North Korea was under control when Obama was in office. Right?

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If I were king for a day, this is how I would handle the NK situation.

I believe that there are only three ways to deal with NK.

#1) We confine them to their corner of the world and isolate them which will result in a festering resentment and their eventual attack against their oppressors (see Germany after the Treaty of Versailles.
#2) Invade them and purge the Kim family and entire government (which will cost hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives not to include possibly starting WWIII with China and Russia)
#3) Drastically improve their economy and way of life while also improving diplomatic relations

We have been doing #1 since the 50s and it just isn't working and there is no end game in sight.
#2 is just not a real option and the cost is too great so...

that leaves #3.

My take is that we get the people of NK fat and happy and addicted to Starbucks and I-phones and the internet and that will take care of our problems with NK. Think of the US's relationship with China from the 70s till now.

There was a time when the US and China were enemies. Now we are reluctant economic allies because we are tied at the hip together economically.

What needs to happen with NK is a LONGTERM strategy of reducing the paranoia that the ruling class in NK has. Similarly, we need to find ways to include them in the world economy and world stage. I mean, when was the last time a NK dictator left NK?

We've got to think "long term" in regards to NK. We can't just flip a switch and expect all the problems to be solved. Change has to come from within and that means the NK citizenry. We've got to get them fat and happy and plugged into the internet. Then, over time NK will naturally become "less crazy" and "more peaceful". I would think it would take 20 to 30 years...

Meanwhile, it goes without saying that the US and our allies have to be the "mature adults" here.

I know, the above is a liberal hippie dippie kinda kum-by-ya solution but I think it is more on the right path than what we are currently doing.

I'm not a fan of precipitating WWIII.

Reactions: AllButNone
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
For two decades the 'little dog" has been threatening to us nuclear weapons against the US and her allies. It's been barking because the little dog had no bite. The little dog now has a devise that created a 6. point plus earthquake.

and the little dog is hooting missiles capable of hitting the US and is still barking about using them.

While the UN and the US acted quietly to keep them in their back yard, their restraining chain just grew by 5,000 miles. and the little dog now has a bite that can kill millions in one strike.

That is what has changed.

And now the big dog is daring the little dog to use its bite -- neither dog strikes me as particularly smart... what do you think?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now the big dog is daring the little dog to use its bite -- neither dog strikes me as particularly smart... what do you think?

What would I personally do if I was President?

1. I would use my voice in the International stage - perhaps the UN and express in clear and distinct words that 20 years of negotiating has failed. Two decades of sanctions have failed and the global community needs to step up proactively in enforcing the actions they already have on the books and enact greater pressure on the government of North Korea to stand down. The security counsel has already supported the actions for two decades, but have been toothless in the execution.

2. I would do everything within the bounds of my ability with US companies, banks and agencies to cut off and suspend all bank accounts, holding and interaction with North Korea until they follow the international directives they have already been given.

I would use every tool at the US intelligence, surveillance and covert community has to monitor activity at the facilities that produce and launch these illegal weapons and in no uncertain terms warn them to cease.

If there was a credible threat of a launch I would do a surgical strike on the launch pads, research facilities and any mobile units that activate.

I am sure they already have Kim's cell phone identified. They can use it for triangulation between his phone, the communications satellite and a ship off the coast. One surface to surface and he's done. But that would have to be a last ditch defense.

That is what I would do.

Repeated for informational purposes.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What would I personally do if I was President?

1. I would use my voice in the International stage - perhaps the UN and express in clear and distinct words that 20 years of negotiating has failed. Two decades of sanctions have failed and the global community needs to step up proactively in enforcing the actions they already have on the books and enact greater pressure on the government of North Korea to stand down. The security counsel has already supported the actions for two decades, but have been toothless in the execution.

Donald recently spoke to the UN -- In your opinion, was his message as convincing as yours would have been?

2. I would do everything within the bounds of my ability with US companies, banks and agencies to cut off and suspend all bank accounts, holding and interaction with North Korea until they follow the international directives they have already been given.

IOW, economic sanctions -- commonsense measures; I agree.

I would use every tool at the US intelligence, surveillance and covert community has to monitor activity at the facilities that produce and launch these illegal weapons and in no uncertain terms warn them to cease.

Now there's the rub: the weapons aren't (technically) illegal. North Korea withdrew from the nuclear non-proliferation treaty back in 2003. Donald's in no position to fault a nation for withdrawing from an international agreement that wasn't in their best interests, agreed?

If there was a credible threat of a launch I would do a surgical strike on the launch pads, research facilities and any mobile units that activate.

So what's a "credible" threat? It's already been noted that Un's been yapping about nuking someone for the last two decades.

I am sure they already have Kim's cell phone identified. They can use it for triangulation between his phone, the communications satellite and a ship off the coast. One surface to surface and he's done. But that would have to be a last ditch defense.

And since Un is crazy but not stupid, by the time he's ready to launch, he'll be holed up in an underground bunker so deep he'll be borrowing cups of sugar from the devil...

Most of North Korea's military bases are underground and in mountains - making any strike much harder

I can't even get a cell signal in the subway... you?

That is what I would do.

Repeated for informational purposes.

And it's as good a plan as any.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And since Un is crazy but not stupid, by the time he's ready to launch, he'll be holed up in an underground bunker so deep he'll be borrowing cups of sugar from the devil...

MOAB

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Perhaps, but again -- crazy, not stupid. NK has been tunneling their mole cities for decades. We're not talking simple cave networks; we're talking serious fortifications... dug by people who know what a MOAB is capable of.... and what it's not.

Plus, you'd need a LOT of them if you don't know which rock Un is hiding under.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Who said NK was under control when Obama was President? Facts prove that NK was just as unstable then as it is now.

The difference is the US didn't have an equally unstable leader with nuclear weapons making threats to "toally destroy" North Korea in return.
I thought the NK issue was so unwinnable there was nothing Trump could do that would be worse. But he's just so good at being awful.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I thought the NK issue was so unwinnable there was nothing Trump could do that would be worse. But he's just so good at being awful.

Hardly. Trump's exacerbating the issue rather then approaching things like a leader should with a cool head.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟622,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You seem to imply N. Korea making threats is an indication that it is not "under control".
The N. Korean regime has been making threats ever since the DMZ was established - across a dozen or so US Administrations.

But only recently have they have nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them to anywhere they want.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Perhaps, but again -- crazy, not stupid. NK has been tunneling their mole cities for decades. We're not talking simple cave networks; we're talking serious fortifications... dug by people who know what a MOAB is capable of.... and what it's not.

Plus, you'd need a LOT of them if you don't know which rock Un is hiding under.
Or just block their air vents and entrances, get the job done.

Upvote 0