Not sure what to believe anymore

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟577,764.44
Faith
Messianic
Explore and be a seeker, after all even the Lord said.. Seek ye the Kingdom of God first.. Have a one on one talk with God, asking Him to lead, guide and teach.. and bring you to Him. Challenge Him to show HImself in a manner that is acceptable to the both of you.. You can point to Rev 3:20 and ask for that one on one meeting He promised. Then study to know what to expect when He comes knocking at your door.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am now borderline solipsistic, especially late at night.
The solution is to go to bed before 10! ^_^

Explore and be a seeker, after all even the Lord said.. Seek ye the Kingdom of God first.. Have a one on one talk with God, asking Him to lead, guide and teach.. and bring you to Him. Challenge Him to show HImself in a manner that is acceptable to the both of you.. You can point to Rev 3:20 and ask for that one on one meeting He promised. Then study to know what to expect when He comes knocking at your door.
Thanks for sharing this, visionary.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The issue is that we have to assume God, take His existence as an axiom.
Tinker, the Bible doesn't argue for the existence of God as much as it assumes the existence of God and comments on some people's lives under that assumption. Those four little words at the start of the Bible -- "In the beginning, God..." -- those four words provide the premise for what follows.

If someone chooses to be committed to whatever follows, they have to also accept the initial premise. Whether everybody actually does accept that premise (I think it has a lot more consequences than Christians popularly acknowledge), is another subject for another day.

If a person doesn't accept that "In the beginning, God..." they will develop other bases for evaluating any ensuing claims or worldviews.
For instance, you've often spoken of the reasons you have for being merciful, even though you have different reasons for doing so than any sense that God is that ultimate Reason.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, thanks. I apologize for asking. I thought about it after I posted and I realized that in this context, the answer to my question had to be obvious.

I was actually going for the "subject for another day" -- which is perhaps not appropriate for this forum.
I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question, Tinker.
That said, I don't find many apologetics-type threads much fun to be in, especially when they default to "reasons why God does or doesn't exist." There are a million wikis and pages that go that route, and it seems to be more of an academic proofing exercise than anything else... know what I mean?

What does interest me is the way that our beliefs and commitments influence our action in the world, amongst others, and in relation to ourselves. I care about restoring right relationships. For me, God and the concept of God-as-Creator infuses that care and work. I'm not offended when people come to the table with a different plate of food. I do hope that we can share and enjoy dinner.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
One of those things that I wish I had plenty of time to study is epistemology. The question I was asking here was: Why should anyone accept an axiom? It may be an interesting or essential given for some discussion, but when all is said and done, why is it given or accepted in the first place.

Subsequent to my question, I know that a certain percentage of people will respond with personal experiences. But I generally find that such experiences are guilty of assuming the consequent. That is, "I believe in God therefore God is the author of those experiences. Therefore, God exists."

Beyond this there is tradition, culture, etc.

For me, this is not enough.

Without intending to spawn debate, does anyone care to shed some light on the matter?

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Quod est veritas?" is such a great question.
And I doubt I could shed any light on it; I simply haven't been around long enough. :)

I do understand that experience doesn't carry much validity weight in some quarters, but I don't devalue it myself. I think humanity has learned much truth through its collective experience.

If you ever get around to studying epistemology, you might question the idea that truth is (a) always fixed, (b) fixed for always, and (c) monolithic. A lot of back-and-forth between religious and nonreligious hardliners relies on participants accepting those ideas. When you don't accept them, things open up quite a bit.

A tomato story might help me show what I'm talking about. When I eat a lot of them raw, they cause me inflammation. My experience with them tells me some truth about the nature of the tomato (it contains solanine, an inflammatory trigger) and some more truth about my human nature (I can be sensitive to such triggers). Some people respond to tomatoes in the same way as I do. Some people don't. And if I reflect on my own case enough, I'll figure out other circumstances under which I'm more or less likely to feel the consequence of these truth-realities.

It only takes one exception to make a new rule, though it might take a few more before we can articulate that rule gracefully. But treating our knowledge of truth and tomatoes as fixed may stop us from considering new rules at all. Instead we might feel befuddled about folks' varied responses to the fruit, or we might even downplay one response in order to validate another. I find a more expansive and inclusive approach to be more helpful and to lead to actions that "work": I personally have trouble receiving claims that don't "work," that don't lead to sound actions or consequences.

