other, and yet claiming - at the same time - they care. Actions speak louder than words I'm afraid. No side is innocent here. They are all guilty as sin.

I didn't agree with the mandate though. If it turned out as we were promised? The only paying the mandate were ones that choose too.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It does, though not as much as the cold hearted removal of the medical deduction. Having gone through a major medical event a couple times in my life I know how much it helped to be able to deduct that 20K I spent out of pocket from my taxes. It was the difference between keeping my house and losing it.

The part that I find most egregious though is the deficit it creates. I would of been fine with them reducing the corporate rate if they could of offset the cost. Even if that meant raising our taxes. But doing so while adding it to the debt is unconscionable.

The Affordable Care Act was suppose to fix that too. It was suppose to remove the bankrupt due to medical costs. I remember that being promised as well. Sigh.

It just shows you they really need to fix it correctly this time. Although, that would depend on them placing their egos and melodramatics aside enough to do this for the people. Makes you wonder if that is even possible.

Upvote 0