Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to regard myself as non-denominational, but then I found that some religious institutions are regarding themselves as non-denominational, which to me seems contradictory.

So, I’ve decided that I must be anti-denominational, because I’m anti religious institutions. In my opinion Jesus was/is that way too.

Anyone else here share the same opinion?

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You might be non-denominational in person, and be against fake non-denominations, and pro genuine and frank ones provided they are well enough run to allow you true faith and also not to interfere with each others' business (including by claiming to "draw near them").

This is where I'm coming from (the fruit of experience).

If we deny liars the power to define words for us, and if we don't reify or nominalise, we'll find that when the denominations are at their best, the diverse model is the healthiest. Let everyone apply sound principles soundly - usually a recipe for not cramping anyone's style.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, I’ve decided that I must be anti-denominational, because I’m anti religious institutions. In my opinion Jesus was/is that way too.

FWIW, I've long thought that the use of the single term "non-denominational" (for CF members as well as elsewhere) is unhelpful for that very reason.

Some people who identify as non-denominational belong to independent congregations, but others are simply unaffiliated by choice and so call themselves non-denominational for a completely different reason.

When it comes to understanding where such members are 'coming from' when reading their posts, it's often a puzzle.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might be non-denominational in person, and be against fake non-denominations, and pro genuine and frank ones provided they are well enough run to allow you true faith and also not to interfere with each others' business (including by claiming to "draw near them").

This is where I'm coming from (the fruit of experience).

If we deny liars the power to define words for us, and if we don't reify or nominalise, we'll find that when the denominations are at their best, the diverse model is the healthiest. Let everyone apply sound principles soundly - usually a recipe for not cramping anyone's style.

:thumbsup:...... determining your own salvation walk and concentrating on that, with due fear and trembling!

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FWIW, I've long thought that the use of the single term "non-denominational" (for CF members as well as elsewhere) is unhelpful for that very reason.

Some people who identify as non-denominational belong to independent congregations, but others are simply unaffiliated by choice and so call themselves non-denominational for a completely different reason.

When it comes to understanding where such members are 'coming from' when reading their posts, it's often a puzzle.

Yep, it can be confusing. I agree with the idiom ‘each to their own’. I have a full time job in trying to keep my own house in order without telling someone else how they should order theirs, but it’s really helpful to know where someone truly ‘stands’ so you can properly communicate with them.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Arn't denominations a creation of man?
At best more of God than of man, with frankness, good boundaries and concentrating on the growth of individuals, and not meddling, clinging or insinuations, as Holy Spirit fruits.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Indeed I consider myself multidenominational (what I was looking for on the forum list) and that is not the same as inter-denominational.

Denominations can't logically claim me exclusively though they may sloppily assume so.

I don't recommend mixing up "communion" ceremonies though (in fact I don't recommend taking part in those at all - one may surely be allowed to sit out - too many churches imply it is compulsory).

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Arn't denominations a creation of man?

Yes, that’s true. Jesus can’t go against His own will and prayer, which was that His followers remained unified, so denominational or non-denominational institutions can’t have been instigated by Him.

The apostles all declared the need for oneness/unity too.

It appears there’s various reasons why the denominational and non-denomination organisations came about, but as far as Jesus was/is concerned, we aren’t supposed to be divided into factions.

I often think, where would I recommend a new Christian go for fellowship, and I grieve that there is nowhere/no group I would feel confident about, that would provide wholesome training and care, that I could direct them to.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed I consider myself multidenominational (what I was looking for on the forum list) and that is not the same as inter-denominational.

Denominations can't logically claim me exclusively though they may sloppily assume so.

I don't recommend mixing up "communion" ceremonies though (in fact I don't recommend taking part in those at all - one may surely be allowed to sit out - too many churches imply it is compulsory).

Do you think Jesus might be concerned more about us being a communion of spiritually alive people, unified by faith in and faithfulness (trust and obedience) towards Him, rather than a group of people practising factionally derived variations to certain religious procedures?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stone-n-Steel

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2018
Texas
✟224,710.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I often think, where would I recommend a new Christian go for fellowship, and I grieve that there is nowhere/no group I would feel confident about, that would provide wholesome training and care, that I could direct them to.

My only method is to point them at the book and see where that leads them. Knowing that I need to follow up later. As for version I see what they have and work with it.

The trick is to hold them up till they can walk on their own in the scriptures. The enemy has been attaching the message from the beginning (Gen 3:1-4).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Are any of them attempting to do so?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I used to regard myself as non-denominational, but then I found that some religious institutions are regarding themselves as non-denominational, which to me seems contradictory.

"Anti-denominational" doesn't seem less contradictory IMO. Both terms need to clearly defined and explained to outsiders in order to make sense.

Being "anti-denominational" to a point is a component of being "non-denominational" but it sounds too negative by itself. One of the things I like about being non-denominational is being free to consider views from different denominations that disagree with each other.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well. I just think Jesus must be grieving that, even though we may be in different spots, we aren’t all on the same page.

But, the divisions have been going on for a long time, and all you can do is be true to self, and listen intently for the voice and call of The Great Shepherd, always.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Being "anti-denominational" to a point is a component of being "non-denominational" but it sounds too negative by itself. One of the things I like about being non-denominational is being free to consider views from different denominations that disagree with each other.
I'm getting the idea from the responses here that most people who identify themselves as "non-denominational" are not members of any congregation...

as opposed to the other possible meaning which is holding membership in an independent congregation that doesn't belong to any denomination and probably has a fairly uncomplicated statement of beliefs.

Do you or Tony (or anyone else) agree?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Anti-denominational" doesn't seem less contradictory IMO. Both terms need to clearly defined and explained to outsiders in order to make sense.

Yes. I remember as I meandered, as it were, through different denominations you could see certain strengths of piety and service on show that weren’t evident in others. So it seemed to me we would be better off having all these prevalent in every Christian community. A football team is not made up of everyone occupying the same position, it’s made up of persons with skills that operate in specific team positions, and they all work together under the same game plan to achieve success.

Reactions: Sketcher
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm getting the idea from the responses here that most people who identify themselves as "non-denominational" are not members of any congregation...

as opposed to the other possible meaning which is holding membership in an independent congregation that doesn't belong to any denomination and probably has a fairly uncomplicated statement of beliefs.

That is very possible. Don't judge all non-denominational Christians by what you see here.

Upvote 0

Tony B

Oct 7, 2018
Tin Can Bay, Queensland
✟28,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Can’t say Albion, can’t say...not enough info on individuals for me to assess....there’s probably a mix.

I don’t believe it is good for anyone to live in isolation, we all need some social interaction, some more than others.

I’m independent because I believe that’s what God wants me to be. I don’t feel I’m without a congregation as such, because I am a member of the worldwide church of God. But I am without fellowship, which is not good.

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
... that most people who identify themselves as "non-denominational" are not members of any congregation...

as opposed to the other possible meaning which is holding membership in an independent congregation that doesn't belong to any denomination and probably has a fairly uncomplicated statement of beliefs ...

In my case I was "attending" never seeing the need to be "member" and was often accepted into groups as such. Some churches have a complicated set of beliefs they imply on the quiet and when these emerge one has to fly by the seat of one's pants. I always have anyway.

Upvote 0