But I also agree with what you suggest in your comments: we often have both perception and interpretation trouble when it comes to "truth." Even when religious people throw in buzz-words like "revelation" and "inspiration," these issues remain. Within Christianity some seem to presume that Magic Spirit makes our perceiving and interpretation flawless. I don't hold that presuption. At least... I don't tonight! We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Hopefully no light has been shed, but you're even more pumped about reading up on epistemology. :)

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
One of those things that I wish I had plenty of time to study is epistemology. The question I was asking here was: Why should anyone accept an axiom? It may be an interesting or essential given for some discussion, but when all is said and done, why is it given or accepted in the first place.

Subsequent to my question, I know that a certain percentage of people will respond with personal experiences. But I generally find that such experiences are guilty of assuming the consequent. That is, "I believe in God therefore God is the author of those experiences. Therefore, God exists."

Beyond this there is tradition, culture, etc.

For me, this is not enough.

Without intending to spawn debate, does anyone care to shed some light on the matter?

There's no such thing as an axiom, not for me, anyway. I am almost entirely certain I am correct when it comes to a few of my core beliefs, but I don't consider even those beliefs to be totally self-evident or beyond scrutiny. There are precious few things we humans can know with absolute certainty; the rest is ultimately based in belief, in faith. Faith (and I'm talking about faith in general, not just in spiritual matters) can and often is blind, but it can also be tested against observation and experience, and supported by evidence. The latter sort of faith is ultimately the only faith worth having, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian

If an axiom has a why, it is not an axiom.

The key is to not become insane/harmful with your axioms. Thus 'It is ok to kill' is not consistent with my other axioms (one of which includes that all other axioms cannot be harmful*).

*Subject to certain constrictions, as some behavior is harmful, but may be allowed due to the great good. Like a police officer killing a guy who has begun to shoot people at a school and shows no signs of stopping. Of course, the police should act to detain, not to kill, but in detaining with violence, killing is a consequence.

Great, my explanation of a single point is longer than the rest of my post...

Reactions: Kenzi
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
There's no such thing as an axiom, not for me, anyway. I am almost entirely certain I am correct when it comes to a few of my core beliefs, but I don't consider even those beliefs to be totally self-evident or beyond scrutiny. There are precious few things we humans can know with absolute certainty; the rest is ultimately based in belief, in faith. Faith (and I'm talking about faith in general, not just in spiritual matters) can and often is blind, but it can also be tested against observation and experience, and supported by evidence. The latter sort of faith is ultimately the only faith worth having, in my opinion.

I agree.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
"Quod est veritas?" is such a great question.

Good post.

I've pondered quite a bit about how do we learn. I toyed with the idea that a person isn't fully a person until he/she realizes that those objects walking around on two legs that interact with her also feel, hurt, love, want, etc., just like her. That is, you aren't an individual until you realize you are an individual. Perhaps that last sentence is too pithy for its own good -- That is, you aren't an individual until you give up the idea that everything exists to minister to you. (I think some people never do.)

How does one learn this? I think perhaps it is by analogy. When I hit that person, he cries. When he hits me, I cry. I wonder if he feels the way I feel. Etc.

The problem with the axiom of God and experience is that as far as I know the only reason to connect that experience with God is because we have been taught to do so. Well, ok, it's more complex than that. It seems that as a social species we need rules for interaction. These rules are morality. There is an ongoing debate as to whether religion is an emergent property or an actual evolutionary phenomena. The first suggests that relgion is not necessary; it is merely a useful mechanism for encoding/enforcing/indoctrinating/teaching moral behavior. The second would suggest that religion is necessary for survival. I tend toward the first explanation. (Note that neither explanation explains away God ... God could have intended this development.)

I have noted that my religious feeling is indistinguishable from ordinary feeling. An epiphany about spiritual matters yields the same feeling as an epiphany about solving a problem at work. Feeling emotional about singing Amazing Grace in church is the same feeling as listening to Johnny Cash sing Rose of My Heart.

