Norwegian variations - nature, culture, architechture etc.

PaaKne

Mar 11, 2017
Norway
✟26,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually there was quite a lot of Icelandic immigration to Canada, also. Icelandic is basically Old Norse. You can see it in some place names in Canada such as Gimli, Manitoba.

Ah, now that's interesting. I assumed Manitoba must be an indigineous name (not sure what to call the original inhabitants now...they call them 'First Peoples' and things like that now. I'm not sure if it's OK to say American Indians or not :( )

My sister lives in Winnipeg now, but until last year, she was living in White Rock in BC, and prior to that, Quebec. Absolutely beautiful, BC..apparently quite different from where she lives now. I was fortunate enough to go and stay with her in BC a couple of times. I was highly nervous in case of bumping into a bear or a cougar or something :(. But the wildlife was fantastic. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ah, now that's interesting. I assumed Manitoba must be an indigineous name (not sure what to call the original inhabitants now...they call them 'First Peoples' and things like that now. I'm not sure if it's OK to say American Indians or not :( )

My sister lives in Winnipeg now, but until last year, she was living in White Rock in BC, and prior to that, Quebec. Absolutely beautiful, BC..apparently quite different from where she lives now. I was fortunate enough to go and stay with her in BC a couple of times. I was highly nervous in case of bumping into a bear or a cougar or something :(. But the wildlife was fantastic. :)
My wife and I have visited the BC Rockies.

The Icelandic name in Manitoba is Gimli. (Sometimes it's said 'Manisnowba' because it gets so cold...)

There are lots of waterfalls in Iceland. People who are interested in Icelandic heritage sometimes get runic tattoos (though maybe you or your family are not into tattoos).

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beautiful waterfall, but - 21 meter? Not impressed at all - passing a such fall to and from school every day ;).What about http://www.geoatlas.no/wp-content/uploads/ga_legacy/8494.jpg (Vettisfossen, 275 meter) or https://68.media.tumblr.com/10c64eb83a1a0f33c0ae16522efba6d0/tumblr_mwrzjxAGhL1r9z6nco1_500.jpg (Brudesløret, 300 meters)

Ah...one-upmanship LOL. Yes, your waterfalls are awesome! I think I actually have seen bigger waterfalls than the one I posted, in England, but certainly not as spectacular as yours! :).

Maybe tomorrow I will post a few photos af some places and architecture in the UK that you've not seen. It won't be as spectacular as yours...just different. :)

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My wife and I have visited the BC Rockies.

The Icelandic name in Manitoba is Gimli. (Sometimes it's said 'Manisnowba' because it gets so cold...)

There are lots of waterfalls in Iceland. People who are interested in Icelandic heritage sometimes get runic tattoos (though maybe you or your family are not into tattoos).

Well, I'm not personally into tatoos, but It would be quite interesting to see a runic one. :)

Upvote 0

PaaKne

Mar 11, 2017
Norway
✟26,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Northern lights look so amazing and beautiful. They can only be seen in Britain in the north (and maybe the Midlands), but especially Scotland...and I don't know how often they appear. I've never seen them, but I live in the South-west of England.
In the northen divisions/districts Troms and Finnmark nearly every second night with no clouds (with different kind of intencity of course). In southern part of Norway about every tenth such nigh and in Scotland about every 25th-30th. Even the south of UK have them, but may be once a year - and for sure not a dark night without clouds...

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the northen divisions/districts Troms and Finnmark nearly every second night with no clouds (with different kind of intencity of course). In southern part of Norway about every tenth such nigh and in Scotland about every 25th-30th. Even the south of UK have them, but may be once a year - and for sure not a dark night without clouds...

Ah, well, that's the trouble here, we have so many clouds! LOL Plus, there is an awful lot of light pollution, hard to see many stars let alone anything else, especially in the city. The only time I've seen the milky way was when we lived out in the country in Luxembourg

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I'll post something to your profile page (so that we don't get too off topic here!).

