Nothing equivalent to the Reformation in Orthodoxy?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(I am most interested in Orthodox replies here, though am also willing to hear responses from the non-Orthodox. I posted it here in St. Justin’s in case the discussion gets heated.)

I have heard it said several times that the East has had nothing similar to the Reformation that occurred in the West.

On the surface, it appears to me that many of the schismatic groups claiming themselves to be the “True” or “Genuine” Orthodox Churches and the Old Calenderists would seem to be the Eastern equivalent of Protestantism. For my understanding, can someone please explain to me why these two things are substantively different?

Thanks for your insights.

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There WAS a time, I considered the schismatic "orthodox" groups to be the equivalent of protestants. Then I came to realize they are MUCH worse. Protestants don't try to pass themselves off as Roman Catholics, and, in fact, pride themselves as NOT being RC's. Where the schismatic "orthodox" sects, TRY their best to pass themselves off as legitimate Orthodox jurisdictions.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Could it be said that there have been reformations of sorts at times when heresy crept in to the church and became the predominant belief for a period of time? I’m thinking of Arius (whose views were quite popular prior to nicea) or Iconoclasm, both of which were defeated by saints such as Athanasius, or John of Damascus.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There WAS a time, I considered the schismatic "orthodox" groups to be the equivalent of protestants. Then I came to realize they are MUCH worse. Protestants don't try to pass themselves off as Roman Catholics, and, in fact, pride themselves as NOT being RC's. Where the schismatic "orthodox" sects, TRY their best to pass themselves off as legitimate Orthodox jurisdictions.
Those are the Evangelicals. If you hear a Lutheran, Anglican or even Reformed, they will say they are Catholic or "Reformed Catholic".

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Those are the Evangelicals. If you hear a Lutheran, Anglican or even Reformed, they will say they are Catholic or "Reformed Catholic".
Maybe on the neenernet, but in REAL LIFE,,,,,,Those are ALL protestants... Trust me on this,,, 9 years of Lutheran school, former Reformed Elder, and spent 2 years as an Anglican, before becoming Orthodox

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
good point, but would a better comparison perhaps be the sedevacantists?

Edit: oh wait, you said that... I guess I need to read the whole thread before responding haha

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Yes and no. We would say we are catholic (small c), but we don't try to claim that we're the "real and true Roman Catholic church" or the like, nor do we attempt to obfuscate the differences.

It's an interesting question. I would lean in the direction of saying that in many ways the Protestant reformation was the product of particular historical circumstances, and that the east has no exact parallel because its history has been profoundly different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Reformation was not only a theological movement against papal abuses, starting with indulgences, but also a political movement as rulers opposed papal involvement in their internal politics, primarily in the Holy Roman Empire.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(I am most interested in Orthodox replies here, though am also willing to hear responses from the non-Orthodox. I posted it here in St. Justin’s in case the discussion gets heated.)

I have heard it said several times that the East has had nothing similar to the Reformation that occurred in the West.

On the surface, it appears to me that many of the schismatic groups claiming themselves to be the “True” or “Genuine” Orthodox Churches and the Old Calenderists would seem to be the Eastern equivalent of Protestantism. For my understanding, can someone please explain to me why these two things are substantively different?

Thanks for your insights.
No, these groups are still the same religion and can even cite canons for their seperation.
Protestantism morphs into a whole new religion and then continue to splinter hence their own terminology of denominations and branches and are considered a positive development (diversity and continual reform). Protestantism abandons previous traditions held by their christian ancestors.. By doing that it creates a new culture detached from the society before them.
Old calendarists or old believers even non- chalcedonians (regardless of what you think of their doctrine) are not looking to change but to preserve what came before them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, these groups are still the same religion and can even cite canons for their seperation.
Protestantism morphs into a whole new religion and then continue to splinter hence their own terminology of denominations and branches and are considered a positive development (diversity and continual reform). Protestantism abandons previous traditions held by their christian ancestors.. By doing that it creates a new culture detached from the society before them.
Old calendarists or old believers even non- chalcedonians (regardless of what you think of their doctrine) are not looking to change but to preserve what came before them.
What about the Roman Church?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
What about the Roman Church?

I guess you'd have to ask yourself how much of that description also applies to the Roman Church. Seems pretty spot on to me in some respects ('diversity' and 'continual reform', though the RC itself probably wouldn't put it in exactly those terms -- they prefer 'breathing with both lungs' and 'development of doctrine', but I don't really see how those are all that different). But what do I know. (Except for the part where I was RC myself...but even then I couldn't say I know all that much, since my RC friends always told me that if I really understood XYZ problem thing, then I never would have left. Strange how that works. :scratch:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Protestantism is a direct offshoot of RC but since they accepted the novelty of sola scripture they no longer look nor smell like RC.. The closest thing RC has are the SSPX and Sedavacanist. You cannot even make the case for the old catholics as they no longer hold the ethos of latin Catholicism. They have abandoned traditional morals though certain things may look alike on the exterior.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
my RC friends always told me that if I really understood XYZ problem thing, then I never would have left. Strange how that works.
Reminds me of some of the extreme calvinists, who will say “the Elect will never fall from the faith, so if you leave Christianity that means you were never Christian to begin with”

Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0