As such, it is necessary to examine our premises. Not just assume them. Why is a feeling that I ought to do something (or not) a feeling from God rather than just a feeling. Perhaps it is a feeling that evolved to enforce "moral" behavior.

IOW, I don't discount experience. I just tend to discount explanations for which I can see no justification ... particularly when a testable alternative exists.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I toyed with the idea that a person isn't fully a person until he/she realizes that those objects walking around on two legs that interact with her also feel, hurt, love, want, etc., just like her... you aren't an individual until you give up the idea that everything exists to minister to you. (I think some people never do.)
That's right... we call them narcissists, and they're not very nice to be around!

The problem with the axiom of God and experience is that as far as I know the only reason to connect that experience with God is because we have been taught to do so. Well, ok, it's more complex than that. It seems that as a social species we need rules for interaction. These rules are morality. There is an ongoing debate as to whether religion is an emergent property or an actual evolutionary phenomena. The first suggests that relgion is not necessary; it is merely a useful mechanism for encoding/enforcing/indoctrinating/teaching moral behavior. The second would suggest that religion is necessary for survival. I tend toward the first explanation. (Note that either explanation explains away God ... God could have intended this development.)
I understand this and agree with much of it.

I have noted that my religious feeling is indistinguishable from ordinary feeling. An epiphany about spiritual matters yields the same feeling as an epiphany about solving a problem at work. Feeling emotional about singing Amazing Grace in church is the same feeling as listening to Johnny Cash sing Rose of My Heart.
I have come to have a similar experience as you, Tinker -- and I think this is a wonderful thing. Religion fails me when it carves "spiritual matters" out of my ordinary world, ghettoizes and rarefies them, and then tries to make me or others feel guilty for recognizing their irrelevance.

In other words, the conundrum you face of not being able to distinguish "spiritual epiphany" from "professional epiphany" assumes not only that there is a distinction to be made but also that such a distinction *should* be made for significance's sake. The distinction between "spirit" and "matter" or "mind" and "body" is an assumption native to Western philosophy and it's now entrenched in Western Christianity -- but I have rejected it. There are a number of Christian groups, and nonChristian and nonEuropean traditions that didn't go down that dichotomized route, and I think there are many good reasons for not dichotomizing as the Western philosophers often have.

I come to this from a holistic starting point. As a practical example, I grew up observing Sabbath in a community that sharply separated regular time from sacred time. I can see the merits of that kind of analysis when one is just beginning to learn about each space -- analysis is a way of knowing -- but its effect is the same as dissecting a live pet: in the process of dissection, you gain knowledge of organs at the expense of losing the pet, and you can never get your pet back. When you have lost your pet, you might be justified in wondering "Was it worth it? Did I have an alternative way of knowing?"

I think synthesis or integration provides an alternative. One of the richest gifts my integrating journey has brought me so far is the gift of not having to wait until Sabbath to experience full joy or rest. In the synthesis of running Sabbath through my whole life instead of confining it to the last day of the week, I find that what I might otherwise have construed as God-less becomes full of God. The ordinary is a Godly ordinary and is amplified for me, just as it is.

I agree with your parenthetical suggestion that "God could have intended this development." Some Eastern Orthodox writers call the general idea "one-storey theology" because it asks us to co-occupy our space with God rather than banishing Him to the attic of our lifeworld and calling Him out on special occasions and/or when He's been good. The latter approach is two-storey theology, and it leads to a kind of segmentation and two-mindedness that I don't think is useful here on the ground.

Make any sense?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
In your second quote of me, I meant "neither explanation". Sorry. I edited it to fix it.

Good post.

I agree, if God and the sacred exists, then it should be part of every waking moment--at least implicitly. While a Chrisitian, I chafed against the idea that I should segregate my intellect. On top of which, my pastor while paying lip-service to the idea that life is worship, seem to feel that "true" worship included a sort-of full-body expression (raising hands etc.). This very idea is counter to worshipping while at work and by doing my work.

I too reject the mind-body dichotomy. I came to this partly through reading, e.g., Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and partly because the dichotomy allows segregation of all sorts -- of people, ideas, cultures, etc.

