dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟622,315.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It sounds like you would fit well in one of the conservative Presbyterian churches or the new ACNA Anglican church. You might even find yourself welcomed in a conservative Lutheran church, such as a Missouri Synod or Wisconsin Synod congregation (shameless plug! ;)).

A bit far for me to travel, like 2000 odd miles! Im not in the US.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
No probs, there probably are similiar churches here (n. ireland), though I think however there are very few Lutheran congregations.

You could maybe try visiting a different church each week of the denominations in your area and see how it goes. Also, most churches probably have a website that lists out doctrinal statements of belief that you could look at to see if there's anything that is a serious conflict for you. Even churches within the exact same denomination can be different, so don't discount the whole denomination based on one church if there are others you can visit.

• Agree
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,975.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No probs, there probably are similiar churches here (n. ireland), though I think however there are very few Lutheran congregations.
From what I recall, the fastest growing Church in the Emerald Isle at the moment is the Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, i could call myself presbyterian maybe, or just protestant? But I don't goto to a presbyterian church anymore, and i like several roman catholic writers such as Guardini, Pieper and a few others.
At that point I wasn't really recommending anything in particular about what you might call yourself, but you did speak of your baptism in a Presbyterian church as though you'd been led to think it invalid, which I assure you is not the case. And, in addition, it's a popular misconception that baptism is supposed to save anyone by itself. I don't know of any denomination that teaches that. So this is simply informational stuff.

• Friendly
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Over the last two to three decades this term has been used to draw people into these churches because they don't want to be connected to a denomination convention for good reason, since really when you think about it there are no denominations in scripture, however that being said if a church hires a pastor out of seminary which is not found in scripture as well, the theology of that seminary becomes the denomination for the church that pastor heads up.

Basically everything that man was taught at his seminary, he will be beholden to as he instructs his congregation.

The important thing for each one of us is does the message we hear line up with God's Word? Also never put your trust in any man but in Christ our Savior and his spoken Word.

John 14:26 (KJV)
26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Having attended few non denominational churches I urge you to consider the following if you are thinking of attending. These also apply to denominational churches as well.

1. What is the statement of faith and what are the doctrinal statements?
2. Have them explain those and ask questions. Do they line up with some historic doctrinal statement such as the Apostles Creed? Having just taught a course on that let me say this to avoid confusion. The Apostles Creed says I believe the holy catholic church. This is NOT the Roman Catholic church but refers to the universal or worldwide church of true believers. The word catholic means universal.
3. What training does the minister have? Did he attend Bible college or seminary? Was he self taught and if so what were His primary materials and what did he study?
4. How is the church governed, do they publish or make available financial statements to members or congregants? Do they have any oversight and if so what is that oversight? Is the pastor the final and only authority in the church?
Know what you are getting into it.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0