Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟870,036.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hey that Church is my town, I've attended services there.

He's right about the acoustics. The first time I was there - although the small choir is grouped together on one side of the church, it was crowded and I couldn't tell where the sound was coming from because it was coming from everywhere. It was magical. I wonder if the building was designed for that acoustic effect, or if it was just a happy accident.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Definite designed for that aspect....What do you think people did in the big cathedrals before electricity and microphones? My priest was lamenting the use of microphones in some big new orthodox churches today b/c it took away the need for good acoustics and ended up with some uglier church design---think of your normal "Auditorium" style protestant church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

fuerein

Thanks for the link, that article is hilarious. He's absolutely right too, even after 6 months my legs still hurt from standing after a few hours.

It has never really bothered my legs. However, for some reason if I stand for prolonged periods of time without significant movement (crossing oneself is not enough) my right shoulder feels like someone is trying to cut it off from the inside out. In a previous parish without pews it really got to me by the end of the service and during longer services it was a real pain (literally). All I wanted to do was rush down to the fellowship hall so I could sit and relieve the discomfort. My current parish has pews so it hasn't really bothered me for some time. I really am lost as to why my shoulder hurt so much.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm quite fat so it used to bother me a lot to stand that long. I still wear flat shoes, but after a few years of Liturgies I am used to it. The only time it bothers me now is if I have worked a long shift on my feet at work the night before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.