Perhaps you can explain how you reconcile religion without the mind-body dichotomy. It seems to me that there remains only the observable (or the potentially observable, directly or indirectly). If there is nothing 'other', then what is it you are worshipping?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

MattLangley

Sep 8, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
✟8,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think a question we all face and possibly answer differently is whether or not the only "true" things (or alternatively defined as thing we hold dear) are the ones that are provable.

I definitely think testing things and "proving" things to yourself is important, but in the end is that all that's important, or even the "most" important?

So the first step in evaluating this would be asking yourself what is the most important thing to you, out of everything.

For me that would be the love of my wife and my love of her. Possibly in that order (my love for her wouldn't be that powerful unless she loved me as well).

Can I prove her love for me in any reasonable way? I would argue absolutely not. Many people have convinced others they love them and even convinced themselves they loved them (love in context to this, like you would love a life companion such as a husband or a wife), but in fact do not in such a way.

The way I see it I can find no sufficient way to prove whether or not she loves me. I can test her by asking her to do things, or suggesting, or whatever, but in the end all of these things can be done by someone who doesn't have this sort of love for me.

So thee most important thing to me I cannot prove.

So it brings me back to the question of whether or not the most important and the most "true" things can be provable or even testable. I don't think one could test love, such tests fall short, they will often fail since love is such an experiential thing.

Now I agree that separating things fully that effect us is somewhat silly. Doing so is useful for evaluating things, but only if we fairly evaluate them together. So I do not suggest the total separation of "true" things that we have tested vs. things we cannot really test, they are connected to us all the same... but this has brought me to the conclusion that testable things aren't the end all be all. If something so dear to me as my wife's love cannot be tested but still is so amazingly true to me then I must be open to the possibility of others thing in which I can only experience but cannot test.

Upvote 0

AzA

NF | NT
Aug 4, 2008
✟17,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In your second quote of me, I meant "neither explanation". Sorry. I edited it to fix it.
Ah, ok. Still agreed. I would also suggest that both do explain away particular concepts of God even if they cannot explain away "God." And depending on how tightly a person holds onto their particular God-concept, addressing the concept can seem to be the same as explaining away "God." It's high trauma!

I agree, if God and the sacred exists, then it should be part of every waking moment--at least implicitly. While a Chrisitian, I chafed against the idea that I should segregate my intellect. On top of which, my pastor while paying lip-service to the idea that life is worship, seem to feel that "true" worship included a sort-of full-body expression (raising hands etc.). This very idea is counter to worshipping while at work and by doing my work.

I too reject the mind-body dichotomy. I came to this partly through reading, e.g., Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, and partly because the dichotomy allows segregation of all sorts -- of people, ideas, cultures, etc.

Perhaps you can explain how you reconcile religion without the mind-body dichotomy. It seems to me that there remains only the observable (or the potentially observable, directly or indirectly). If there is nothing 'other', then what is it you are worshipping?
Oh what an awesome question! It was so awesome I meditated on it while eating dark chocolate. :)

Bless your ex-pastor's heart. I reread this entire thread earlier today, and several great comments on this issue have already been made. Moriah made one point about the magic trick of Santa Claus -- the trick re anonymous gifting, service, and community that parents perform for children, which children receive, then discard when they're 8-ish, and yet often return to as adults for their children's sake and to teach them the larger lessons. Moriah then compared this to the acts that clergymen and women often perform in the context of their formal ritual and "worship" roles, and I've found this to be especially true of those clergy who are as clearminded as you are, Tinker. Often they understand the limits of the forms they're using, and so they use those forms as a means of helping others to experience larger meaning. The forms are like an access point, or a bridge, but they're certainly not the destination. That doesn't make them valueless.

I'm trying to pour my experience into words now. My thoughts are that worship *is* full-body, but not in the extended hands sense. It's full-body in the sense that it's about full-being. I'm wondering, if you put a time-lapse camera somewhere in my life, what you would see and how you would describe my worshipping, or if you would recognize it as worshipping at all! You would see things like pauses, reading, meditation and listening and then speaking and writing (i.e. inspiration and expiration), gratitude and appreciation, and social action, and my lifework. You would also see church, groups, forums, and relationships. And random conversations with friends and strangers, some of which might have something to do with religion but all of which have something to do with healthy humanhood...

