• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"Normal" Days?

C-Man

Apr 12, 2010
Texas
✟9,173.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think I'm having one right now. There are kids running around outside shouting, and it doesn't bother me. I haven't had to down a pot of coffee just to fire up my brain. :D
The prospect of learning Python(a programming language) doesn't seem all that daunting at the moment. I relish these few days.
How about everyone else? Do you have such days?

Mar 22, 2007
Glenside, PA
✟7,654.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think so. My sensory sensitivities continually remind me that I'm different, that I have to process things differently. I have to rely on God's grace constantly to get me through the day, so that I appear normal even though I'm not.
I think that I feel most "normal"-ish when I'm running. I have my MP3 player on to block out noise, I'm going at a steady pace, everything feels controlled. I'm hidden in plain sight. It's nice. And then the earbuds have to come off. ;-)

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2010
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm.. for me, I have them if certain things are in place. If it is quiet, and I am not hearing distracting noises, if I am not under stress, etc. Then I feel most close to being neurotypical. I find if I am lacking sleep, or if I have eaten a bread product of some sort, that my sensory sensitivities become amplified. Some days are better than others; but if you add in a few factors to the mix if I am doing well, like sudden noise or an increase in a variety of noise, or stress usually I start stimming automatically, and exibiting autistic behavior. It's disapointing being so vulnerable to my enviroment; it seems like it has to be almost absolutely silent among a variety of other factors in place for me to function close to normal.

Upvote 0

Standing_Ultraviolet

Dunkleosteus
Jul 29, 2010
North Carolina
✟4,331.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Behaving totally nuerotypically is hard for me, because I have a combination of Asperger's and OCD that causes me to withdraw from other people to fulfill whatever my compulsion is, and makes it difficult for me to focus on the world around me sometimes. Whenever I'm not having problems with OCD, though, I'm generally more able to act "normal". It can take conscious effort, though.

Upvote 0
Mar 5, 2011
Wales.
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
I am learning C at the moment. As long as I have my laptop (Running#! linux) and a WLAN connection I can ignore everything around me.

I do have some normal days, as I am home educated i am no where near as stressed as I used to be, less noise, shcool kids being rediculous, less tiering social situations etc and therefore have some days that are better than others. Though in the summer when I go camping with big groups I get really tired and don't speak to people much.

James

Upvote 0

MattyD

Aug 4, 2006
New York City
✟15,334.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I think I'm having one right now. There are kids running around outside shouting, and it doesn't bother me. I haven't had to down a pot of coffee just to fire up my brain. :D
The prospect of learning Python(a programming language) doesn't seem all that daunting at the moment. I relish these few days.
How about everyone else? Do you have such days?

Generally I do not have complete days of "normal", perhaps only sections of my day(s), which in itself is good.

I am highly sensitive to noise and light and, the noise especially, can pull me out of feeling "good" into almost a panic at times.

By the way, Python, one of my favorite programming languages! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Ultraviolet

Apr 19, 2011
✟7,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
im not that bad with the sensory thing. i mean the other day i went to prom, and the only thing that annoyed me about it was that the music sucked and i couldnt talk to my prom date because she couldnt hear me it was too loud. at a baseball game, i dont really notice the noise when im with friends. noise used to bother me a lot more, now not as much.

however, there are two sensory things that continue to annoy me: eating sounds drive me crazy. but i only notice my family's eating sounds so im good with friends

the other thing is that when my family (only my family ) talks, i sometimes notice annoying sounds , like the way my dad says the letter k when it is the last letter of a word.

Upvote 0