Bollington
✟8,591.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I left church aged 13 after mom became an atheist, I returned to church last year after lockdown for the first time in 20 years, I just started confirmation classes and I am set to get confirmed in October but I have had a change of heart I don't believe in god I want to go back to being atheist shall I stop confirmation classes and stop the confirmation and even going to church .

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I left church aged 13 after mom became an atheist, I returned to church last year after lockdown for the first time in 20 years, I just started confirmation classes and I am set to get confirmed in October but I have had a change of heart I don't believe in god I want to go back to being atheist shall I stop confirmation classes and stop the confirmation and even going to church .

That's something you should speak with your priest about. He'll tell you how to handle it.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,047.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you do not believe in God, what do you want to confirm?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Don't believe in God.. you know what anyone can do is just ask Him. Yeah God/Christ if you really are who they say you are show me. The key is to mean it from the heart and He always shows up. Jesus Christ is REAL! No other loves you more no other took our place. Left heaven .. died for the sin of the world. For God so loved the world.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In my tradition (Anglican), confirmation is the rite by which people affirm for themselves their commitment to Christ, in the presence of a bishop. I assume confirmation is similar in your Orthodox tradition.

If you don't believe in God, then I don't think it would be appropriate for you to be confirmed at this time. Wait until you are ready to commit to being Christian, since that is what confirmation is about.

In the meantime, my advice is to continue going to confirmation classes and/or church if you are enjoying and learning from them. These can be good places to explore your spirituality and to help you figure out what is true and good and important in your life. Even if you end up being an atheist in the end, I think it is good to be well-informed about religious belief and practice.

Upvote 0

Mink61

Aug 27, 2019
Las Vegas
✟32,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
What made you return to church last year, and what made you have a change of heart so soon afterwards?

Upvote 0

Megan Furlong

Mar 31, 2019
Bollington
✟8,591.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What made you return to church last year, and what made you have a change of heart so soon afterwards?
depression after lockdown I just wanted to see if I would become a believer I do not like Christianity I just cannot understand why atheists make up such a small percentage of world population. I cannot believe in god unless there is undeniable proof of existence.

Upvote 0

Megan Furlong

Mar 31, 2019
Bollington
✟8,591.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I mean no one can hate like a Christian can. Children should not be told they are broken, sinful and doomed to eternal torture if they don’t accept Jesus …
Christians really twist the meaning of the word "love." Christians will say that it is loving to shun someone who leaves the faith, because that might push them to come back. In the case of conversion therapy, Christians will literally call torture "love."

Christians who call it "love" when they try to manipulate and abuse someone into obedience. I feel its sums up I am a atheist

Upvote 0

Mink61

Aug 27, 2019
Las Vegas
✟32,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
I mean no one can hate like a Christian can. Children should not be told they are broken, sinful and doomed to eternal torture if they don’t accept Jesus …
Christians really twist the meaning of the word "love." Christians will say that it is loving to shun someone who leaves the faith, because that might push them to come back. In the case of conversion therapy, Christians will literally call torture "love."

Christians who call it "love" when they try to manipulate and abuse someone into obedience. I feel its sums up I am a atheist
While I agree that some so-called 'Christians' certainly can hate, so can Muslims, Buddhists, and every other believer--Christian or non-Christian--as well as atheists.

Not all Christians tell children that they're broken, sinful and doomed to eternal fire if they don't accept Jesus.

And actually, what many Christians believe is that God IS love. Pure love. Complete love. Perfect love.

I see you left the Church at an early age. Have you tried reading the Bible since then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I used to teach a bible study at a juvenile detention facility. These were teen boys who were incarcerated for various crimes. Most were Lutheran or Catholic.

I would ask how many had been confirmed and most would raise their hands. I would then ask how many knew what that meant, and hardly ever would a hand be raised.

In most manufacturing operations a final step is to measure the product as a sort of quality control. Confirmation is supposed to verify that one has demonstrated an understanding of the doctrines of that particular faith tradition.

Having seen how ineffective and meaningless it is for many, I am not impressed with what confirmation does.

If you continue with confirmation class, do not expect too much from what it might do for you.

If you are just exploring Christianity, you should be cautioned that it is presented in many different ways and not always with kindness or understanding. If you want a clearer picture of Christianity, you might want to research a little like here;

Christianity 101

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Well, why would you continue to pursue something you don't believe in? Do you want to pretend to Christian belief and values? That would be hypocritical, wouldn't it?

So, why don't you believe God exists? What's halted your interest in knowing God and walking with Him? Do you just want to live as you like? Is that the main problem?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

No one can hate like a Christian can? That's a...nasty and ignorant point of view. It hasn't been Christian theocracies that have killed nearly 100 million people within the last 100 years or so but atheistic, communist regimes. Stalin, Chairman Mao, Pol Pot, Kim Jong-il - all of these men were atheists and together they killed more people by a huge margin than any so-called "Christian" political regime.

Anyway, it is in the nature of being human for humans to hate. Christian or not, human beings hate all sorts of things. Some of those things they ought to hate: rape, murder, genocide, infanticide, cowardice, perversion, cruelty, betrayal, etc. Other things, people can hate without moral violation: spiders, rap music, the color orange, micro-fiber clothing, loud motorcycles, pot smoke, etc. Hate, then, is not across-the-board an objectionable thing.