Some might struggle with recognizing "worship" in all of the above because the concept of worship as we've been using it implies separation between worshipper and worshipped. There will inevitably be separation if the premise is "bow." The concept therefore also implies all sorts of mediating beliefs as necessary to point out the gap or try to bridge it.

When I'm replacing that separation with union, I become "one" again, I lack nothing, and I'm free to be, walk, live, love, act. We all are, and need no commentary. Under such circumstances, you're correct, there isn't "other"; I don't feel foreign to God or to people or nature; I embrace all and am embraced by all. It's both grounding and elevating at the same time. As McCoy said back in the way-back, "It's life, Jim, but not as we know it." At least, not as we know it while we insist on separation.

I'm not yet sure what else to tell you. :)

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟943,262.00
Faith
Atheist
I think a question we all face and possibly answer differently is whether or not the only "true" things (or alternatively defined as thing we hold dear) are the ones that are provable.

I definitely think testing things and "proving" things to yourself is important, but in the end is that all that's important, or even the "most" important?

So the first step in evaluating this would be asking yourself what is the most important thing to you, out of everything.

For me that would be the love of my wife and my love of her. Possibly in that order (my love for her wouldn't be that powerful unless she loved me as well).

Can I prove her love for me in any reasonable way? I would argue absolutely not. Many people have convinced others they love them and even convinced themselves they loved them (love in context to this, like you would love a life companion such as a husband or a wife), but in fact do not in such a way.

The way I see it I can find no sufficient way to prove whether or not she loves me. I can test her by asking her to do things, or suggesting, or whatever, but in the end all of these things can be done by someone who doesn't have this sort of love for me.

So thee most important thing to me I cannot prove.

So it brings me back to the question of whether or not the most important and the most "true" things can be provable or even testable. I don't think one could test love, such tests fall short, they will often fail since love is such an experiential thing.

Now I agree that separating things fully that effect us is somewhat silly. Doing so is useful for evaluating things, but only if we fairly evaluate them together. So I do not suggest the total separation of "true" things that we have tested vs. things we cannot really test, they are connected to us all the same... but this has brought me to the conclusion that testable things aren't the end all be all. If something so dear to me as my wife's love cannot be tested but still is so amazingly true to me then I must be open to the possibility of others thing in which I can only experience but cannot test.

A couple of things have to be defined before we go too deep, here. "Provable" is one. If by that you mean that there is evidence that could remove all doubt of veracity to a degree of 100%, then I certainly do not intend that things should be provable.

"Love" is the other term. Love is not in fact a thing. It is a category. And it is an amorphous category. It has no definitive boundaries. That is to say that one cannot say that all actions are either in a the category of love or outside it. On top of which, one cannot say a given action must always be either inside or outside. Sometimes it may be indicative; sometimes it may not.

Love becomes a meaningful term upon the realization that the sense that each of us has of the category substantially overlaps.

Two things then: 1) It is becoming feasible and imaginable that Scientists could survey the brain responses of people in love (and loved) and define a specific set of brain patterns that "define" love. 2) If love is a set of actions under certain sets of circumstances, then if your spouse acts as if she loves you, she loves you.

Note that love has got to include the circumstances. For example, when I am at work I rarely if ever think of my wife. It might be reasonable to say, then, that while I am at work I don't love her.

Ultimately, you have a set of expectations that defines for the category of love. If she meets them, you perceive that she loves you. And, I submit that you prove to your own satisfaction and your own perception that she indeed loves you.

So yes, in a sense, love is provable. If this is not proof, I submit that a person has not adequately understood his own expectations. (I also submit that some relationships break up because person A defines a criteria for love that person B meets. Person A breaks up with person B because he/she is not satisfied. Person A doesn't understand himself. He wants assurance but can't define what that means.)

A second minor point is this: The concept that Love is a thing is a hobgoblin of western philosophy. Ideas do not exist outside our minds. To perceive that there is a fixed definition for any concept and to expect that all perceivers will agree on a perception is to be deceived.

Upvote 0