Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,832.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The comparison with Baal does not hold, because the name Baal was (AFAWK) never used for the God of the Israelites. Allah is, on the other hand, used by Arabic-speaking Christians.

Still, I don't agree with the Bishop's idea. Semantic precision notwithstanding, the name "Allah" IS far too identified with one particular religion. Even Arabic-speaking Christians, I've noticed, tend to avoid it as far as possible, using "Rabbuna" instead ("our Lord").

Don't call him a dhimmified coward, though. That's too strong. He is only trying to shock his audience away from Islamophobia - which IS a genuine problem! In spite of Islamic fundamentalism and everything, we ought to remember that we are the three great monotheistic religions. In this atheistic, materialistic, relativistic world, we ARE on the same side in many ways.
actually if you examine place names in the bible, Baal is used in Israelite place names to refer to the true God. Baal, doesn't mean God, however, it means Lord. Baal and Adonai are equivalent. God is equivalent with Elohim.

In Arabic Allah is a combinatio of the definite article "Al" with the word Ilah, which comes from the same aramaic root as Eloh in hebrew, which is "god". So in arabic to say "The God" originally it was Al Ilah, over time and usage that simply became Allah.

Now, it is one thing to say that Allah just means "God". It is another thing entirely to equate the god of Islam, with the God of Christianity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just a post,

I thought that He wants us to call Him Abba (which means daddy in english).

He is that close to us. Our Loving Daddy

:-D

Exactly so.

And this is why really, honestly, I am saddened that quite a few sincerely Christians DO NOT approach God in that way, but are apparently timid about speaking to their Father and trusting him to be willing to hear from us. We always say this kind of thing to our own children--'I'm always here for you,' 'you can say anything to me without fear of me becoming mad,' etc.--but when it comes to God, they instinctively behave NOT in the manner you've addressed.

Instead, they think that they need another intercessor if they are going to get our Father's attention, a saint or such, and they feel the need always for miracles in order to bolster their faith in God's presence and love.

If only they could really believe in their hearts what they profess with their lips about God being with and for them. :(

Upvote 0

CatholicFlame

The Lord is Risen Indeed
Nov 4, 2007
California
Visit site
✟20,269.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well in my life Albion, that is not why I ask the help of the saints really. I love God my Father and I talk to Him and to the Lord Jesus. I really do.

But I have found that the closer I get to God, the closer He gets me to all of His family. Those on earth naturally and even those in heaven. He wants to prepare me for heaven and the great communion of us all together. That is why love of neighbor is right up there next to love of God.

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
May Peace be with you all. I think you can take a few views on this & possibly argue as long as you want. I don't see much gained judging a church or denomination by one statement that may be taken out of context. I am sure we all can agree it happens? I don't see much gained by accusing a denomination for being wrong for trying to avoid conflict yet also being wrong for not agreeing with another's view?

Allah (Arabic: الله, Allāh) is the standard Arabic word for "God".[1] The term is most likely derived from a contraction of the Arabic article al- and ʾilāh "deity, god" to al-lāh meaning "the [sole] deity, God" (ho theos monos); another theory traces the etymology of the word to the Aramaic Alāhā.[2]
While the term is best known in the West for its use by Muslims as a reference to God, it is used by Arabic-speakers of all Abrahamic faiths, including Christians and Jews in reference to "God".[3][1][4] The term was also used by pagan Meccans as a reference to the creator-god, possibly the supreme deity in pre-Islamic Arabia.[2]
The concepts associated with the term Allah (as a deity) though differed from tradition to tradition. In pre-Islamic Arabia, Allah was not the sole divinity, had associates and companions, sons and daughters. There was also a kind of kinship of between Allah and the jinn. [5] In Islam, Allah is the pivot of the Muslim faith who is only God, all-merciful and omnipotent, transcendent creator of the universe, and the judge of humankind.[3][1] As the Arab Christians today have no other word for 'God' than 'Allah'[6], they for example use terms Allāh al-ab (الله الآب) meaning God the father, Allāh al-ibn (الله الابن) mean God the son, and Allāh al-ruh al koudous (الله الروح القدس) meaning God the Holy Spirit. There are both similarities and differences between the concept of God as portrayed in the Qur'an and the Hebrew Bible. [7] The Qur'an also rejects the Trinitarian conception of God as three persons in one substance (see Trinity).[8]

Upvote 0

rrguy

Jul 12, 2007
✟19,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exactly so.

And this is why really, honestly, I am saddened that quite a few sincerely Christians DO NOT approach God in that way, but are apparently timid about speaking to their Father and trusting him to be willing to hear from us. We always say this kind of thing to our own children--'I'm always here for you,' 'you can say anything to me without fear of me becoming mad,' etc.--but when it comes to God, they instinctively behave NOT in the manner you've addressed.

Instead, they think that they need another intercessor if they are going to get our Father's attention, a saint or such, and they feel the need always for miracles in order to bolster their faith in God's presence and love.

If only they could really believe in their hearts what they profess with their lips about God being with and for them. :(

Albion I will give you credit to having much knowledge on religion & your statements cause me to think & try to learn. I don't understand everything of every ones faith yet I found there are more myths or misunderstandings supported than truths? There may be some who feel that way but I think many more agree more so with CatholicFlame. I have seen better examples than mine, Yet I don't know of any Father who gets upset with one brother helping another & they both know without their Father they would not be? Would a father be mad at a child who feels unworthy & ask for his brothers help? Or prefer the child who disobeys & expects whatever he ask for?

