North Korea was under control when Obama was in office. Right?

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
North Korea issues nuclear warning to U.S., other foes - CNN

September 9, 2015

In its latest bout of saber rattling, North Korea says it is ready to use nuclear weapons against the United States and other foes if they pursue "their reckless hostile policy" toward Kim Jong Un's regime.

In a statement carried by the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency on Tuesday, an atomic energy official said Pyongyang is improving its nuclear weapons arsenal "in quality and quantity."
L. TODD WOOD: North Korea threatens U.S. nuclear attack

Before the ink is even dry on President Obama’s Iran nuclear deal, the subject of the last nuclear agreement conducted with a rogue state by Democratic President Bill Clinton in the ‘90s, the North Korean Dear Leader, Kim Jong-un, has just threatened to nuke the United States.

In addition, the Associated Press reports that the director of the North’s Atomic Energy Institute said the country was ready to counter any U.S. hostility with “nuclear weapons any time,” and said scientists had “made innovations day by day” to “guarantee the reliability of the nuclear deterrent … as required by the prevailing situation.”

How about 2014?

N Korea threatens war over US movie

North Korea has promised "merciless" retaliation if a forthcoming Hollywood movie about killing Kim Jong-un is released, say agencies.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in state media that the movie's release would be an "act of war".

He did not mention the title, but a Hollywood movie called The Interview with a similar plot is due in October.

How about 2013?

North Korea’s military ratcheted up its threat to carry out a nuclear strike on the U.S. to new heights Thursday — just hours after the Pentagon announced the deployment of an American ballistic missile defense system to Guam.

Claiming that the “moment of explosion is approaching fast” and that war could break out “today or tomorrow,” the General Staff of North Korea’s military claimed in a statement to the nation’s official government-run news agency that it has final approval to carry out “merciless” strikes on the United States.

The statement appeared to come in response to Washington’s decision to enhance U.S. military assets in the region and to the Obama administration’s own ramping up of rhetoric toward North Korea in recent days.​

How about 2012?
North Korea has threatened a U.S. attack for years. Why aren’t you scared?

I response, North Korean officials have leveled serious threats against the United States. RT reports that a spokesman for North Korea’s National Defense Commission warned that it had weapons "unknown to the world" that made it an "invincible power," while the state news agency KCNA warned that "if [the] United States wants their mainland to be safe" they should end the military exercises

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Who said NK was under control when Obama was President? Facts prove that NK was just as unstable then as it is now.

The difference is the US didn't have an equally unstable leader with nuclear weapons making threats to "toally destroy" North Korea in return.

• Agree
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Who said NK was under control when Obama was President? Facts prove that NK was just as unstable then as it is now.

The difference is the US didn't have an equally unstable leader with nuclear weapons making threats to "toally destroy" North Korea in return.

You're right. We had a leader that pretty much did nothing in response to NK's threats, allowing them to get to where they are now.

Upvote 0

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
You're right. We had a leader that pretty much did nothing in response to NK's threats, allowing them to get to where they are now.

Ok, let's avoid the right left thing for a minute. If you had control of the US, would you immediately go to war with NK? Even if this means going to war with their lone ally China in return and the strong possibility, with how North Korea is this unstable them launch actual live nuclear weapons at Guam or Japan or American troops? Are you prepare to lose millions of lives and possibly vastly change Earth in the process to get NK under control.

The is a reason people are trying sanctions and it not cause of weakness. With NK this unstable, they may not want to I don't know kill millions of people?

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok, let's avoid the right left thing for a minute. If you had control of the US, would you immediately go to war with NK? Even if this means going to war with their lone ally China in return and the strong possibility, with how North Korea is this unstable them launch actual live nuclear weapons at Guam or Japan or American troops? Are you prepare to lose millions of lives and possibly vastly change Earth in the process to get NK under control.

The is a reason people are trying sanctions and it not cause of weakness. With NK this unstable, they may not want to I don't know kill millions of people?

To be honest, I have no idea what would be the best response to NK. Of course, going to war is not a good option. You mentioned sanctions, but NK doesn't like that either. They are even warning that there's going to be a harsh response for them. North Korea Warns of a Harsh Response to New Sanctions

We can keep backing NK into a corner with more and more sanctions. But what does a wild animal when you back him into a corner with no way out? He eventually attacks. Now, it could be said that there IS a way out--give up his nuclear program. But what did Obama do after Libya gave up their weapons programs? I'm sure NK recognizes that giving up their weapons wouldn't end the hostilities, but would make NK weaker and cause them to face the same fate as Libya.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I have no idea what would be the best response to NK. Of course, going to war is not a good option. You mentioned sanctions, but NK doesn't like that either. They are even warning that there's going to be a harsh response for them. North Korea Warns of a Harsh Response to New Sanctions

We can keep backing NK into a corner with more and more sanctions. But what does a wild animal when you back him into a corner with no way out? He eventually attacks. Now, it could be said that there IS a way out--give up his nuclear program. But what did Obama do after Libya gave up their weapons programs? I'm sure NK recognizes that giving up their weapons wouldn't end the hostilities, but would make NK weaker and cause them to face the same fate as Libya.

You know, I'd give Trump a lot of praise if he actually opened up a dialogue with NK. The great negotiator and all that, right?

