London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
the title says a lot. This book, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, brilliantly looks at Christianity, Judaism and Islam - the Abrahamic faiths, and makes clear points on how terror, war and violence should not be tolerated in the Lord's name. He also uses modern examples looking at religious scapegoats, dualism and altruism as well as main stream monotheistic religion.
The format is quite easy to manage and the words followable, I would recommend this to anyone who would seriously like a deeper understanding.
While I appreciate this book was not written by a Christian, it is most definitely one more of us should read.
I find it good that while he is a jewish Rabbi he looks at what caused the 1930s anti-semitestism and examines the present cases too.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rabbi Sacks is the Chief Rabbi of Great Brittan. He is Orthodox (perhaps ultra orthodox) and is frequently quoted by the Chabad Lubavich as he has written extensively on the works of their late Rebbe Menecham Shneerson.

Yes - he is a very good read.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the title says a lot. This book, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, brilliantly looks at Christianity, Judaism and Islam - the Abrahamic faiths, and makes clear points on how terror, war and violence should not be tolerated in the Lord's name. He also uses modern examples looking at religious scapegoats, dualism and altruism as well as main stream monotheistic religion.
The format is quite easy to manage and the words followable, I would recommend this to anyone who would seriously like a deeper understanding.
While I appreciate this book was not written by a Christian, it is most definitely one more of us should read.
I find it good that while he is a jewish Rabbi he looks at what caused the 1930s anti-semitestism and examines the present cases too.
In the ancient near east cultures (including Hebrews) "in the name" means in the authority, in the power, in the will of, in the character of, etc." So, unless God tells somebody to kill... it is never "in His name." Sadly, most people confuse their own conscious with God's "soft still voice."

Upvote 0

Bethany35

Liberal Christian, Jesus loves all
Oct 4, 2015
London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
he certainly is informative and a strong voice against extremism. Unfortunately for a long time jews have bee a scapegoat for other groups but his book has Andrew Marr and Dr Rowan Williams (previous Archbishop of Canterbury recommending it.)
Read and learn how to act peacefully against extreme ideas, in our churches as well as outside.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Bethany35

Liberal Christian, Jesus loves all
Oct 4, 2015
London
✟19,055.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
In the ancient near east cultures (including Hebrews) "in the name" means in the authority, in the power, in the will of, in the character of, etc." So, unless God tells somebody to kill... it is never "in His name." Sadly, most people confuse their own conscious with God's "soft still voice."
and some choose to use religion for bad purposes.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and some choose to use religion for bad purposes.
Of course... that goes for Christians too. It is quite amazing... and incredibly sad, how many have been put to death "in Jesus name" as if he would have ever sanctioned their actions. Remember his words... words we all pray we never hear? One comes to him and says, "Lord Lord have we not done ___ IN YOUR NAME?" And He replies, "depart from me you workers of lawlessness, I never knew you." Why? Because they weren't "in his name," nothing they did was directed by Him which it would have to be in order to be in His name.

Upvote 0