Thanks :). But of course, it's actually interesting to compare countries, customs, also when sometimes thing s are linked historically. It can be difficult sometimes not to veer a bit off topic. Perhaps it depends whether Paakne minds or not (so long as it doesn't veer off too much.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks :). But of course, it's actually interesting to compare countries, customs, also when sometimes thing s are linked historically. It can be difficult sometimes not to veer a bit off topic. Perhaps it depends whether Paakne minds or not (so long as it doesn't veer off too much.
Just posted something to your profile.

So did you live in Oesling, when you were in Luxebourg? because most of the Gutland is more heavily populated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PaaKne

Mar 11, 2017
Norway
✟26,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah...one-upmanship LOL...
No chance awoiding that when about nature - a true Norwegian isn't quite easy to impress at that field LOL.

... Maybe tomorrow I will post a few photos af some places and architecture in the UK that you've not seen. It won't be as spectacular as yours...just different. :)
Look forward for those - I know UK has a lot impressive when about architecure :).

Upvote 0

PaaKne

Mar 11, 2017
Norway
✟26,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...Perhaps it depends whether Paakne minds or not (so long as it doesn't veer off too much.
No problem at all to me personally - but remember other also may try to find information about Norway in this tread.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just posted something to your profile.

So did you live in Oesling, when you were in Luxebourg? because most of the Gutland is more heavily populated.

No, we lived in the South, to begin with at a place called Capellen, more or less west of Luxembourg city. Then we moved further north but only about half an hour's drive away, to a little hamlet called Lannen. But we visited up north..Clerveaux, Vianden, Troisvierges etc
Then we moved over the border to Belgium and lived in Arlon, about half an hour's drive from Luxembourg city.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, we lived in the South, to begin with at a place called Capellen, more or less west of Luxembourg city. Then we moved further north but only about half an hour's drive away, to a little hamlet called Lannen. But we visited up north..Clerveaux, Vianden, Troisvierges etc
Then we moved over the border to Belgium and lived in Arlon, about half an hour's drive from Luxembourg city.
Oh I know the Arlon _ Luxembourg railroad line, which crosses the border before Capellen.

Vianden and Clervaux are really interesting. I think the Abbaye Saint-Maurice in Clervaux is associated with Icelandic Nobel Literature Prizewinner Haldor Laxness, who lived there for a while. Vianden Castle is really amazing!

Actually, Icelandic airliners used to fly to Findel, Luxembourg; another Nordic connection there.

Upvote 0

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No problem at all to me personally - but remember other also may try to find information about Norway in this tread.

Yes, of course. :) it's just interesting when people come from different countries, to see what variations in geography, culture etc etc there are. And of course, history often lnks hings together, like words being imported from one language to another with invasions and so forth. And musical influence, all sorts of things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tansy

Jan 12, 2008
✟35,507.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh I know the Arlon _ Luxembourg railroad line, which crosses the border before Capellen.

Vianden and Clervaux are really interesting. I think the Abbaye Saint-Maurice in Clervaux is associated with Icelandic Nobel Literature Prizewinner Haldor Laxness, who lived there for a while. Vianden Castle is really amazing!

Actually, Icelandic airliners used to fly to Findel, Luxembourg; another Nordic connection there.

Yes, we went to Vianden castle a few times. I didn't know about Haldor Laxness

Upvote 0

PaaKne

Mar 11, 2017
Norway
✟26,254.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Norwegian flag is very similar to the Icelandic one.

The flag of Iceland - known as " Fáninn" (the tab) is intended "opposite" of the Norwegain, reminding about the close connection. The blue reminds of Atlantic Ocean, the white about snow/ice and the red about the vulcanoes and hot springs.

Also the Faroe Islands have a similar flag - .known as Merkið (the tab/symbol). Tthe original from 1919 found in Fámjin Church and like http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_JE44_BvP3E0/S9S0btgg68I/AAAAAAAAEok/oKjEhgk79cc/s600/merkið.gif).

The Norwegian is the oldest and from 1821, the Islandic is from 1915 (officially from 1944, and in fact never formally accepted by Demark) and the Faroese from 1919 (officially from 1940 (ordered by the Britan commander)/1948 (accepted by Denmark).

The format ratios, however, are different: The Norwegian is 16:22, the Islandic 18:25 and the Faroes 5:7

Upvote 0