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Of course NK doesn't like sanctions, sanctions have an effect of killing economies and harming citizens, not that I'm even suggesting that North Korean leadership cares one whit about their populace. Otherwise, they would not be suffering as they are now. But, when NK pulled out of the non-proliferation treaty in 2003. What else was the rest of the world to do? If North Korea was this determined to get nuclear weapons, if they are this unwilling to understand what the cost of that capability can do, what is the best solution.

We likely are cornering a caged animal, but I'm equally at a loss to figure out how to get NK into line without sacrificing millions of people to do so.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know, I'd give Trump a lot of praise if he actually opened up a dialogue with NK. The great negotiator and all that, right?

I seem to remember some time ago that he said he would be willing to sit down and talk to NK under the right conditions. I don't know what happened to that. Since that time, NK sent a US prisoner home in a coma, developed ICBMs and started launching them, and has set off the H-bomb. The administration might be thinking that the time for talk is over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Of course NK doesn't like sanctions, sanctions have an effect of killing economies and harming citizens, not that I'm even suggesting that North Korean leadership cares one whit about their populace. Otherwise, they would not be suffering as they are now. But, when NK pulled out of the non-proliferation treaty in 2003. What else was the rest of the world to do? If North Korea was this determined to get nuclear weapons, if they are this unwilling to understand what the cost of that capability can do, what is the best solution.

We likely are cornering a caged animal, but I'm equally at a loss to figure out how to get NK into line without sacrificing millions of people to do so.

The only thing I can come up with is some sort of covert operation where the capability of NK to launch an attack is removed. Some might suggest taking out King Jong Un and that the people will be happy as they were when Saddam Hussein was taken out of power. They claimed to love him, but actually just feared him. Same goes for Un.
Another possibility is an EMP attack on NK. We'd just have to hope that his ability to retaliate wasn't hardened against EMP. But it would knock out the power needed to respond quickly before any follow-up attacks happened.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not aware of NK being under control, after WWII.

Uh, remember the 1950's -

Thank you - I really enjoy an open discussion.

What would I personally do if I was President?

1. I would use my voice in the International stage - perhaps the UN and express in clear and distinct words that 20 years of negotiating has failed. Two decades of sanctions have failed and the global community needs to step up proactively in enforcing the actions they already have on the books and enact greater pressure on the government of North Korea to stand down. The security counsel has already supported the actions for two decades, but have been toothless in the execution.

2. I would do everything within the bounds of my ability with US companies, banks and agencies to cut off and suspend all bank accounts, holding and interaction with North Korea until they follow the international directives they have already been given.

I would use every tool at the US intelligence, surveillance and covert community has to monitor activity at the facilities that produce and launch these illegal weapons and in no uncertain terms warn them to cease.

If there was a credible threat of a launch I would do a surgical strike on the launch pads, research facilities and any mobile units that activate.

I am sure they already have Kim's cell phone identified. They can use it for triangulation between his phone, the communications satellite and a ship off the coast. One surface to surface and he's done. But that would have to be a last ditch defense.

That is what I would do.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The only thing I can come up with is some sort of covert operation where the capability of NK to launch an attack is removed. Some might suggest taking out King Jong Un and that the people will be happy as they were when Saddam Hussein was taken out of power. They claimed to love him, but actually just feared him. Same goes for Un.
Another possibility is an EMP attack on NK. We'd just have to hope that his ability to retaliate wasn't hardened against EMP. But it would knock out the power needed to respond quickly before any follow-up attacks happened.

Does the US/UN as I would assume by this point with the exception of China, most of the UN would approve this if it were possible, have the capability to do a said EMP attack of NK weapon installations?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Does the US/UN as I would assume by this point with the exception of China, most of the UN would approve this if it were possible, have the capability to do a said EMP attack of NK weapon installations?

A nuke detonated high in the atmosphere over NK would accomplish that.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
A nuke detonated high in the atmosphere over NK would accomplish that.

And if it doesn't....and the West launches one first. We're right back into the situation of mutual nuclear launches. That is not exactly a great solution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Non sequitur

Wokest Bae Of The Forum
Jul 2, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
✟45,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Uh, remember the 1950's -
The stalemate? Where no peace treaty was signed? The one where more than one million civilians and soldiers were killed?

Yes.

The axe murder incident, incursion tunnels, Cheonan and the capture of South Vietnam's capital, since then?

Yes.

When exactly was this "under control" thing? It sounds like a wonderful time.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Lots of barking, but what do all those events have in common? No war.

Un would posture and threaten -- the little dog yapping at the big dogs -- and the US and the rest of the world would quietly find ways to keep the little dog in its yard.

• Agree
Reactions: dgiharris
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,429,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to imply N. Korea making threats is an indication that it is not "under control".
The N. Korean regime has been making threats ever since the DMZ was established - across a dozen or so US Administrations.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lots of barking, but what do all those events have in common? No war.

Un would posture and threaten -- the little dog yapping at the big dogs -- and the US and the rest of the world would quietly find ways to keep the little dog in its yard.

For two decades the 'little dog" has been threatening to us nuclear weapons against the US and her allies. It's been barking because the little dog had no bite. The little dog now has a devise that created a 6. point plus earthquake.

and the little dog is hooting missiles capable of hitting the US and is still barking about using them.

While the UN and the US acted quietly to keep them in their back yard, their restraining chain just grew by 5,000 miles. and the little dog now has a bite that can kill millions in one strike.

That is what has changed.

Upvote 0