If God is in us & we are all brothers & sisters, who are to try & be Saints & we are to help others & we help him when we help his children & many of his works come through others & we can see how some before us are excellent examples, I don't see it wrong if God helps us through them? There is also Scripture where someone ask Abraham (who has Gods favor) to intercede for Gods help?

I don't remember the last person who visited a grave & talked to a loved one who was deceased, then was told whats wrong with you? Talk to God only!!!

James 5:16 says the earnest heartfelt prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Baal is simply the Caananite name for God. Why don't we start calling him that.

I have a better proposal. Why don't people of all faiths start calling God Father, Son, and Holy Ghost to foster understanding.

These Islamics are martyring Christians every day. Any Bishop that proposes something like this is a coward.
I do believe the Christ to which we follow fostered a heart and love for peace.

The word Allah means God. It isn't like they are calling God something that doesn't mean God.

Extending an olive branch is a smart and Christ like thing to do. Humility trumps pride.

Pax Christi.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Allah, however in certain cultural context speaks of the islamic god.

If a Christian is arabic speaking? No problem.

If a Christian is English speaking, major problem, in that in the English Speaking world there is a difference between God and allah. There is an understanding that they are different names for different dieties. We are not arabic speakers, there is no reason to take on a foreign name simply to appease those who are killing our brothers across the world.

Upvote 0

SaNcTaMaRiA

I am a man...who loves our Lady!
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Iowa
✟169,437.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Allah, however in certain cultural context speaks of the islamic god.

If a Christian is arabic speaking? No problem.

If a Christian is English speaking, major problem, in that in the English Speaking world there is a difference between God and allah. There is an understanding that they are different names for different dieties. We are not arabic speakers, there is no reason to take on a foreign name simply to appease those who are killing our brothers across the world.
What is wrong with using a different name for God? One that clearly addresses the one true God? I do not understand this vigilant attack on the arabic word Allah.

What is up with this anti Islamic lingo of "killing our brothers across the world"

This should have nothing to do with turning our backs to those who also use the word Allah. Christ loved those who persecuted Him and also prayed for them...extending a hand of peace by offering that calling God Allah is not a bad thing is in no way inflamitory or heretical...now saying that Muhamad is his profit would be a much different story.

Pax

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do believe the Christ to which we follow fostered a heart and love for peace.

The word Allah means God. It isn't like they are calling God something that doesn't mean God.

Extending an olive branch is a smart and Christ like thing to do. Humility trumps pride.

Pax Christi.

And then the next concession to Islam's demands will make just as much sense to you as this one, and then the next, until Islam has achieved its goal of extinguishing the Christian faith by a thousand cuts.

I'll make it easier for you, and we can all save time.

After we decide to call God Allah, we can agree that 1) Jesus was a Muslim (that's also one of Islam's favorite claims),

2) that Islam reveres him just as much as we Christiams do (that divinity stuff being an unnecessary complication that is not humble and causes friction, yada yada yada), and then

3) that Islam is the highest form of faith since it doesn't compromise its values all the time just to get along--"like Christians do." :sigh:

Upvote 0

Anglian

let us love one another, for love is of God
Oct 21, 2007
Held
✟20,741.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Sancta Maria,

I respect your sentiment, but wonder how much contact you have with Islam where it is in the ascendant?

Being a member of the Coptic Orthodox Church we see, everyday in Egypt, the way in which Islam disrespects Christianity. That does not mean we should reciprocate, but it also means we should not blind ourselves into a kind of indifferentism which holds that there is very little difference between us; there are big differences.

What is wrong with using a different name for God? One that clearly addresses the one true God? I do not understand this vigilant attack on the arabic word Allah.

What is up with this anti Islamic lingo of "killing our brothers across the world"

This should have nothing to do with turning our backs to those who also use the word Allah. Christ loved those who persecuted Him and also prayed for them...extending a hand of peace by offering that calling God Allah is not a bad thing is in no way inflamitory or heretical...now saying that Muhamad is his profit would be a much different story.
Pax

The Muslims hold to what we would consider an heretical view of God. Their God in not a triune God, and they hold that we believe in Three Gods; so 'Allah', although a word we Copts do use for God when worshipping in Arabic (as we were forced to centuries ago on threat of death), does not mean for us what it does for Muslims.

There is, alas, no Islamic country in which Christians have the same rights as Muslims, that is contrary to their Law. Moreover, where Islam has flourished it has suppressed Christianity. If one takes modern Turkey (a secular state now officially) as an example. In the sixth century it was a centre of Christian civilisation, the three Cappodican Fathers came from there as did many Saints. How many Churches are left there now? Very few, and they are under threat.

No doubt many Muslims in the west are well-intentioned, but the sad fact is that where they have control Christianity - and Christians - suffer in a way they do not in the west. Recently a Muslim complained to me at the press attacks on his faith in the western media. I did not defend those attacks, but pointed out that my own coreligionists in Egypt face real attacks too. It is a fallen world and we should do nothing to make it worse.

But to turn the other cheek to Islam is, alas, to invite a sore face.

Anglian

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums