Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Should Non-Denominational Christians be allowed to teach/argue in the Baptist forum? It seems people choose this tag and believe they can post anywhere about anything.

We have a lot of Non-Demons posting in this forum and they are definately NOT Baptists.

jm

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Should Non-Denominational Christians be allowed to teach/argue in the Baptist forum? It seems people choose this tag and believe they can post anywhere about anything.

We have a lot of Non-Demons posting in this forum and they are definately NOT Baptists.

jm
If you don't identify yourself as a Baptist then you have no right to argue or debate in the Baptist forum. I changed my icon to Calvinist at the request of someone who no longer seems to post here. I will change it back to Baptist now.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If you don't identify yourself as a Baptist then you have no right to argue or debate in the Baptist forum. I changed my icon to Calvinist at the request of someone who no longer seems to post here. I will change it back to Baptist now.
I can't seem to find the place to change my icon to Baptist.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
I can't seem to find the place to change my icon to Baptist.
User Panel - Personal Details. Put Baptist in the Church box. It will not change your icon but it does identify you as a baptist in your profile. You do not have to have Baptist in the Faith portion of your status box to post here.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
User Panel - Personal Details. Put Baptist in the Church box. It will not change your icon but it does identify you as a baptist in your profile. You do not have to have Baptist in the Faith portion of your status box to post here.

Thanks but I took care of it. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here is my thoughts:
1) If we limit to only baptists, there will not be as much discussion. Its sometimes nice to have theological discussions and debates, iron sharpens iron.
2) As long as it is predominately Baptists, I think others should be welcome.
3) I like when other denominations chime in on my posts

Upvote 0

HantsUK

Oct 27, 2009
Hampshire, England
✟215,835.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Rather than divert the "Fractured Protestantism" thread, I will ask here:

What makes someone a Baptist? Being a member or attending a Baptist Church? What if you move and then become involved in a church of a different colour, eg Anglican? Would you then cease to be a Baptist?

Simple, you need to agree with the forum's Statement of Faith. But many 'non-denominational' churches would also agree with this - does that make then effectively Baptist? Or perhaps you must have the word 'baptist' in your church name? But some Baptist churches don't. Or perhaps 'non-denominational' is very different in America than the UK. JM says that they are definitely NOT Baptist. Why not?

As a UK Baptist, I find that the Statement of Faith here is lacking an important distinctive of Baptists - congregational government. The local congregation agrees and appoints leaders, discusses and takes decisions, which is one reason why membership is important. And in the UK this is what would stop other groupings from being 'Baptist'.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
JM says that they are definitely NOT Baptist. Why not?

Why not? Because they believe in things that have never been held by Baptists in the past. Ever. It's a redefinition of the word to accommodate anyone and a reductionist view of what a Baptist is.

I changed my faith tag to Protestant because "Baptist" on CF has become so broad it really doesn't mean anything. Anyone can post here and even claim to be a Baptist while teaching modern gifts!

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Rather than divert the "Fractured Protestantism" thread, I will ask here:

What makes someone a Baptist? Being a member or attending a Baptist Church? What if you move and then become involved in a church of a different colour, eg Anglican? Would you then cease to be a Baptist?

Simple, you need to agree with the forum's Statement of Faith. But many 'non-denominational' churches would also agree with this - does that make then effectively Baptist? Or perhaps you must have the word 'baptist' in your church name? But some Baptist churches don't. Or perhaps 'non-denominational' is very different in America than the UK. JM says that they are definitely NOT Baptist. Why not?

As a UK Baptist, I find that the Statement of Faith here is lacking an important distinctive of Baptists - congregational government. The local congregation agrees and appoints leaders, discusses and takes decisions, which is one reason why membership is important. And in the UK this is what would stop other groupings from being 'Baptist'.

Um no. I have always attended Baptist churches. Still do. But I reject the guidelines for what makes a Baptist here. But I will not argue my point here to respect the rules. I don't argue the issues in my church either. Its only in the past few years I changed my stance on baptism. I understand the baptist view. Iif I e er need to argue the point I can go to the debate area.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others

I agree. We have a lot of posters in this forum with an axe to grind.

Upvote 0