So, what, then does the Christian hate? Does the Christian hate people? No. Do they hate dark skin, or slanted eyes? No. Do they hate tall people, or hairy ones? No. Do they hate ethnicity or dialects? No. The Christian hates what God hates. And what does He hate? Sin.

Why does God hate sin? Because it destroys; because it cuts people off from living in the fulfillment of the purpose for which God made them; because sin hardens, and blinds, and deafens people, confusing them, and binding them in darkness and delusion.

God is perfect. He doesn't need you or I to hate sin. If no one on Earth hated sin, God would not be diminished one iota. And if we all obeyed God's Moral Law, God would not be improved in the slightest, either. He exists in perfection and cannot be lessened or improved by anything, as a result. He commands us to hate sin, then, solely for our sake, not His. His Moral Law is intended to protect us from the corruption and death our sin always produces. How does God do wrong hating what will destroy us and urging us to do the same?

But human beings love what God hates; they love sin. And they love it so much, so persistently, that they are cut off from God, who is perfectly holy and just, by their practice of sin. God could just leave us all to stew in our own wickedness and die but because He loves us, He made a way through Jesus to free us from the penalty and power of Sin. How strange it is to me, then, to hear what is actually love on God's part characterized by you merely as indiscriminate hate.

Who do you know that has undergone "conversion therapy"? No one, I'll bet. In the last twenty years, who has suffered under the torture of such "therapy"? As far as I'm aware, "conversion therapy" of the sort of which you seem to be thinking just doesn't go on. It's a sort of "boogey man" thing, raised up in an effort to vilify Christians, employing the same broad brush thinking of which the racist is guilty when she asserts that all black people are the same, or that all black people ought to share in the guilt of the evil deeds of some black people. If it's wrong to speak in this overly-generalized way about black folk, why isn't it wrong to do so about Christians and their faith?

Why does your definition of "love" get to be the standard to which Christians ought to conform their own definition of "love"? Who says your definition is better than theirs? If there is no God, on what basis do you say, "Your 'love' is faulty and hateful. You should love in the way I think you should love." Without God, all you've got are humans telling each other how they should behave. But what gives one human the right to tell another what to do? No human has innate superiority over any other; no human possesses a special, intrinsic authority to dictate to other humans their morality. Without God, all you've got is human preference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

This is a legitimate complaint. I have seen the kind of thing you're describing.

Religious faith is a powerful thing. At its best, it inspires people to do great good in the world, something which I have also seen first-hand. Because we see that God loves us, and that God loves the people around us, we can be motivated by our faith to be a part of God's loving work in the world, caring for the people around us and helping them when they are in need.

But religious faith can also be twisted into a tool of cruel power in the hands of people who thrive on controlling the people around them. It can be used to manipulate, dominate, and crush other people. And the temptation to use religious faith in this way can be subtle; a person can intend to be using power for good, but are instead harming people in ways they don't appreciate.

I encourage you to seek out places where religious faith is being acted out in good ways. In the US, I'd direct you to something like Habitat for Humanity or a similar religiously-motivated charitable organization; I don't know what the UK equivalent is. That way, you'll at least see how religion can be a force for good, before you make your decision. A person doesn't have to be an atheist to be a good and moral person.

I am sorry for the ways you've been hurt by Christians. You are not alone in that experience.

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
depression after lockdown I just wanted to see if I would become a believer I do not like Christianity I just cannot understand why atheists make up such a small percentage of world population. I cannot believe in god unless there is undeniable proof of existence.

Since others here have addressed your third post nicely, I'll address this second one.

The reason for an atheist minority in the world is because the evidence for a supernatural creator, being, or god is too obvious to rationally reject. The only way to do so is with a determined heart that chooses a preferred world view over reality. Once there, a person can pursue unlimited reasons to reject God, be it hypocrite followers, bad churches, theological difficuties, supposed scriptural contradictions, secular science teachings, or false accusations. The problem though usually doesn't lie with the evidence itself, but with how one's heart wants to interpret that evidence.

Your demand for undeniable proof for God is an unrealistic standard that you can't possibly apply to all of the other things in life. The reality is that people make decisions emotionally based on feelings and preferences, or logically based on evidence and facts. In the case of God's existence, the scientific, philosophical, and theological evidence for his creation and presence throughout history is far beyond a reasonable doubt - but certainly not undeniable by those who's hearts want to reject him.

If you want to serve and please yourself in this life as much as possible without having to submit to any godly rule or relationship expectations, then atheism is surely an attractive option. Don't kid yourself though into thinking you've concluded a rational position on the religion issue. A faith's truth rests upon its foundational evidence, whether you like it or not, and whether its followers abide by it properly or not (a good Mormon vs a bad Christian does not determine which of the two religions is right).

In summary, I'd agree with others that you've no business performing a confirmation ceremony for something you seemingly loathe. Might I suggest that you seek religious truth rather than reject your current misguided view of it. There are several ways to pursue this, but here's one excellent video reco just to get you started and interested. The link won't work here, so just type into YouTube:

Why Does Creation Make Sense by Lee Strobell

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums